Bruce MacAvaney openly barracking for Hawthorn in commentary

Remove this Banner Ad

Quit your swearing.

Roll your eyes and be all indignant all you like. Hawthorn have rightly had a shed load of praise over the past few years and the hard done by act doesn't wash.

I am quite willing to accept much or even all of it is simply down to the fact that Hawthorn have threepeated and that it's more about him simply over-gushing about successful teams in general. It's quite likely not a Hawks specific thing and you referencing him gushing over 1999-2001 Essendon doesn't bother me because yes, he most certainly did. He does it over whoever is successful.

Doesn't make it any less unprofessional.

Quit your swearing.
I wasn't swearing harshly at you, hence the customised spelling. That should've been taken as a good-natured friendly "GTFO" :):thumbsu:
Roll your eyes and be all indignant all you like. Hawthorn have rightly had a shed load of praise over the past few years and the hard done by act doesn't wash.
The Hawks have received no more praise than you'd expect from a team who has reached the past 4 Grand Finals, won the past three and won 100 of their past 126 matches by an average of 8 goals. It does not even come close to the geyser of goo for Geelong when the Cats enjoyed their dominant period from 2007 to 2011 (and continued to receive from 2012 to 2014)

Since 2010, I'd say the TV commentators have fawned over the Hawks (3 flags) just as much as they have for Collingwood (1 flag), Sydney (1 flag) and West Coast (0 flags). No more, no less. It has never reached the Geelong levels, or the Essendon 1999-2001 levels.
I am quite willing to accept much or even all of it is simply down to the fact that Hawthorn have threepeated and that it's more about him simply over-gushing about successful teams in general. It's quite likely not a Hawks specific thing and you referencing him gushing over 1999-2001 Essendon doesn't bother me because yes, he most certainly did. He does it over whoever is successful.
Yep. It's what commentators do. They relentlessly gush over the 2 or 3 superstars from each team and they relentlessly gush over the successful teams. It only ever becomes an issue for TV viewers when they hate the team in question, or get sick of their success. You didn't complain when Brucey crapped on about the Bombers. You loved every second of it. I hated it.

2015 was probably the first time Hawthorn received due reverence from the media. Going B2B in 2014 and thrashing Sydney by 10 goals probably switched a few light bulbs on over people's heads. The Hawks had to win 2 flags and march towards a 3rd before they were hyped up. Can you imagine the hype if Colingwood, Carlton or Essendon 3peated? It would be off the f**kin chain...

Whenever Hawthorn has been involved in a close game vs Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, Geelong or Sydney, the Channel 7 commentators have quite openly barracked against us. Opposition inside fifties usually have them SCREAMING with excitement, while the Hawthorn goals receive muted response (unless it was Buddy or Cyril who did something.) So I just laugh & roll my eyes when anyone claims Channel 7 is biased in our favour..

Doesn't make it any less unprofessional.
Bruce is the ultimate professional. He has consciously become unbearable over the last 10 years because that's how the producers want him to be. They encourage their commentators to play up the entertainment angle, the "witty" banter, the excessive hype and the gushing praise.

We heap s**t on Bruce, Denis, BT, Richo, Darcy, Basil and Rompingwins, but the fault lies with the Producer/Bosses who demand they act like idiots to increase the ratings. e.g. A boring Friday night game last year when Hawthorn def Carlton by 100 points and Wayne Carey said Sam Mitchell would not get a game for any other club.

WTF?!?! :rolleyes:
Good one, Pluck-a-duck. That's it. Talk s**t; create controversy; get Twitter to explode; boost the ratings…
Keep up the good work, boys... :thumbsdown:

Last edited:
I hope one day I can come on here and complain about Bruce Gushing or not Gushing enough over the Crows after we have played in 4 GF's in a row. Please god let it happen!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back