Bye bye Clarkson

Remove this Banner Ad

They play good first quarters. What is happening is on field. Has to be.. The pressure rating was over 200 in the first.

Pressure rating was over 200 for long periods of the 3rd, it’s just that Gold Coasts was even higher.

To win in today’s AFL, you need 2 things.

Strong enough to break tackles and make tackles. The umpires are pretty much letting blokes take 5 and a half days to get rid of it, so if you are strong enough, the ball comes out and the ball keeps moving. Need blokes who can do that, and are strong enough to lock it in. We would be the weakest team in living memory, which is a mix of having young players and recruiting blokes who would haven’t lifted a weight in 8 years.

Scoring off turnovers. We turn the ball over more than any team in the history of football. And it’s unforced in most cases. Blokes can’t hit basic skills. We will have a chain of handballs, and most of them are at blokes feet. The few times we score, it’s usually because our skilled players get their hands on it. We usually give our defenders no hope.

I don’t even think it’s effort. Effort usually drops off when you continually keep f**king it up. Saw Wardlaw jogging last night, saw Comben jogging and not go 100%. I also saw Daicos do it today, and Petracca do the same thing Friday night. Blokes rarely give effort all day, even in big wins. Imagine busting your arse 3 or 4 times, only to watch Bailey Scott miss a bloke by 58 metres, or Zurhaar picking and choosing when he will get out of first gear.

Is not being strong enough or skilled enough from Clarko? A little bit. Has it got to do with standards? Maybe. But Rosco sets Nazi like standards that some on our board love, and the saints are even more putrid than us and they have a list that should compete.

Our club is the biggest joke in sports, as sad as that is. Not real sure what sacking Clarko would achieve. What moron would take our job on? We have to put all our eggs in Clarko’s basket as what’s the alternative

The rebuild never started after 2016 because if it did we would have replacements for NDS, Firrito, Petrie and Boomer. So far, we've shown that none of them have been replaced. None.

That's your key pillars right there. The foundations required to have a better baseline so we don't have losses like last night every week (Even though we had those losses every now and then under Scott which conveniently have been forgotten).

I honestly reckon that this club doesn't have any players good enough from 24+ age bracket to say that they are the key player required for success except maybe LDU and Larkey. That's even a stretch at the moment for those two.

So this is the issue we have. Until we've got heaps of games under the belts of Wardlaw, Sheezel, Duursma, McKercher, Powell and heck even Phillips, there won't be much we can do about the current predicament.

Viney and Clarkson know full well the team is a shambles with some diamonds here and there but the plan is to refine the diamonds they have and surround them with decent pieces of silver. That's where we need to be.

Sacking the coach because 'its not working' or because 'it looks like the players have lost him' doesn't solve s**t.

If we can't accept the short term pain now then what happens when Tassie comes?

Just over half of the team that played last night have played more than two seasons worth of footy. 13 players.

Two full seasons worth of games isn't "lots of seasons" either.

2 seasons is 45 games. That is a big sample size. A lot of our “young guys” have been around a while in Powell , Scott , Curtis , Stevo etc

There is no doubt going to be incremental improvement amongst the group I refer, I said that. Sheezel sits on the fringe of this group and is the best example of what I mean. He is already elite.

Wardlaw, Colby, Comben sit outside this group and are the best examples of still a fair bit of growth probable. Throw in Goater and Duursma to that conversation. Maybe Ford.

But we are currently in a position of not being able to win a quarter. How much more growth is there in these current players and where do we end up?

So are you saying we haven't been trying all avenues to bring in good or better talent in.
What are you talking about? We have done our best to get talent out of the squad e.g Goldie and BMac who are both now very good players in a top 4 side. BMac we got compensation for so that may help us in 5 years time but Clarko had it in for Goldie from day 1 and that has been a poor decision by Clarko and he must own that. Our centre bounce set up has been a complete mess.

We bought in Fisher (who has been ok) and Stephens who has been poor. Both though aren't needle movers.

Our MSD history has been poor - maybe 10 games in total from the lot of them and we have had a top 2 pick each year.

Ultimately though no high end player has even looked like coming to us - and why would he when we are such a mess (I rate Logue but he is not high end - could not get a game in the Freo defence hence moved to us.)

What are you talking about? We have done our best to get talent out of the squad e.g Goldie and BMac who are both now very good players in a top 4 side. BMac we got compensation for so that may help us in 5 years time but Clarko had it in for Goldie from day 1 and that has been a poor decision by Clarko and he must own that. Our centre bounce set up has been a complete mess.

We bought in Fisher (who has been ok) and Stephens who has been poor. Both though aren't needle movers.

Our MSD history has been poor - maybe 10 games in total from the lot of them and we have had a top 2 pick each year.

