But it's the world game....

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 26, 2009
Japan
AFL Club
Carlton
I have a simple answer for that:

Who gives a shit.

I'm tired of being made to feel inferior just because our game is confined to Australia. Soccer people trumpeting that their game is the 'world' game and deserves some special status in a country that largely doesn't give a shit.

Piss off. I love AFL. Australia loves AFL. I don't care that it is confined to Australia. They can play soccer in Europe, South America, Africa, Asia and Mars for all I care.

If you want to play your Cup here, fine, but don't expect us Aussie AFL lovers to bend over for you... and don't f***ing interupt my season. I want to play on the grounds we always play on like the MCG.

Remember where you are and show some f***ing respect for our game. If you do this, you might be surprised to find a little respect thrown back your way.

/rant

Who gives a shit.

I'm tired of being made to feel inferior just because out game is confined to Australia. Soccer people trumpeting that their game is the 'world' game and deserves some special status in a country that largely doesn't give a shit.

Piss off. I love AFL. Australia loves AFL. I don't care that it is confined to Australia. They can play soccer in Europe, South America, Africa, Asia and Mars for all I care.

If you want to play your Cup here, fine, but don't expect us Aussie AFL loves to bend over for you... and don't f***ing interupt my season. I want to play on the grounds we always play on like the MCG.

Remember where you are and show some f***ing respect for our game. If you do this, you might be surprised to find a little respect thrown back your way.

/rant

:thumbsu: I don't care if its the 'world game' & I don't care if we get the World Cup, as long as it doesnt cause major interuptions to the AFL Season.

All this world cup stuff has done us a favour and outed all the soccer trolls though so it is good. If you don't support the AFL first then people here don't really care what you think about aussie rules football, just remember their names.

Soccer isn't the world game anyhow, World of Warcraft is, has more kids playing it than soccer.

Who gives a shit.

I'm tired of being made to feel inferior just because out game is confined to Australia. Soccer people trumpeting that their game is the 'world' game and deserves some special status in a country that largely doesn't give a shit.

If you want to play your Cup here, fine, but don't expect us Aussie AFL loves to bend over for you... and don't f***ing interupt my season. I want to play on the grounds we always play on like the MCG.

/rant

Fev! is that you? You need to calm down and have a XXXX.

Who gives a shit.

/rant

Respect is a two way street...

People that follow Soccer >>>>>>>> People that follow AFL
If we win the world cup, we will expect this majority to have a large say in how they want things run, and fair enough i say
If the people got a say in where the world cup was played, then australia wouldn't even get a look in. so lets give the people what they want.

Who gives a shit.

I'm tired of being made to feel inferior just because our game is confined to Australia. Soccer people trumpeting that their game is the 'world' game and deserves some special status in a country that largely doesn't give a shit.

If you want to play your Cup here, fine, but don't expect us Aussie AFL lovers to bend over for you... and don't f***ing interupt my season. I want to play on the grounds we always play on like the MCG.

/rant

Should soccer even really be called the "world's game." The two largest countries in the world are China and India representing 33% of the World. China used to be a soccer country, but it's a basketball country now first and foremost. In India its Cricket #1, and soccer is nowhere to be found. Pakistan and Bangladesh, also 9 figures in population, are Cricket nations too.

Now let's look at the Americas. Soccer is nothing in the US(third most populated country in the world), and Canada is a hockey country. The carribean plays baseball/cricket. Japan is a baseball country too. In Oceania we have Australia split between footy and league, PNG is a league country, and NZ and the rest of Oceania are Rugby Union Countries.

The analysis I have made shows that soccer is only dominant in Europe, Latin America, Africa, and 25% of the population of Asia. Soccer shouldn't be called the world's game, it should be called "The 3rd World's Game."

The analysis I have made shows that soccer is only dominant in Europe, Latin America, Africa, and 25% of the population of Asia. Soccer shouldn't be called the world's game, it should be called "The 3rd World's Game."

Agreed, the reason it is very popular in poor countries is because all you need is some round ball and the rules are very simple to follow for these relatively uneducated people. You don't really need goals because they are barely used. Just run in any park hitting a ball with your foot for 90 minutes and you have reproduced the premier league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who gives a shit.

/rant

:thumbsu::thumbsu: Good Post

Soccer isn't the world game anyhow, World of Warcraft is

:D

I don't care for the argument of giving priority to soccer only because it's the 'world game'.

I also don't know that anybody is using this argument??

It's not just the FFA that wants the world cup in Australia. It's the government itself.

Think of it like the Olympics, and all your fears will be absolved. It's easier to set up than the Olympics, and will bring in just as many dollars.

Oh, and one other thing :rolleyes: . . .

Has anybody realised that the World Cup will be the biggest event in Melbourne since the 1956 Olympics?

We all got into the spirit of things when we got the Commonwealth games here. The WC will be so much bigger.

I'm not against having a go for the world cup even though I don't like soccer.
If soccer is so popular in Australia, why are crowd numbers so poor to A League games? I'm assuming the crowds would be larger in Europe and played in front of packed stadiums?
The example of soccer's crowd drawing power here can't look to good for the game in the eyes of soccer's governing body for our bid if even our highest profile league can't get decent numbers to near fill stadiums on a regular basis.

I'm not against having a go for the world cup even though I don't like soccer.
If soccer is so popular in Australia, why are crowd numbers so poor to A League games? I'm assuming the crowds would be larger in Europe and played in front of packed stadiums?
The example of soccer's crowd drawing power here can't look to good for the game in the eyes of soccer's governing body for our bid if even our highest profile league can't get decent numbers to near fill stadiums on a regular basis.

Because the A-League is not as big as those leagues overseas and has confined the clubs to a salary cap, restricting the amount of good players (if any) coming here. Plus the style of football is not very attractive, even if you manage to get a high scoring game it is still of poor quality with loads of mistakes.

Although the league is in its infant stage it still lacks a second division which may or may not force the the teams in div 1 to play much better. Also instead of creating all these new teams, why not just use teams from the suburban leagues who already have a support base as this will increase the crowd numbers.

The coaches and players in the A-League also lack futbol knowledge which is why they play such unattractive games and get low crowds. If you want to compare leagues, then compare the A-league with Coca Cola League 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back