Preview Brisbane Lions v Western Bulldogs, Round 4, Saturday April 10, 1:35 PM, MARS Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are the Dogs midfield group better than ours as most seem to be suggesting?

Lachie Neale - Marcus Bontempelli.
Jarryd Lyons - Tom Liberatore.
Zac Bailey - Adam Treloar.
Jarrod Berry - Lachie Hunter.
Hugh McCluggage - Jack Macrae.
Dayne Zorko - Bailey Smith.
Mitch Robinson - Josh Dunkely.
Tom Berry - Lachlan McNeil.
Deven Robertson - Laitham Vandermeer.

Don't really see that much in it, very even groups IMO, Lachie Neale out would be a big loss though.

Don't really see that much in it, very even groups IMO, Lachie Neale out would be a big loss though.

Bulldogs better because they get heaps of junk disposals

Ahhh I'm with you now.

Yeah I reckon it'll come down to how well our mids do. If we can break even and stop their run into their forward line our back line will be fine and our forwards should be the difference.

Maybe I just don't rate the Dogs as high as I should but they seem overrated.
They're due for a reality check like Essendon did us round 4 2019 after we started 3-0. They're a good side but I think they're flying higher than where they are actually at. Whereas hopefully after last week's win our season has officially started and we should be a class above.

More dynamic maybe, but I wouldn’t say better.
They just play a more electric and dynamic style of play.
But as long as we defend well and our midfield compete hard our forward will smash their defenders.

Their point of difference, and it’s a pretty big one imo, is that we don’t have a Bont. I think we can match up the rest but Bont is the man.

Overall their midfield is more versatile than ours and a lot faster on the spread (imo).

Our midfield is good and can still take it to the Dogs and win but a lot more has to go right for us.

I actually think they have a few players better speed through the mid
Not just Bont. Yes we missing that big bodied mid that can open up a game.
Neale is fantastic player, so to Clugga and Lyons. Although we miss Rayner.

Rayner would have us comfortably in front and we still have Ely waiting in the wings

Must admit have never heard of Laitham Vandermeer

Try ranking the mids from 1 to 18 on current form.

1. Bontempelli
2. Dunkley
3. Macrae
4. Smith
5. McCluggage
6. Zorko
7. ?

Rayner would have us comfortably in front and we still have Ely waiting in the wings

Until we see what Ely is capable of, he’s not even in the conversation. I’m sure the Dogs have prospects as well, who they have hopes for.

1. Bontempelli
2. Dunkley
3. Macrae
4. Smith
5. McCluggage
6. Zorko
7. ?

Poor measurement given the quality of opposition both teams have faced.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Bontempelli
2. Dunkley
3. Macrae
4. Smith
5. McCluggage
6. Zorko
7. ?
I was going to mention Jarryd Lyons but a couple have got in before me, also extremely confident that our Brownlow Medalist will turn his form around quickly, Bailey very close to that group as well.

Dogs have a very good midfield and ours compares favourably IMO, our group has been good enough for consecutive 2nd place H&A finishes and defeated the eventual premiers in the finals last year, pretty good pedigree. However like any good midfield group we will have to apply relentless pressure on MARS on Saturday otherwise we will make them look like the GOAT of midfields.

I love what Rayner can/will be but right now I don't understand why he is rated so high as he really hasn't dominated a game yet. Until he does that, he will be an exciting but unproven player for me. I don't get the high rating on him based on what he has done thus far in his career.
Lachie would negate the Bont if fit but he is obviously carrying an injury that is holding him back. So for now The Bont is a major threat. J.Berry coming back from a 3 week break isn't ideal either.
For me the Dog's midfield is significantly better & our main challenge if we are to win this game. (especially with Big O missing and Steff ready to show his old club how big a mistake it was to let him go.) If we can stop their midfield from dominating, we will come away with the points.

If there ever was a game to have a fit ruckman it's this one. Oscar will be vital to stop them from dominating at the clearances. Once they get it they will burn us so we have to be big there.

Hope Fagan has gone man on man down back as well. If the dogs get out from clearances they will burn us with speed and overlap. Can't have a very slow Andrews and Lester lagging behind their forwards.

I love what Rayner can/will be but right now I don't understand why he is rated so high as he really hasn't dominated a game yet. Until he does that, he will be an exciting but unproven player for me. I don't get the high rating on him based on what he has done thus far in his career.
Lachie would negate the Bont if fit but he is obviously carrying an injury that is holding him back. So for now The Bont is a major threat. J.Berry coming back from a 3 week break isn't ideal either.
For me the Dog's midfield is significantly better & our main challenge if we are to win this game. (especially with Big O missing and Steff ready to show his old club how big a mistake it was to let him go.) If we can stop their midfield from dominating, we will come away with the points.

Our mids can probably read Stefs ruckwork pretty easily.

Rayner does a lot of things well which are often overlooked by fans - pressure, really skilled and clean work inside 50, yadadada. I often think he is sometimes underrated around here.

I don’t think anyone is saying he is dusty but he is a solid and highly skilled player.

Rayner does a lot of things well which are often overlooked by fans - pressure, really skilled and clean work inside 50, yadadada. I often think he is sometimes underrated around here.

I don’t think anyone is saying he is dusty but he is a solid and highly skilled player.

I have never overlooked the things he does & I am a fan of his but he still hasn't dominated a game like some talk.

Putting him & Dusty together would be delusional .....i dont think anyone would be so biased to say as such. Solid & highly skilled is a good description.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back