Bruce Springsteen

Remove this Banner Ad

Remember our daughter REH? Today we all waited on the rail for 6 hours for him to arrive. The car door opened, he sees her as he’s climbing out and his face lit up. He made sure he got back to her to sign her Playbill, my show poster..... and wife’s wrist.... :p:p

Haha great stuff H. Your daughter and her big bright smile would win anybody over. Not as good as getting her up on stage to sing Waitin' on a Sunny day, but close enough.

Sounds like you had a great show. I get the tears flowing out of nowhere. Happens to me over many songs. Bruce's and others.

SOB to be released on iTunes, coinciding with the Netflix release.....

Hopefully there's a vinyl version too.

In other news, i just got this back from the framer..... :)

View attachment 580711

That looks awesome !!

I have just had three original photos re-framed from his '85 Melbourne Showgrounds show. Unfortunately, mine aren't signed......

I will take some photos and post them up if anyone wants to see them?

That looks awesome !!

I have just had three original photos re-framed from his '85 Melbourne Showgrounds show. Unfortunately, mine aren't signed......

whack 'em up.

That looks awesome !!

Best one I have is Bruce and Stevie playing Glory Days at the Feb 4 AAMI night...it is a magic shot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last night I read this Rolling Stone article about Springsteen on Broadyway reviewing its debut in October 2017. Embedded in the story is a 40 minute audio of 2 RS journo's talking about the show. Its worth listening to as there is discussion about the show and some history about previous acoustic performances. See

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...-broadway-show-is-an-intimate-triumph-196969/

They made an interesting point that this might be the future of how very successful musicians might end up doing shows late in their career, especially the ones with a loyal fan base and have reputation for great live performances and can charge high ticket prices.

As they discussed, he charges a shitload, its now 213 or so shows in, when they previewed it I think 60 or 70 had been scheduled, its close to home, he can drive to the show to perform, its low cost, don't have to pay all these extra musicians, roadies, technical people, its an easy management process, its a set routine and not jumping on planes and changing accommodation and the physical grind of a tour. Its a regular set gig 5 nights a week, and Bruce probably isn't as wired at the end of it like after a 15,000 indoor or 75,000 stadium show. He is 69 and time catches up with everyone.

So I looked at some numbers. All USD. The ticket prices are two categories/price range $500 to $800 and $75 to $400 seat allocations. The theatre holds 975 people.

So a simple equation is, 200 shows x 1,000 people x $400 average ticket is $80,000,000 gross. Even if you take off 10% for freebies, its 975 seats etc, its still around $70m with low overheads.

These are the figures from Wiki pages of his last 3 tours

The River Tour 2016-17 - 89 shows $306m, 2.486m attendees of possible 2.520m tickets available

High Hopes Tour 2014 - 34 shows $64m, 554,000 attendees of possible 586.800 tickets available

Wrecking Ball Tour 2012-13 - 133 shows $340m, 3.378m attendees, 3.456m tickets available

So whilst the gross takings isn't as high, the net after costs and other considerations he might be better off, given no travelling, staying home, set routine, 2 days off a week, no touring grind etc.

I wonder if Mick and Keith might start doing shows in London 5 nights a week, at a small theatre?

As they discussed, he charges a shitload, its now 213 or so shows in, when they previewed it i think 60 or 70 had been schedules, its close to home, he can drive to the show to perform, its low cost, don't have to pay all these extra musicians, roadies technical people, its an easy management process, its a set routine and not jumping on planes and changing accommodation and the physical grind of a tour. Its a regular set gig 5 nights a week, and Bruce probably isn't as wired at the end of it like after a 15,000 indoor or 75,000 stadium show. He is 69 and time catches up with everyone.

Being close to home with his mum's deteriorating health is probably a factor as well.

P.S. it's worth every cent and more...... :D:thumbsu:

Being close to home with his mum's deteriorating health is probably a factor as well.

P.S. it's worth every cent and more...... :D:thumbsu:
Forgot about that. They didn't mention that in the RS audio or article but it was discussed in another preview I read, think one from March this year, that he explains how mum is 92 but has had dementia for a few years.

Forgot about that. They didn't mention that in the RS audio or article but it was discussed in another preview I read, think one from March this year, that he explains how mum is 92 but has had dementia for a few years.

Yep, 7 years now.

Adele and Patti's mum live in the same retirement village in NJ.

We went past there on Stan Goldstein's tour recently.

This is the review from Variety, the entertainment industry magazine, I read last night that mentioned Adele and her 7 years with Alzheimer’s disease, its from March this year, and talks about how the show had evolved of the 5 months from its October 2017 debut. You lucked out Hodges 153!, He started his run on Broadway not signing autographs

https://variety.com/2018/music/news...ths-in-how-is-the-boss-holding-up-1202728098/

Following are several more observations about how the show has progressed:

1) The first change was evident even before we’d entered the Walter Kerr. At the beginning of the run, Springsteen seemed overwhelmed by fans waiting outside the theater, hoping for selfies and a handshake. But on Wednesday, he emerged from his ride with a sharpie at the ready, gamely posing for photos and signing albums for fans.

I had to look up what a sharpie is. It couldn't mean a 1960's Oz gang. Its a brand name of a texta.

He makes $250,000 a show.
I assume that's gross earnings not net.

975 seats. lets say 50 freebies to entertainment mates etc = 925 sold. That's $270 aver per ticket.

200 shows = gross $50m

Sorry, $500,000. $2.5m a week, and yeah, gross.
Ah that makes more sense. That's $100m+ for the 213 shows so far and closer to what I guestimated.

If he sells 975 seats thats an average of $512 per seat or if sells on average 925 per show after freebies, that's an average of $540 per seat sold.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back