Buying a prebuilt computer - any way to not get ripped off?

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for the input to my question fellas.

I'm now considering just buying the parts and doing the build. Time poor and not having built a computer since 2005 was my issue. I'm a bit lost on all the different options for parts... however turns out my Foreman at work had put together a few. He said get the parts, bring them to work and we can do it here.

I have a centrecom close to me. So I want to try get something together for approx 2k

I'm now considering just buying the parts and doing the build. Time poor and not having built a computer since 2005 was my issue. I'm a bit lost on all the different options for parts... however turns out my Foreman at work had put together a few. He said get the parts, bring them to work and we can do it here.

I have a centrecom close to me. So I want to try get something together for approx 2k

mate building a PC is fun as.

it literally is just adult LEGO.

I know, just between work, and ubering the kids and also one cooking in the oven, time is a struggle. But now I can do it at work (on a cbd construction site) I can go down that path

how the hell u gonna build a PC whilst doing construction rofl

There are some very good tutorials on YouTube for PC building.

As HirdsTheWord said PC building is fun and just like adult lego!

Once you have assembled all your parts allow six hours to take it nice and slow on the build day.

I suggest you create an account on https://au.pcpartpicker.com/ to get started with your parts list.

I'm happy to assist with suggestions.

What are the important things for your build?

Just gaming (which games)? Any video or media editing/creating? What type of form factor? Do you want full bling or something more low key looks wise?

What resolution gaming? (what monitor do you have? is a monitor/mouse/keyboard required?)

There are some very good tutorials on YouTube for PC building.

As HirdsTheWord said PC building is fun and just like adult lego!

Once you have assembled all your parts allow six hours to take it nice and slow on the build day.

I suggest you create an account on https://au.pcpartpicker.com/ to get started with your parts list.

I'm happy to assist with suggestions.

What are the important things for your build?

Just gaming (which games)? Any video or media editing/creating? What type of form factor? Do you want full bling or something more low key looks wise?

What resolution gaming? (what monitor do you have? is a monitor/mouse/keyboard required?)

I'll have to check the monitor we have. I'll just use what we have now, with his birthday cash etc he can update it. It was a new one brought for the Mrs work so not a great deal of thought went into it. I can't even remember the brand. He has a keyboard and again if he wants better he can save up on his own.

Hes only 10 but I want it to handle more as his interests mature. He plays the usual things like fortnite, gta v, fifa, mine craft, NBA ks etc. He prefers using the keyboard to play vs controllers on the console.

Looks wise I don't care. I just want it to run the games smoothly. And it to last long enough until his knowledge on this stuff builds up and he can upgrade/build on his own.

I remember building a PC back in about 2005. Maybe even before. The thing still runs. Still loads games like mine craft. Newer stuff it useless for now, but will still load it.

I'm happy to go to about 2k. But don't want to use his young age to my advantage and get him a lemon that loads fortnite and gets him off my back lol. Which is probably what the wife prefers. But I'd rather invest a bit and get him through a bit more until he gets a job himself.

I'll have to check the monitor we have. I'll just use what we have now, with his birthday cash etc he can update it. It was a new one brought for the Mrs work so not a great deal of thought went into it. I can't even remember the brand. He has a keyboard and again if he wants better he can save up on his own.

Hes only 10 but I want it to handle more as his interests mature. He plays the usual things like fortnite, gta v, fifa, mine craft, NBA ks etc. He prefers using the keyboard to play vs controllers on the console.

Looks wise I don't care. I just want it to run the games smoothly. And it to last long enough until his knowledge on this stuff builds up and he can upgrade/build on his own.

I remember building a PC back in about 2005. Maybe even before. The thing still runs. Still loads games like mine craft. Newer stuff it useless for now, but will still load it.

I'm happy to go to about 2k. But don't want to use his young age to my advantage and get him a lemon that loads fortnite and gets him off my back lol. Which is probably what the wife prefers. But I'd rather invest a bit and get him through a bit more until he gets a job himself.
If he has the right aptitude planning and building the machine with him might be a really good project to do together.

Monitor is usually the bottle neck. Alot of people build jacked up PC's but then use a monitor not capable of getting the performance out of it.

The first thing you need to decide is if you want 1080p, 1440p or 4k resolution

best bang for your buck is 1080p at ultra high settings. The games you mentioned would work really well in 1080p also.

i made this for you quickly.

This will run anything in Ultra settings on 1080p with super high FPS and comes in around $1700, leaves for some spare cash to get updated keyboard, case fans etc etc etc etc. Will also do games in 1440p if you ever upgrade monitor.

