• I'd wear one if somebody bought it for me

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Yeah, bring it back, but I wouldn't wear one

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Nah, leave it back in the 80's

Votes: 12 38.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually I think the club sold so many they sold out.
So you have probably narrowed it down to about 5000 people
They won't all be in their duffle coats at Cranbourne:rolleyes:

Ah the ritual of the duffle coat. The trip to the army disposals shop to pick one out. The selection of number and name, ensuring that you didn't double up on someone at school. The transfer of said name and number onto the duffle coat. The first wearing to school and subsequent membership of the duffle coat brigade. The pride of that membership on display walking into Vic park. The weekly purchase of badges.

My mates at school had Kink, Shaw and Daics - I opted for Denis 12 Banks. I still have my metal denim jacket from back in the day but I'd kill to have the old duffle coat.

if so much of the horrendous crap from the 80s can reappear today I don't see why this shining gem can't make a comeback. CFC should get onto it before some other club does.
I still have an "awesome" KISS "brushed" denim jacket I did by hand with the old "hobby-tex" for his 1977 school social.....
Try and get a pic to post.

So me and @sirlothie were down at our local, having a beer, reminiscing about them good ol' days, when he mentioned the prized duffle coat he had as a kid.

The duffle coat, now there's an item of apparel you don't see on the catwalks of Paris very often these days!

For the benefit of anybody born after around the 1980's, here's what they looked like:

images

Take careful note of the features of this item of clothing:

(1) The number of badges on the front was a symbol of wealth. Or fanaticism. If you had the whole team then your daddy probably drove a European sports car. Or you were one of those Collingwood fanatics who spent their Christmas money on badges instead of Donkey Kong.

(2) The coat was made of a material that soaked up the rain nicely. However it was outrageously thick. So it would take a few weeks of torrential rain before water penetrated through. The thing would weigh about 500kg after a rainy Saturday afternoon at Victoria park. And it would take a week to dry out in time for the next game. 6 day breaks were problematic.

(3) The things were warm. Very warm. Which was kind of handy in the era before global warming.

(4) The standard issue "I hate Carlton" badges.

So fashion goes in cycles ... Is it time to bring the duffle coat back?

The original? Or in a modified form?

Would you buy one?

Would you wear one if a lover bought it for you?

What would you think of others wearing them?

Or is it now exactly where it belongs, a relic of the 80's where it should remain?

One of my favourite footy traditions, bring em back I say!

Back