Preview Brisbane Lions v Geelong - Thursday 24 June 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have the answer but in big games Andrews' strengths get nullified and he generally has problems with his direct opponent.

Is that my perception or fact ? Whatever ,we need to find a way to make him a weapon like he can be when it counts. Perhaps that can't happen until Payne becomes a regular. I don't like Andrews matching up on Hawkins nor Cameron for that matter but I suppose it has to be one of them.

As for Hipwood and Daniher playing well because of McStay ,please ,that's beyond delusional.

McStay's there to do a job , no need to kiss his feet whenever he does it with his experience. Without any deference to him at all.

I don't see why we can't beat them. I think we're evenly matched. They keep creeping over the line most weeks ,a lot falls on our forwards because their rebound from defence has been excellent all year.

I don't have the answer but in big games Andrews' strengths get nullified and he generally has problems with his direct opponent.

Is that my perception or fact ? Whatever ,we need to find a way to make him a weapon like he can be when it counts. Perhaps that can't happen until Payne becomes a regular. I don't like Andrews matching up on Hawkins nor Cameron for that matter but I suppose it has to be one of them.

As for Hipwood and Daniher playing well because of McStay ,please ,that's beyond delusional.

McStay's there to do a job , no need to kiss his feet whenever he does it with his experience. Without any deference to him at all.

I don't see why we can't beat them. I think we're evenly matched. They keep creeping over the line most weeks ,a lot falls on our forwards because their rebound from defence has been excellent all year.

Harris was dominant against Richmond in the qualifying final last year. Of course, Lynch didn't play.

If games v Port count Harris eats Dixon alive and still zones off him and influences 3rd up. I think its more specifically an issue with Geelong and Richmond who specifically gameplan for him AND have top 5 key forwards in the game as well.

I think its more specifically an issue with Geelong and Richmond who specifically gameplan for him AND have top 5 key forwards in the game as well.

Our midfield getting badly beaten in contested possession/stoppages was the primary issue against Geelong in both games last year. If you can’t win that aspect of the game against them, it will always test your defence.

In the Melbourne game our forwards took 7 or 8 contested marks in the first half but only one in the second half. Contested possessions forward also fell off a cliff. There was a complete turn around that was obvious to any one who if not completely fixated on the on ballers.

Forwards can get easy kicks if they run hard enough to get out on a lead but contested ball forward of the centre wins matches

In the Melbourne game our forwards took 7 or 8 contested marks in the first half but only one in the second half. Contested possessions forward also fell off a cliff. There was a complete turn around that was obvious to any one who if not completely fixated on the on ballers.

Forwards can get easy kicks if they run hard enough to get out on a lead but contested ball forward of the centre wins matches
We have scored more than the other TOP 4 teams in the competition and have also conceded more points than any other in the TOP 4 as well.

Yep that’s completely on the forwards. Makes no difference if the midfielders are getting the ball inside 50 less often and are moving it slowly so there are large packs in the forward line instead of winning it from clearances when there are only one on ones inside 50

just watching snippets of the north game on Foxtel Go. We need to end the Daniher ruck thing asap. It is killing him. Zero effect up front because he is so shagged from covering the ground. We need to do something about it.
I agree, we need another alternative to McStay. Someone who can offer some ruck support for Oscar so that Daniher can play as a full time forward.
I will probably get shot down for saying so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree, we need another alternative to McStay. Someone who can offer some ruck support for Oscar so that Daniher can play as a full time forward.

Maybe if you provided some explanation around your opinion you wouldn’t be shot down.

Daniher is giving us something as a forward, nothing as a pure ruck , but not bad at the contest around the ground. It seems we had the idea when we recruited him , and he did too ,that he could do both . The question is how much does he add when he's rucking and what are we losing not having him as a permanent forward.

I don't know.

If McStay could ruck , issue solved ,but he can't . Daniher isn't providing what supporters thought he would provide as a pure spearhead.

I like the idea of McStay further up the ground and Daniher back but we seem to be operating in the reverse for a lot of the time and someone has to ruck the 20% of the time Oscar isn't.

Daniher is giving us something as a forward, nothing as a pure ruck , but not bad at the contest around the ground. It seems we had the idea when we recruited him , and he did too ,that he could do both . The question is how much does he add when he's rucking and what are we losing not having him as a permanent forward.

