Buying a prebuilt computer - any way to not get ripped off?

freddy mercury

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2009
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Jacksonville
The only real consequence is a better pc coming out a week (or a month) later. I check the usual sites to see their pre-built pc line ups and I play around with the custom pc building tools to get an idea of prices. My current cheapest is about $1500, most expensive $4500...... various in between builds I've toyed with $2000-$3500.

I'm happy with the laptop I purchased in March (it's a beast!!), but wow I'm lucky I have willpower otherwise I'd have purchased the laptops I've seen since then :p haha.
What laptop did you buy?

What laptop did you buy?

02-FX506_L_678x452.jpg

ASUS TUF A15 (2021 model) AMD 5800. RTX 3070. Only 16gb ram and 512gb ssd.... but I upgraded to 32gb and added a second 1tb ssd a few weeks after getting the laptop. The 2020 version had cooling issues, the 2021 (my) model has extra vents underneath which improves the cooling concerns from last year. It's been used as a multi purpose device, the gaming part of it is an added bonus (I connect it to my 55" tv which is fun). Love the battery power (made it run for 16 hours off the battery a few times, but it commonly gets 12-14).

My aim last year was a new latop + a new desktop pc purchase. Chickened out when I couldn't quite decide on the pc I wanted (ideally want small form factor.... but it's neigh on impossible having a RTX 2080ti + bluray/4k drive (and hard drives) in the one small unit).

I decided in February that a desktop was on the back burner and I started researching laptops. Originally wanted a HP Envy 15 (my first choice). I saw the 2020 version of the Asus TUF A15..... almost purchased it (despite the cooling issues), a few days before I was going to go and buy it... I saw that the 2021 version was available. Did more research, saw it really was more improved to the 2020 version. Spent a few extra $$$ in order to buy it.

freddy mercury

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2009
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Jacksonville
02-FX506_L_678x452.jpg

ASUS TUF A15 (2021 model) AMD 5800. RTX 3070. Only 16gb ram and 512gb ssd.... but I upgraded to 32gb and added a second 1tb ssd a few weeks after getting the laptop. The 2020 version had cooling issues, the 2021 (my) model has extra vents underneath which improves the cooling concerns from last year. It's been used as a multi purpose device, the gaming part of it is an added bonus (I connect it to my 55" tv which is fun). Love the battery power (made it run for 16 hours off the battery a few times, but it commonly gets 12-14).

My aim last year was a new latop + a new desktop pc purchase. Chickened out when I couldn't quite decide on the pc I wanted (ideally want small form factor.... but it's neigh on impossible having a RTX 2080ti + bluray/4k drive (and hard drives) in the one small unit).

I decided in February that a desktop was on the back burner and I started researching laptops. Originally wanted a HP Envy 15 (my first choice). I saw the 2020 version of the Asus TUF A15..... almost purchased it (despite the cooling issues), a few days before I was going to go and buy it... I saw that the 2021 version was available. Did more research, saw it really was more improved to the 2020 version. Spent a few extra $$$ in order to buy it.
Nice man, only thing is, it is difficult to upgrade parts in a laptop, I'd imagine.

What games do you play on it?

Nice man, only thing is, it is difficult to upgrade parts in a laptop, I'd imagine.

What games do you play on it?

I watched a few youtube videos the "hardest" part is taking the back lid off without snapping it anddd placing the screws in order of where they were screwed in. But even that was straight forward for me, used a bank card to pry it open.

I haven't played many different games on it GTA V, Rocket League are the main games. I've run Hitman 3, Resident Evil 2 & 3...even AFL Evolution and the cricket games run pretty good.

I look silly now but I was set on using old hdds in my next new pc. Didn't care about the fast loading times (my 9 year old pc loads windows 10 in 45 seconds). My gaming laptop loads windows in 5 seconds!!!!! And most less intense games like rocket league, afl, cricket 19 etc load in the blink of an eye. So yes I'm now an ssd convert.

So happy I just pulled the trigger on a prebuilt instead of overthinking it for another day. Do not regret one bit.

Nov 9, 2007
The honorable loss factory
AFL Club
Carlton
Just for anyone reading this Scorptec are the best PC retailer in melbourne, i use them as a private customer, a small business customer and as a volume business customer.

the only pc and parts retailer who handles returns and warranty issues well and the only one i've dealt with who give good, friendly advice in pre sales (i also use/d MSY, CPL).

Jezzaubeautym8

Senior List
Jul 8, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
Scorptec have always been 10% overpriced on every part compared to the other shops around the corner. But people in the know are boycotting them (and other stores) due to their behavior price gouging gpu's. Scorptec apparently were the worst of them all.

They all rave about ple for not gouging like the others. But I've heard of unfulfilled orders and their prices don't seem to ogreat.

Just for anyone reading this Scorptec are the best PC retailer in melbourne, i use them as a private customer, a small business customer and as a volume business customer.

the only pc and parts retailer who handles returns and warranty issues well and the only one i've dealt with who give good, friendly advice in pre sales (i also use/d MSY, CPL).

Not my experience at the moment. Looking on their Facebook comments, not others' either.

FUS_RO_DAH

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2012
Kalgoorlie
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just built my first PC!

My budget was originally $1500, which eventually blew out past $2k once I started getting really into the build... Once you see the first bit of RGB kit on your rig, then you just need mooore.

If your looking for a rough idea of what you'd be able to build and how much, then https://www.logicalincrements.com/ is an awesome site to find something that suits your needs. Set your parts for Australia and start digging.

Just built my first PC!

