Preview Brisbane Lions v Geelong - Thursday 24 June 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure if we had someone who could play McStays role but also ruck better than Joe then that would be great but the messaging from the club is that Joe wants to ruck and our forward line is working very well.

We seem to favour and work best with Charlie as the main target anyway
That’s why I said in the last sentence that we don’t have anyone to play the role currently.
So we may be going the current path for a while yet.

Pretty sure Daniher doesn't want to play as a full time forward. Might be wrong but I thought I've seen it mentioned multiple times that he likes playing up the ground & getting involved. He will always get the number one defender when he goes forward though.
Pretty sure he doesn't enjoy being the ruckman while Big O has a break but he is happy about doing whatever the team needs him to do.
Don't agree at all with your comment about him always getting the number 1 defender when he goes forward. If you watch the game you will see Hippy and Joey always share both key defenders and there is no definate pattern that shows Joey getting the number 1 defender any more than Hippy does.

Happier with a forward line we do not depend on Joe, Charlie or Hippy to kick 5 to win a game.
Hipwood was on the improve and seemed to have more belief in the second half of last year, so not all to do with Joe here.
When Joe goes up the ground he brings in Charlie and Hipwood with the space as well.
If he is happy to do it for the team, I have no problem Stef was a better ruck although gave us less in the forward line as a target.
I think so far been great so far. Yes not 2017 All Australian form although been solid. He also kicked a goal every week and avg 15 disposals.

Think the forward line as a whole been pretty good. Our delivery into it at times has lacked.
Only thing I say a negative really is sometimes there is a lack of movement leading. Although seems we like that all over the ground so must be game plan.
Where you notice a lot of sides play one on one and small leads and kicks, sometimes not even 15m :) Although not really how we do things

Would be happy with Coleman coming out for Zorks and no other changes. Matho's bigger body could be handy in the middle and I love how he gets under the skin of Selwood. Berry stays as sub.

I'm not expecting a win, I think Geelong are just a bit stronger at the moment and I think we're a defender short. A match fit Gardiner or Payne would make a difference. We've gotta be good for 4qtrs to stay with them, very good for 4qtrs to beat them. Lets see what we've got.

Would be happy with Coleman coming out for Zorks and no other changes. Matho's bigger body could be handy in the middle and I love how he gets under the skin of Selwood. Berry stays as sub.

I'm not expecting a win, I think Geelong are just a bit stronger at the moment and I think we're a defender short. A match fit Gardiner or Payne would make a difference. We've gotta be good for 4qtrs to stay with them, very good for 4qtrs to beat them. Lets see what we've got.

I agree that they are stronger, and I also think they are smarter at the nasty little put your opponent off way.

Expect this to get a bit dirty, and we are still learning how to play against that style.

just watching snippets of the north game on Foxtel Go. We need to end the Daniher ruck thing asap. It is killing him. Zero effect up front because he is so shagged from covering the ground. We need to do something about it.
From what I have seen, daniher seems to be okay rucking from the boundary line, his issue is centre bounces. He seems to be afraid of going in too hard (likely due to Hai injury history). The problem is, he is always throwing himself into packs during games, so I'm sure why he is such a hesitant centre ruckman

The problem is, he is always throwing himself into packs during games, so I'm sure why he is such a hesitant centre ruckman

From seeing the various injuries at centre bounces, one is two colliding bodies come at each other from opposite directions whereas the other is usually everyone moving the same direction or some moving and stop standing still. The former opens up a lot more violent and higher speed collisions.

From what I have seen, daniher seems to be okay rucking from the boundary line, his issue is centre bounces. He seems to be afraid of going in too hard (likely due to Hai injury history). The problem is, he is always throwing himself into packs during games, so I'm sure why he is such a hesitant centre ruckman
Has Daniher ever played in defence? He could take the gorilla type and let Harris intercept. he could ruck down back as well. Excellent field kicker as well.

???????????

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully Matho, be very harsh on Dev. But I can see the appeal of having another big body in the midfield for the cats.

I think you lose very little in toughness or power with Dev and gain a huge amount in mobility and defensive pressure. Rhys may be a strong body but he lumbers around.

I admire Matho’s persistence but for me it is clear cut.

It would be a shock to me if Matho is selected over Dev, we'll know in a couple of hours.

Can't see it happening. Dev has a much higher ceiling and is performing better than Matho.

From seeing the various injuries at centre bounces, one is two colliding bodies come at each other from opposite directions whereas the other is usually everyone moving the same direction or some moving and stop standing still. The former opens up a lot more violent and higher speed collisions.
Daniher doesn't contest at all front on body on body and takes his chances on sharking his opponent. Obviously the coaches are happy with this because he's been doing it since Day 1.

A bit off putting to look at but I'd imagine they've run the numbers on it.

Bit of a risk not playing Payne IMO. As others have said Coleman is very lucky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back