I don't know.

If McStay could ruck , issue solved ,but he can't . Daniher isn't providing what supporters thought he would provide as a pure spearhead.

I like the idea of McStay further up the ground and Daniher back but we seem to be operating in the reverse for a lot of the time and someone has to ruck the 20% of the time Oscar isn't.
The other issue is that McStay this year has been a more reliable set shot for goal than Daniher.

just watching snippets of the north game on Foxtel Go. We need to end the Daniher ruck thing asap. It is killing him. Zero effect up front because he is so shagged from covering the ground. We need to do something about it.
For me the issue is Oscar TOG for the year is only 79.4 %(includes his 90% last week). So that has Joe doing the ruck for 20% maybe a little less for the year
Joe TOG for the year is 93.5% being second only to Andrews 97.5%. That has Joe forward 73% or a little less for the year
Oscar TOG last week went up to 90%. Could have something to do with cooler day but that is an assumption. So Joe less than 10% ruck time last week
Joe's ruck work is average but he does good work around the ground during this time
Maybe the answer is Oscar lifts his TOG by 4% to 83.4% and Joe's total TOG drops 3% to 90.5% to keep him fresh
The Club probably only wants one designated relief ruck so everyone keeps to their structure rather than say having McStay & Hippy doing some forward rucking
Comparison to other key position forwards yearly TOG %. Some don't ruck though
Darling 98.3%, Hawkins 96.5%, Dixon 95.1%, Taberner 93.9, Riewoldt 93.6, T Lynch 93.5%, JOE 93.5%, Himmelberg 91.9%, Membery 91.2%, B King 90.3%

Maybe if you provided some explanation around your opinion you wouldn’t be shot down.
Nothing against McStay, I just think that Joe was most likely brought in, to kick goals. And when he spends so much time in the middle of the ground he is not providing what we know he can when he is forward because he is just spent.

So I am just suggesting that some Ruck support for Oscar in the form of someone other than Joe would help Joe be able to do what we all know he can.
McStay just happens to be the one that for me would need to be replaced if another tall were to come into the team.
Unfortunately, I am not convinced we have that person currently on the list.

Holy Moly. I went looking for the TOG % for Big O throughout the year and stumbled on afl stats pro.

You can look at each of their involvements in the game as a video time stamped etc :eek: awesome
though the time stamps are tagged, so a single individual play of his has 8 tags which is a bit funny

anyway, after him missing R3, his TOG % has generally risen on an upwards trajectory which you guys have pointed out. I don't mind his stamina and he seems to do some good work around the ground.

The only rucking aspect I want to focus on this week is him or whoever nullifying Hawkins rucking in their F50. Its so frustrating seeing him do so well there whenever we vs them.

Pretty sure Daniher doesn't want to play as a full time forward. Might be wrong but I thought I've seen it mentioned multiple times that he likes playing up the ground & getting involved. He will always get the number one defender when he goes forward though.

Pretty sure Daniher doesn't want to play as a full time forward. Might be wrong but I thought I've seen it mentioned multiple times that he likes playing up the ground & getting involved. He will always get the number one defender when he goes forward though.
That would be fantastic if he could actually compete in the ruck.
Ground level great, but in the contest of the ruck itself, not so great.

Nothing against McStay, I just think that Joe was most likely brought in, to kick goals. And when he spends so much time in the middle of the ground he is not providing what we know he can when he is forward because he is just spent.

So I am just suggesting that some Ruck support for Oscar in the form of someone other than Joe would help Joe be able to do what we all know he can.
McStay just happens to be the one that for me would need to be replaced if another tall were to come into the team.
Unfortunately, I am not convinced we have that person currently on the list.

Sure if we had someone who could play McStays role but also ruck better than Joe then that would be great but the messaging from the club is that Joe wants to ruck and our forward line is working very well.

We seem to favour and work best with Charlie as the main target anyway

Sure if we had someone who could play McStays role but also ruck better than Joe then that would be great but the messaging from the club is that Joe wants to ruck and our forward line is working very well.

We seem to favour and work best with Charlie as the main target anyway

Just to clarify, Joe, despite not being played as a pure forward is scoring 1.5 goals a game. Not shabby.

EDIT: AND HAS PLAYED EVERY GAME

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back