My budget was originally $1500, which eventually blew out past $2k once I started getting really into the build... Once you see the first bit of RGB kit on your rig, then you just need mooore.

If your looking for a rough idea of what you'd be able to build and how much, then https://www.logicalincrements.com/ is an awesome site to find something that suits your needs. Set your parts for Australia and start digging.

I thought people tricking up their cars with lights making it into a light show was bizarre in the early 2000's.....

I feel the same way with pc's my next pc will still be the traditional boring style - no tempered glass on the side, quite happy to keep the insides of the pc hidden from view :p

But we're all different and like different things.

I thought people tricking up their cars with lights making it into a light show was bizarre in the early 2000's.....

I feel the same way with pc's my next pc will still be the traditional boring style - no tempered glass on the side, quite happy to keep the insides of the pc hidden from view :p

But we're all different and like different things.

The RGB s**t has never done it for me. I don't really get why people want their mouse to look like a UFO.

Apr 2, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think you can get a better deal now with the prebuild versus home built as components are stupid expensive. JB HIFI during black friday was doing a sale on ASUS ROG towers and out of curiosity I costed up the components to build that PC and pretty much stopped after CPU & GPU as the price already exceeded the prebuilt system.

aussiefooty

Carn the mighty roos!
I reneged on a bet or agreement :( Chess Club Member
Jun 7, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Socceroos Geelong
I've had my Apple iMac for about 5 years. I replace basic things such as the keyboard and mouse every year or two. Why? it's easy as keyboards and mice are easy to get.
Make sure that the computer you've bought isn't a faulty one. I've had that experience. Hence why i went with an Apple iMac

I don't have the time (aka patience) to build a PC. Despite majoring in Software Dev, I have no real idea what I'm talking about/looking for when I'm scoping out parts for what I need.

Obviously the best/most cost effective solution is to do my research, buy the individual parts, and assemble them myself. My preferred option is to be lazy and buy a prebuilt computer from a retailer.

I've read about the following places in Melbourne the sell PCs:
Scorptec: https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/ready-to-run-pcs/gaming-pc
MWave: https://www.mwave.com.au/desktop-computers/mwave-computers?sortid=2&display=list

There's probably others. For those a bit more clued in that me, or around the $1,200-$1,500 mark, am I going to get *ed over by services like the ones above?

i know this in an old post but best way to check if you are getting ripped off is use https://au.pcpartpicker.com/.

add in all the parts you want and if the store is more than $200 off what you are buying the parts for than you are getting ripped off.

Unless its a super complex build (which is rare) no one should be charging more than $100 - $200 to put the system together for you.

Not my experience at the moment. Looking on their Facebook comments, not others' either.

Check out Umart if you need to buy anything further - granted they don't have a store in Victoria but they are ultra competitive on prices.

Sep 4, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Newcastle Jets
I'm looking to get my son a gaming PC. Have a monitor already and have a budget of $2-2500.

I personally have no issue being "ripped" off $200. I look at it a bit differently with being more than ok paying people for their time, as my time is precious, so it theirs.

Generally speaking is there a rough amount of a premium you pay across the board? or are there times where the extra's are maybe a bit too much?

I'm looking to get my son a gaming PC. Have a monitor already and have a budget of $2-2500.

I personally have no issue being "ripped" off $200. I look at it a bit differently with being more than ok paying people for their time, as my time is precious, so it theirs.

Generally speaking is there a rough amount of a premium you pay across the board? or are there times where the extra's are maybe a bit too much?

Hard to say really. Prices of parts are fluctuating and I'm sure the prices of the pre-builts containing those parts aren't changing in unison.
As recommended above, do research on the parts and ensure the total isn't ridiculously different. Ideally, if you can't build it yourself, pick your parts and order it to be built rather than buying a box off the shelf. Haven't looked at the state of pre-builds in a long while, but in the past they'd often use cheaper RAM, HDD/SSDs and power supplies which you'll typically want to avoid.

Any reviews on how aftershockpc in melb is?
Over-priced and under specced.

In Melbourne if you want a builder I'd recommend Scorptec or Centrecom.

You have a budget, you have a monitor. What monitor specs? (resolution, refresh rate)
What type of games does your son like to play?

Sep 4, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Newcastle Jets
Monitor not sure on the specs. It was a purchase for my wife's WFH lockdown. Though this is doubling up as a communion/confirmation gift. Confirmation hasn't happened yet. So when he gets cash gifts for that he can get something better.

His game tastes is evolving as he gets older. Things like fortnite, gta he still plays. But no doubt there will be other games.

I want to have something decent enough that he doesn't bug me again and down the track he can sort himself with updates. I originally promised him over a year ago... but the some other stuff has come up and a pregnancy. Hes been ever so patient and not mentioned it once in 2022. So I want to get it before the baby and want something that will satisfy him until he's 18. Which is 7 years away haha.

Monitor not sure on the specs. It was a purchase for my wife's WFH lockdown. Though this is doubling up as a communion/confirmation gift. Confirmation hasn't happened yet. So when he gets cash gifts for that he can get something better.

His game tastes is evolving as he gets older. Things like fortnite, gta he still plays. But no doubt there will be other games.

I want to have something decent enough that he doesn't bug me again and down the track he can sort himself with updates. I originally promised him over a year ago... but the some other stuff has come up and a pregnancy. Hes been ever so patient and not mentioned it once in 2022. So I want to get it before the baby and want something that will satisfy him until he's 18. Which is 7 years away haha.
Fair enough.

Something like this fits in your budget is well-specced and will handle whatever your boy throws at it for a long time to come and can be easily upgraded.

Back