Roast Bryce Gibbs

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the question should be asked, and answered, how different is Gibbs to the player we thought we were getting?

If it’s not much, then why are we not trying to play to his strengths

And if he is different, how the fu** did our due diligence go so wrong given our recruiting manager is his former agent

Something stinks here and it’s not just Gibb’s form

Agreed, something isn't right. You don't draft Gibbs for his defensive ability, you draft him as a midfielder who can contribute to the clearance, but then also damage sides on the outside.

I thought it was quoted from Mick Godden saying it was "to avoid mixed messaging"

The question is I guess, what's the difference between last year and this year. Whilst he wasn't amazing last year, why is he suddenly going from 4th in the B&F to suddenly struggling for a spot in the side? Is it the addition of Godden? Is it Campo in a more senior role? Is it simply a change in game plan/style? Or is it more to do with having a fit Brad Crouch/Matt Crouch/Rory Sloane?

Interestingly Greenwood was 5th in the B&F last year and similar has been relatively sidelined from midfield rotations, now spending significantly more time forward and even got dropped.

On the other hand, CEY has seemingly become the new favourite.

Lol

Jaensch retired before Pyke's first season after a long running string of off field issues.

Menzel was delisted with Dean Gore. Failed trade.

Hampton was really bad, realised he was going to be delisted and pulled the pin.
Still three players that would rather abandon a football career than play under the current regime.

Still three players that would rather abandon a football career than play under the current regime.
Francou, Bode off field

There's quite a few where it's been a square peg, round hole situation.

There's never going to be zero turnover of course but you wonder if there's a lack of flexibility in certain individuals at the club. Strong personalities who are unable to get the best out of people who are different to them. And favour those who are of similar mindset.

Gibbs, Galluci and Pick 2 for Luko, Rankine and a charity second round pick (if lucky).

GC get fair value and two ready made AFL players to boost competitiveness.

Gibbs - Minimal trade value now. Probably worth a low 2nd rounder at best. Pick 30 to 40.
Gallucci - Low 2nd rounder at best. Pick 35 to 40.

Effectively pick 2 for Luko and Rankine

Gibbs - Minimal trade value now. Probably worth a low 2nd rounder at best. Pick 30 to 40.

Which would be insane business, the Suns won't do it.

I could see Carlton giving us a 2nd rounder for him for the lols. They are pretty useless with their picks unless they are in the top 20 and dont need them.

This is another example of the totally inconsistent and bulls**t selection criteria at the AFC.

As s**t as Gibbs has been, has he been much worse than Douglas - if at all?

Essentially I think we have a strong "horses for courses" or "one game at a time" approach to selection, where we select what we feel is the best side for that weekend with a strong bias towards experience, reputation and knowledge of game plan. So effectively we drop Gibbs due to poor form, then a sport opens up and we go "well Gibbs is the next best player...", then he plays s**t and we drop him again, rinse and repeat.

We don't believe in dropping a player and making them earn their spot back in the SANFL, in fact I've no doubt that "training form", a Neil Craig relic, is still far more important than SANFL form. No we drop them, but there's a "last out, first in philosophy at play".

I think there's someone on match committee though that does have a more longer term view, but this person only gets humored on occasion, hence we saw Jenkins actually have to earn a spot for a brief period, Jones get a couple of games, Gallucci get an extended run and Davis earn a game out of the blue. Often this is done in such a way that its bound to fail, hence justifying us resorting to the tried(and failed) approach of rewarding "experience".

No matter whats lead to Gibbs' form issues, we need to now just give him a run of minimum 3 games SANFL to get some consistency and he needs to genuinely dominate the level, like he should, before he gets a recall. Now that doesn't mean a 25 possession game, 5 clearance, 4 tackle, 4 inside 50, 1 goal performance, no thats what he should be doing in the AFL. No he needs to be wracking up 40+ touches, 10+ clearances, 8 inside 50's, 4 goals... Go see what Tom Rockliff did when dropped if you need an example...

Agreed, something isn't right. You don't draft Gibbs for his defensive ability, you draft him as a midfielder who can contribute to the clearance, but then also damage sides on the outside.

The question is I guess, what's the difference between last year and this year. Whilst he wasn't amazing last year, why is he suddenly going from 4th in the B&F to suddenly struggling for a spot in the side? Is it the addition of Godden? Is it Campo in a more senior role? Is it simply a change in game plan/style? Or is it more to do with having a fit Brad Crouch/Matt Crouch/Rory Sloane?

Interestingly Greenwood was 5th in the B&F last year and similar has been relatively sidelined from midfield rotations, now spending significantly more time forward and even got dropped.

Perhaps injuries forced the MC to play him last year, largely on the ball, particularly in the first half of the season.

I wonder with an almost complete squad to choose from if they decided to push him into roles he isn't naturally good at, or demanding him to play roles that don't naturally suit him. And using defensive running is fine as an excuse if it was being pushed across the board.

Milera is another player who has been moved all over the park a seems out of sorts. Greenwood had another injury interrupted preseason. He also doesn't seem to be in his best form.

CEY is probably 1 of the few players whose form from last year has improved on their career best. I'd probably only include Keath, Kelly and ROB with him.

Tex doesn't want him around
Don't blame him
He is a cancer to the club if the gambling rumours are true
Chop him for whatever we can get and sack the person who bought him to the club

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

Just interested in the full story once it becomes known. If we can get a second round pick for him good
Would have thought so, but depends on whether the outside distractions are resolved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't blame him

The same bloke who got us a top 3 pick this year ?? Yeah nah.

Even when he's played this year, for the most part he hasn't been THAT bad. Geelong game excepted.

Greenwood suffered from a limited preseason. Still struggling to run out games.

Gibbs all to do with personal issues, though perhaps this has strained relations with his coaches.

Don't blame him

Ironically Tex who was the person whohas a coffee with him in Bryon Bay!

What a ******* disaster.

Did we not learn from Collective Minds that we should do due diligence before committing to things?
There can be no way Reid didn't know all about Gibbs.

This stinks of either personal favours over what's best for the club or the publicity angle that we 'must get Gibbs'?

Greenwood suffered from a limited preseason. Still struggling to run out games.

Gibbs all to do with personal issues, though perhaps this has strained relations with his coaches.
Hugh hasn't had anything close to a full pre season since he got here.

There can be no way Reid didn't know all about Gibbs.

This stinks of either personal favours over what's best for the club or the publicity angle that we 'must get Gibbs'?
Didn't affect him last season though did it ??

A former skipper of our club had a serious gambling problem and it didn't bother him either.

The same bloke who got us a top 3 pick this year ?? Yeah nah.

Even when he's played this year, for the most part he hasn't been THAT bad. Geelong game excepted.
Does he play every week
Does he perform every week
No
So what the heck you talking about

Does he play every week
Does he perform every week
No
So what the heck you talking about

He got dropped after kicking 2 and having 22 touches.

Granted he played poorly against Geelong but really we all know it's not about form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back