AMD stock coolers are pretty good so i wouldn't bother wasting money on a cooler & you can buy a windows key for like $30 bucks so he can get windows 10 or 11 if he wants

Last edited:
I entered this thread for basic advice and I was shocked to read how many people build their own PCs. Impressive, and not something I'd be even close to considering doing myself. Main reason is I'm not skilled in that area.

With that said, I am in the market for a new computer. I attended my local store yesterday and I had a play around with one of their custom designed computers. I don't have a photo of the actual computer, but this is what it includes.

Basically, I just want to know if I'm being ripped off? As a previous post alluded to, I don't mind paying people for their time because it saves me the hassle.

I'm not into Gaming. I require it to be quicker than average, reliable and the main uses will be for trading, Netflix, Kayo, YouTube, Stan and general browsing. Longer term it will be used for homework (about three years away).

1665528898071.png

I entered this thread for basic advice and I was shocked to read how many people build their own PCs. Impressive, and not something I'd be even close to considering doing myself. Main reason is I'm not skilled in that area.

With that said, I am in the market for a new computer. I attended my local store yesterday and I had a play around with one of their custom designed computers. I don't have a photo of the actual computer, but this is what it includes.

Basically, I just want to know if I'm being ripped off? As a previous post alluded to, I don't mind paying people for their time because it saves me the hassle.

I'm not into Gaming. I require it to be quicker than average, reliable and the main uses will be for trading, Netflix, Kayo, YouTube, Stan and general browsing. Longer term it will be used for homework (about three years away).

View attachment 1533766
Hard to tell given the complete lack of specs in that, but it looks like it's an Intel NUC strapped to the back of a 27" monitor and a cheap keyboard/mouse. Don't know if you've seen it, but this is from their Facebook page.
309863792_505504348250862_6861327069775068074_n.jpg

Personally (unless I'm missing something) I'm not sure it's a great deal, especially given the guts of the system is likely to be this which goes for around $800.
.....and a monitor that goes for under $300
Add in about $200 for the keyboard/mouse and the Windows license it's about $1300 worth of kit that would take them about 30 minutes to build and box up. NUCs are bulletproof and it's not a horrible monitor so it's decent hardware, I guess the value of it is up to you. I can't comment on the store itself as I've never heard of them, but since it looks like a smaller place they tend to counter low volumes with higher prices.

Hard to tell given the complete lack of specs in that, but it looks like it's an Intel NUC strapped to the back of a 27" monitor and a cheap keyboard/mouse. Don't know if you've seen it, but this is from their Facebook page.
309863792_505504348250862_6861327069775068074_n.jpg

Personally (unless I'm missing something) I'm not sure it's a great deal, especially given the guts of the system is likely to be this which goes for around $800.
.....and a monitor that goes for under $300
Add in about $200 for the keyboard/mouse and the Windows license it's about $1300 worth of kit that would take them about 30 minutes to build and box up. NUCs are bulletproof and it's not a horrible monitor so it's decent hardware, I guess the value of it is up to you. I can't comment on the store itself as I've never heard of them, but since it looks like a smaller place they tend to counter low volumes with higher prices.
Thanks for that. I didn't think to check their FB site but it's definitely the same one. What impressed me the most is the tower is the size of a hard drive attached to the rear of the monitor.

I only have a 24 inch monitor atm so the 27 inch definitely appeals to me.

With your superior knowledge to me, I'm happy to be guided by you. $800 or the parts would mean $600 worth of labour for maybe 30 minutes. Most people would agree that's way too much.

I'll keep researching - thanks 👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for that. I didn't think to check their FB site but it's definitely the same one. What impressed me the most is the tower is the size of a hard drive attached to the rear of the monitor.

I only have a 24 inch monitor atm so the 27 inch definitely appeals to me.

With your superior knowledge to me, I'm happy to be guided by you. $800 or the parts would mean $600 worth of labour for maybe 30 minutes. Most people would agree that's way too much.

I'll keep researching - thanks 👍
Those NUCs are fantastic little units, a little pricey for what you get but they last, but yeah the $1799 kit can be bought separately for around $1300, you may find better value elsewhere.

Those NUCs are fantastic little units, a little pricey for what you get but they last, but yeah the $1799 kit can be bought separately for around $1300, you may find better value elsewhere.
Whereabouts are you?

Melton for me...
Can you get into somewhere like Centrecom Sunshine?

Find the NUC/monitor/keyboard/mouse combo you want and get them to install the RAM/storage/windows - they'll charge but not much for the installation.

Can you get into somewhere like Centrecom Sunshine?

Find the NUC/monitor/keyboard/mouse combo you want and get them to install the RAM/storage/windows - they'll charge but not much for the installation.
Definitely an option... Thank you :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back