Brendan Taylor quits Zimbabwe for county cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Reality is, he can't live off of playing for the national team alone. Zimbabwe only played around 40 days of cricket across all formats last year. Even with a central contract (if they have them), that's barely a part-time job. As sad as it is not to see him play for his country, an English county deal would provide him and his family with much greater income and security.

Exactly.

Even less cricket this year. Excluding the World Cup, 8 days of cricket across all formats.

http://icc-live.s3.amazonaws.com/cm...f Copy of FTP 2015 to 2019 as at Nov 2014.pdf

Although there are rumours Zimbabwe will tour Pakistan (in Pakistan) in May. Sad all round.

I can't help but think this will only benefit Zimbabwe in the long term.

How so?

Heath Streak, Sean Ervine and a few others have had very successful county careers in England helping promote the value of Zimbabwean players, but hasn't really translated to being a good thing for those who remain in the country.

Taking the security of a contract is a no brainer and good luck to them in doing so.

How so?

Heath Streak, Sean Ervine and a few others have had very successful county careers in England helping promote the value of Zimbabwean players, but hasn't really translated to being a good thing for those who remain in the country.

Taking the security of a contract is a no brainer and good luck to them in doing so.

I guess he's thinking that Taylor will return to Zimbabwe after his contract.

I guess he's thinking that Taylor will return to Zimbabwe after his contract.
In my opinion, it is better he take a couple of years away and then come back a better and more motivated player (ala; Marlon Samuels), than burn-out and retire for good (Tatenda Taibu), or go over later in his career and not come back at all (Mushtaq).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zimbabwe has also organised for this year home fixtures against the Windies, Pakistan, Ireland, Bangladesh and maybe Afghanistan. Promising signs for Zimbabwe cricket.

Also, if this is to be believed,India to tour Zimbabwe every year for the next five years.http://www.theindependent.co.zw/2015/06/05/zc-eyes-india-mega-deal/

Only the one Test series though against the Bangas. They're a Test nation first and foremost and should be getting a full schedule...

There's no reason he shouldn't be allowed to play for Zimbabwe. Kolpak and EU laws don't force the ICC to deem him English.

There's no reason he shouldn't be allowed to play for Zimbabwe. Kolpak and EU laws don't force the ICC to deem him English.

Who's saying he shouldn't?

It's great news, would be huge for them if they can also pry their best quick in Jarvis back from Lancashire too.

Who's saying he shouldn't?

It's great news, would be huge for them if they can also pry their best quick in Jarvis back from Lancashire too.

Jarvis is back too
http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/20825925/jarvis-leaves-lancashire-resume-zimbabwe-career

There have been so many false dawns for Zimbabwe over the last decade, but things are looking better now than they have in a while.

Yep. I've probably said it before but this time things really are looking promising for the future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back