Analysis Buckley's Positional Changes

Remove this Banner Ad

For me, the problem has been too many players doing the same role.

Up until last week, we've only really flirted with Elliott in the middle, or Stephenson up the ground. So we've had De Goey, Elliott, WHE and Stephenson all playing a similar role.

Whilst I still think both Elliott and Stephenson are full forwards at heart, they were given a more defined role last week, and the system looked better.

whilst all these guys are terrific names, you can't have too many players doing the same job. So if we are going to make it work, then we need to define their roles a lot more clear and find other ways to get them involved. Only one can start the centre bound in the goal square. So it will largely be who has the better match-up. All will play a variety of roles throughout the season, but the key is that they go into a game with a defined position,

For me, the problem has been too many players doing the same role.

Up until last week, we've only really flirted with Elliott in the middle, or Stephenson up the ground. So we've had De Goey, Elliott, WHE and Stephenson all playing a similar role.

Whilst I still think both Elliott and Stephenson are full forwards at heart, they were given a more defined role last week, and the system looked better.

whilst all these guys are terrific names, you can't have too many players doing the same job. So if we are going to make it work, then we need to define their roles a lot more clear and find other ways to get them involved. Only one can start the centre bound in the goal square. So it will largely be who has the better match-up. All will play a variety of roles throughout the season, but the key is that they go into a game with a defined position,

Stephenson I am happy to leave forward. He's a special talent. I've rarely seen a player so effortlessly create space on the lead. Always timed well too.

Elliott, I reckon he's a bit of a diamond in the rough in midfield. He doesn't quite time the release of his disposals properly yet. And runs into trouble. But I reckon give him time and he will learn it and be bloody good. I'd persist with him on ball. Reckon his speed is important.

Last edited:
Yeah the VFL changes appear to be:

Appleby up forward (from defence)
Wilson to wing (from up forward)

Any others? Jen2310?

I've read Bianco off half back.

Tohill to the wing. This one seemed to work ok based on the one VFL practice game I saw before lockdown 1. Tohill couldn’t get a kick for love or money last year. On the wing he found a bit of it, used it well showed some pace.

OTOH, Wilson to the wing has me bewildered. We are crying out for new KPF talent. Wilson showed plenty last year in the VFL. Considering he hadnt played for 5 years he really showed some class. Lovely skills, moved well for a big man, good conversion, a very promising start And just looked a natural leading CHF. And then we played one of our 2 KPF prospects on the wing? Weird...

Tohill to the wing. This one seemed to work ok based on the one VFL practice game I saw before lockdown 1. Tohill couldn’t get a kick for love or money last year. On the wing he found a bit of it, used it well showed some pace.

OTOH, Wilson to the wing has me bewildered. We are crying out for new KPF talent. Wilson showed plenty last year in the VFL. Considering he hadnt played for 5 years he really showed some class. Lovely skills, moved well for a big man, good conversion, a very promising start And just looked a natural leading CHF. And then we played one of our 2 KPF prospects on the wing? Weird...

Yeah I really don't like Wilson on the wing at all. We're already battling lost time with his development. I'd be putting our effort into making him a CHF. I really liked his aggression in the contest, critical for a key forward and can't be taught.

So from the VFL we have:

Appelby up forward (from defence)
Wilson to wing (from forward)
Tohill to wing (from forward)
Ruscoe up forward (from defence)
Bianco to defence (from midfield)

Ruscoe only playd defense at the carnival . Baico played back occasionally as a Junoir (IIRC)

Stephenson I am happy to leave forward. He's a special talent. I've rarely seen a player so effortlessly create space on the lead. Always timed well too.

I think Stephenson need sto develop a more rounded game. He;s not impacting through games. I think he;ll will be a much better player through playing elsehwere.

So from the VFL we have:

Madgen was also trialled as a mid for a quarter of one scratch match. It's good that we're seeing him in a different role as there's just too many ahead of him in the third tall defender role and he doesn't have the size to hold down key back.

I'd like to see Madgen trialled forward though. His VFL backline form and style was similar to Mihocek's prior to suffering a broken jaw against Werribee in 2018. Although too small for the role at AFL level prior to basketball he played ruck, so he might not be completely lost as a forward.

Yeah I really don't like Wilson on the wing at all. We're already battling lost time with his development. I'd be putting our effort into making him a CHF. I really liked his aggression in the contest, critical for a key forward and can't be taught.

Wilson spent time on a wing last season unless I’m mistaken. I think it’s about making the best use of his pace, Athleticism, and skills while he finds his feet again given he’s missed a lot of footy. I don’t mind it. Reminds me more of a Jack Watts type than KPP.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any chance of Appleby holding down a defensive forward role at AFL? A bit of a Macaffer. C. Brown is looking a little shaky in the role right now.
Yes I want to see it, Brown's tackling was very good last season but has seemingly dropped away + doesnt kick many goals (probably because he can't kick very far). They may still prefer him for his pressure but he's been really iffy with the ball.

So from the VFL we have:

wasnt Bianco recruited as a halfback?

We saw a few more positional changes vs the Eagles, largely motivated by how bad we were getting beat.

Crisp to midfield (from defence)
Grundy to full forward (from ruck)
Mihocek to CHB (from CHF)
Moore to CHF (from CHB)

None were very effective ultimately but I really liked the thought process. I thought good decisions, bar maybe Grundy to FF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back