Preview Brisbane lions Dedicated MSD 2021 draft pick thread - Kalin Lane

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually really like the sound of Lane.

I don't think it'll impact Archie because we'd still want another ready to go backup.

My main worry is how do we develop Lane, HSmith and Fullarton in the ruck.

If Fullarton stays true to that growth spurt projection and gets to 205-210cm, we are set for long term.

We'll need just one of HSmith or Lane if that happens.

Different topic but it's going to be mighty interesting to see who's going to be unlucky players that are going to delisted at the end of the season for us cause I can't see Lane being a short-term option for us and will probably be a development player for us, in the long-term.

I think we need to delist 4 players at the end of the season so to speak for trading/drafting purposes, so it's going to be mighty fascinating what the club do, regarding contract-wise.

There's going to be some very unlucky boys being cut sadly at the club either way this year. :(

WAFL expert, Jason, or just another opportunity to dump on Archie?
Never put myself up as an expert on anything footy related, I just enjoy talking about it.... not dumping on Archie personally just his football ability, IMO 8 years on a list is enough and reading between the lines I think Lions list management are of a similar mind.

This is a footy forum where I would of thought this sort of thing is open for discussion, I have never been personally derogatory in my views re Archie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been playing Claremont reserves? 🧐
To be fair he's behind Oliver Eastland, who is one of the best rucks in the WAFL right now. Lane is a good prospect. I remember being eager to see how Shannon Neale (drafted by Geelong) went in the ruck in last year's WAFL Colts all-star game, only to find that he'd been supplanted by Lane, because some genius decided to put the two best ruck prospects in the state on the same side, and Lane was considered the better ruck. He makes a good effort around the ground and racks up plenty of possessions. Not disappointed with the pick.

The only strange thing is, we're already developing Henry Smith, and I don't believe either Smith or Lane would be ready to go at AFL level next year should Oscar pick up an injury. I would have grabbed either Eastland or Luke Strnadica, who are both around the same age Oscar was when we selected him, so they could probably step up by next year and we could comfortably delist Archie Smith. I still think Archie goes but I'm not any more confident in the ability of our ruck stocks to step up next year.

Not dumping on Archie personally just his football ability, IMO 8 years on a list is enough and reading between the lines I think Lions list management are of a similar mind.

This is a footy forum where I would of thought this sort of thing is open for discussion, I have never been personally derogatory in my views re Archie.

It's strange how some fans build a resentment towards AFL listed players who've been around for a while yet are not playing seniors eg Archie and CEY

It's strange how some fans build a resentment towards AFL listed players who've been around for a while yet are not playing seniors eg Archie and CEY
I don't find it strange and I wouldn't class it as anywhere near resentment, all it is is a personal assessment of a player on a list who I consider has under performed and has been given long enough.

Thought we might go with someone mature who could impact the senior group this finals ! Maybe a callow or one of the ex AFL boys like picket did for tigers . That said I have a good feeling about young Lane

Resentment is a bit far, but it's not a surprise that people are disappointed in those players if you've watch them play many times and they're routinely getting outplayed by the opposition.

I don't find it strange and I wouldn't class it as anywhere near resentment, all it is is a personal assessment of a player on a list who I consider has under performed and has been given long enough.

It tends to become a bit more personal though compared to assessments of someone like Wooller who was clearly not going to make it and hasn't made nearly the same sort of commitment as Archie

It tends to become a bit more personal though compared to assessments of someone like Wooller who was clearly not going to make it and hasn't made nearly the same sort of commitment as Archie
I find it interesting that Smith doesn’t get more game time as Fagan said he was the only player in the Gym when he arrived at the club he seems like a hard worker and is impressive in the NEAFL VFL when played Big O probably gets more game time because he’s able to play forward looking at a tap ruckman like Charman/Keaton type is that the type of player Lane reminds you of

Toby had 3 years on our list and was young, Archie has had 8 and should be at his peak now.

List decisions are brutal and dispassionate, commitment is great but IMO it shouldn't earn you a 9th year at an AFL club, you need to show a bit more than what Archie has.

I like the Lane pick despite seeing basically nothing of him.

It has looked to me like we have been developing H Smith as a forward/ruck and he does not look like a elite tap ruck prospect. Lane sounds like a number 1 tap ruck type. So their skill sets could actually complement each other and they could play in the same side very easily. Both are very young, with upside and on the face of it could develop and push each other.

Toby had 3 years on our list and was young, Archie has had 8 and should be at his peak now.

List decisions are brutal and dispassionate, commitment is great but IMO it shouldn't earn you a 9th year at an AFL club, you need to show a bit more than what Archie has.

IMO it should get you more respect from the fans and not the opposite which tends to be the case on here

Remove this Banner Ad

Back