Injury Brisbane's injury list needs to be talked about.

Remove this Banner Ad

+ IMO a fair portion can be attributed to morale and culture.

A mind under stress will be more likely put its body under stress.

Also, when morale is up, good diet, good training for injury prevention, good recovery, good rehab, good motivation to get back after injury are all much easier to do.

And when the mind is happy, the body heals better after exercise and injury.

It’s often said that teams perform well because their injury lists are short, but IMO the causal link can also be the other way around: the injury list is short because the team is performing well.

Or sometimes s**t happens. Hawks had massive issues all through 2014, including losing a coach for 5 weeks. But their belief never faltered.

Lose a soldier, replace a soldier is something Clarko has said for a decade. Its never an excuse. And whoever comes in to the team is expected to earn their spot.

Some years a team has a really good run and the next year they get smashed with injury. Some of it partly comes down to luck, some of it is down to good injury management.

Brisbane’s active list is incredible at the moment and of course it flows through to Reserves as well. When the Swans played their Reserves in the NEAFL a couple of weeks ago the Lions apparently had over 700 games of AFL experience running around compared to the Swans less than 100. Nice depth :)!

Good luck to them though, let’s see if they can make the most of it now finals are about to start.

Some years a team has a really good run and the next year they get smashed with injury. Some of it partly comes down to luck, some of it is down to good injury management.

Brisbane’s active list is incredible at the moment and of course it flows through to Reserves as well. When the Swans played their Reserves in the NEAFL a couple of weeks ago the Lions apparently had over 700 games of AFL experience running around compared to the Swans less than 100. Nice depth :)!

Good luck to them though, let’s see if they can make the most of it now finals are about to start.
The Lions domination of the NEAFL is a different convo. NEAFL has definitely been talked about as an extremely uneven competition.

I think the NEAFL Lions haven't lost a game this year?

Yup:

P​
W​
L​
%​
Pts​
BRISBANE LIONS​
18​
18​
0​
224.29​
72​
SOUTHPORT SHARKS​
18​
13​
5​
108.19​
52​
ASPLEY HORNETS​
19​
11​
8​
122.93​
44​
SYDNEY SWANS​
19​
11​
8​
100.56​
44​
SYDNEY UNIVERSITY​
19​
9​
9​
99.22​
38​
GWS GIANTS​
19​
9​
10​
82.49​
36​
GOLD COAST SUNS​
18​
8​
10​
92.39​
32​
CANBERRA DEMONS​
18​
7​
10​
96.07​
30​
REDLAND BOMBERS​
18​
3​
15​
80.66​
12​
NT THUNDER​
18​
2​
16​
59.96​
8​

In my 40+ years of footy memory i cannot recall a side coming from downright tripe for several seasons, with some improvement late in '18 to win 5 games after being just one win at the bye, to be a Premiership contender the following year. Only the Pies in '77 after being bottom in '76 and the Lions themselves in '99 after being bottom in 1998 kind of replicate that, but each of those sides were finalists in the preceding seasons, and had one outlier year of crap.

Freo went from a 2-20 season in 2001 to Preliminary Finalists in 2003, but what the Lions have done this season is something extraordinary. Obviously the lack of injuries must be a significant factor, it was somewhat galling as a Cats fan to see Linc McCarthy take the screamer to win the game a fortnight ago when at Geelong over 7 years he'd pull a hamstring pouring the milk into his cornflakes. Hasn't missed a game this season and has just about doubled his career games tally in about 1/8th of the duration of his career. Certainly other clubs might need to be offering serious coin to the Lions training/fitness staff.

Luck definitely matters, but IMO there's a reason why the same clubs always seem to either have great runs with injury or bad runs.

Agreed. Collingwood and GWS the last couple of years have been shot with injuries. I feel like it’s deja vu with Collingwood. They have been able to find players to fill those missing spots but still, that can’t continue forever. Adelaide was another one where last year it seemed as if every second week another player went down with a soft tissue injury. Freo hasn’t been good either.

Richmond for instance was just bad luck.

Amazing how Hodgey has tuned this club around. Even sorting out their injury problems.

Must have them on the Light n Easy.

If Hodge ever injured his pointing finger our back line would suffer.

Seriously though there was a story of Hodge spying our guys drinking coke or something and made them drink water instead

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In my 40+ years of footy memory i cannot recall a side coming from downright tripe for several seasons, with some improvement late in '18 to win 5 games after being just one win at the bye, to be a Premiership contender the following year. Only the Pies in '77 after being bottom in '76 and the Lions themselves in '99 after being bottom in 1998 kind of replicate that, but each of those sides were finalists in the preceding seasons, and had one outlier year of crap.

Freo went from a 2-20 season in 2001 to Preliminary Finalists in 2003, but what the Lions have done this season is something extraordinary. Obviously the lack of injuries must be a significant factor, it was somewhat galling as a Cats fan to see Linc McCarthy take the screamer to win the game a fortnight ago when at Geelong over 7 years he'd pull a hamstring pouring the milk into his cornflakes. Hasn't missed a game this season and has just about doubled his career games tally in about 1/8th of the duration of his career. Certainly other clubs might need to be offering serious coin to the Lions training/fitness staff.
I thought West Coast went from a spoon to finals one time? I could be wrong.

Yeah 2010/2011.

if you see injuries such as hamstring, calf, quad....basically any muscle injuries, fingers are generally pointed at the way the players have been prepared.
Yes but you can't do anything about someone falling on your player's knee in a tackle.

If Hodge ever injured his pointing finger our back line would suffer.

Seriously though there was a story of Hodge spying our guys drinking coke or something and made them drink water instead

“The fridge was available for whatever you wanted. A couple of the young kids went in and grabbed a can of coke and started ordering their lunch.

“Hodgey goes nah, nah, nah – grabbed about six bottles of water and just walked the line and said we’re past this stage now boys, let’s be fair dinkum.

“Since that moment, I can’t remember seeing a bloke with a soft drink in his hand, it instantly had an impact.

Hydration Hodgey, they should call him.

Hydration Hodgey, they should call him.
“I think as a whole team, nutrition has been one of the biggest turning points at our club this year,” Zorko said.

“We added a new dietitian. One thing that’s really important with that is the older guys buy in and set that example and Hodge certainly led the charge by that.”

Who is the dietitian? Needs a medal!

“I think as a whole team, nutrition has been one of the biggest turning points at our club this year,” Zorko said.

“We added a new dietitian. One thing that’s really important with that is the older guys buy in and set that example and Hodge certainly led the charge by that.”

Who is the dietitian? Needs a medal!
Pip Taylor and Brittany Kelly.

There is obviously some luck involved, but too many people think that good injury runs are pure luck. I don’t think that’s the case. There are elements of good injury management too. Clubs are the ones who set out rehabilitation programs and different programs will have varying levels of success if we’re going to be honest. This is also the case with general training regimes.

Brisbane are having a good run with injuries this year. Whether luck played a big role in their run is something we’ll have to see in the next few years.
From what I understand, modern physio theory thinks there is a lot less luck than we previously thought. There is a lot of study happening at the moment preemptive training to be "strong" enough to avoid injury. I believe that the lions fitness staff have/are publishing some of the work they have done over the last 2 years

Only 22 spots in the AFL, 22-23 in the NEAFL. Might need to find a thirds side to play the 45th-47th best players in over the next few weeks ;)

No coincidence that the teams that generally do well in September are the teams with their players on the park.
Interesting observation. You’d assume so, but both Collingwood and West Coast made the GF with many injuries on the run in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back