Bruce William McAvaney - The always updating Quotes Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I watched a game from 1990 recently, in which he was commentating, and he was terrific. None of that dribble that pours from his mouth or from between his legs nowadays. Albeit he was working with Don Scott and Peter McKenna. What went wrong Bruce?
Even in 2001. I've watched the Grand Final between Brisbane and Essendon about 652 times, and he called it brilliantly.

Never been the same since 7 got the rights back.

I love his enthusiasm.

Talks over Dennis sometimes. Other than that, if you were a Crows fan last night, it made an exciting game pretty memorable.

Drink whenever Bruce says:

"Hooooking baaaaaaaack..."
"..a little toe poke.."
"oooh they're right in this"

or whenever he relinquishes any responsibility for what are his own statements, such as:

"you reckon.."
"you feel.."
"you think.."

...and throw in a "don't you?" at the end of any of these just to further distance himself from his own views of the game.

Also, whenever he abruptly cuts shorts one sentence to excitedly leap into a new and separate train of thought without ever resolving the initial thought.

Drink to any of these rules and you'll be getting your stomach pumped by half time.

Last edited:
I love his enthusiasm.

Talks over Dennis sometimes. Other than that, if you were a Crows fan last night, it made an exciting game pretty memorable.

I thought his "greatest night in South Australian football history" call was a bit much (especially coming from a South Australian who is knowledgeable on the history of the game in SA), and typical of some of the hyperbole he comes out with these days.

Still, I don't think he's that bad aside from that kind of stuff.

Also, whenever he abruptly cuts shorts one sentence to excitedly leap into a new and separate train of thought without ever resolving the initial thought.
No better example of this than the 'glass bowl'

5:00 mark of the video. So much WTF all round.

On Hawkins - "he's had a huge opening half. Only the two goals but it feels like he's had a 3 or 4 goal opening half...."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can he go for one match without mentioning Cyril? Last night when Varcoe ducked and weaved but then got pinged for too far Bruce made some comment along the line of, "Cyril's watching at home and thinking 'I do that every week'." Seriously if Cyril is at home when Bruce is commentating he must be pretty freaked out by the obsession Bruce has with him.

Geelong were winning and playing good footy but did they need the constant blow job from the commentary team? North supporters and neutrals deserve better.

Oh well, made up for the rd 1 Essendon-North game where he was basically barracking for North.

Jimmy Bartel's face being looked at on the bench after a head clash. Bruce "It's too pretty a face too be bandaged up, isn't it?" lmao....., obviously no answer in the affirmative and no answer at all from his co-callers except for a little laugh from Lethal!

still love him though, even though he does get a 'bit' carried away these days

Bruce has always been awkward though. i'm pretty sure it was the 2012 Brownlow and he shook Jobe's hand. and he hung on, and on, and on... and on. wouldn't let his hand go.

Drink whenever Bruce says:

"Hooooking baaaaaaaack..."
"..a little toe poke.."
"oooh they're right in this"

or whenever he relinquishes any responsibility for what are his own statements, such as:

"you reckon.."
"you feel.."
"you think.."

...and throw in a "don't you?" at the end of any of these just to further distance himself from his own views of the game.

Drink to any of these rules and you'll be getting your stomach pumped by half time.

you forgot "arches his back.."

"I think you might be training this week.....don't you?" - I never realised he had done it for so long. I thought it was only the past couple of years.
If you listen carefully, Luke Darcy has started to do the same thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back