Ultimately though no high end player has even looked like coming to us - and why would he when we are such a mess (I rate Logue but he is not high end - could not get a game in the Freo defence hence moved to us.)
So i presume you where in Favour of keeping them both No negative posts about either player in the past. How do you know for a fact Clarko had it in for Goldie or is it just your opinion.

At the start of the year like a lot of pundits on this page. We just wanted the team to be competitive (in the 15-18 ladder range teams) and with luck and injuries perhaps jag 3-4 wins. Getting another 15-23 games each for the 1-3 year players would be nice for their development in the 1’s and 2’s.

The one stat I wanted to see was the average losing margin to come down. This stat to me reflects the level of competitiveness and pride in the jumper, club and its supporters. So I have pulled out the Excel and come up with these observations.

• 2023 and 2024 losses have an Av 40.5 points
  • When Clarko had his spell after round 9 and handed over to Ratts it was 50 points
  • Ratts despite not winning in his 10 game spell had an average of 39.9 points. This then reduced out average down to 37.1
  • When Clarko returned for the 3 more losses (Av 23.3) to further pull down the Av. to 35.1
So I start getting excited for 2024, that this is going to trend in the right direction.

• 9 losses at 52.6 Av
  • Clarko 19 loss Av losing margin is 47 points a match.
  • I really hope that Jenn and Sonya are reading this and ask Clarko and Todd why is the team performing like this, and what are your plans to get us out of this mess?
The current storyline being rolled out is that we are told to stay to stay the course and be patient. From what I can see the canoe is currently approaching the Zambezi river Falls and our rudder and motor have broken.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What can he say ?
At least give us loyal passionate long suffering members “How he expects more from the team in effort & fight for starters” & that the dropping of the head & disgraceful body language is no longer acceptable !

At the start of the year like a lot of pundits on this page. We just wanted the team to be competitive (in the 15-18 ladder range teams) and with luck and injuries perhaps jag 3-4 wins. Getting another 15-23 games each for the 1-3 year players would be nice for their development in the 1’s and 2’s.

The one stat I wanted to see was the average losing margin to come down. This stat to me reflects the level of competitiveness and pride in the jumper, club and its supporters. So I have pulled out the Excel and come up with these observations.

• When Clarko had his spell after round 9 and handed over to Ratts it was 50 points
  • Ratts despite not winning in his 10 game spell had an average of 39.9 points. This then reduced out average down to 37.1
  • When Clarko returned for the 3 more losses (Av 23.3) to further pull down the Av. to 35.1
So I start getting excited for 2024, that this is going to trend in the right direction.

• 9 losses at 52.6 Av
  • I really hope that Jenn and Sonya are reading this and ask Clarko and Todd why is the team performing like this, and what are your plans to get us out of this mess?
The current storyline being rolled out is that we are told to stay to stay the course and be patient. From what I can see the canoe is currently approaching the Zambezi river Falls and our rudder and motor have broken.
Good work BB - the bolded part is damning. 19 losses at 8 goals a piece - that is just wow.

If you lose 1 game by 8 goals you move on - 2 games and eyebrows get raised - 3 games and serious concerns start. Clarko has had 19 - it's just become so embarrassing and numbing no one wants to talk about it.

The lack of any comms from the CEO and Board just feels like ...'if we ignore it it might go away'...

The line that ...we are young .. we need to wait another 50 games ...screams as if you are pissing down my back and telling me its raining....

A few happy clappers on this board are still prepared to drink the Kool aid - but it wont continue on - as each week goes past and another embarrassing record get's broken by the club then even they will turn.

What's the bet there will be less North supporters this week at the * game than were GWS supporters at the * game on the weekend - 8 goal losses every week and less support than GWS in Melbourne - that's where we are at right now as a club at not a word from the Board or CEO.

• 9 losses at 52.6 Av
100 percent.
11 players last night layed 10 tackles between them??
Z Fisher 0 tackles
LDU 1 tackle
W Phillips 1 tackle
N Larkey 1 tackle
B Drury 1 tackle
B Scott 1 tackle
P Curtis 1 tackle
C McKercher 1 tackle
L McDonald 1 tackle
A Corr 1 tackle

I think our problem at the moment lays with our pressure rating.
Sure we can’t execute Clarko’s game plan…. But surely we can exert pressure on the opposition??
However our Pressure rating is terribly bad.
A HIGH pressure rating is a non-negotiable in todays football . Would love to know why our pressure is so poor, when it’s effort based rather than talent based? Can Clarko motivate/stimulate our group or not? He needs to get our pressure rating up to a competitive standard quickly

Last edited:

• 9 losses at 52.6 Av
The one I've been looking at is contested possession and tackles. You should be winning one of those at minimum per game. It's not that frequent a team loses both categories in the same game.

This year we're yet to win contested possession and have lost the tackles 5/9 times.

Pressure rating was over 200 for long periods of the 3rd, it’s just that Gold Coasts was even higher.

To win in today’s AFL, you need 2 things.

Strong enough to break tackles and make tackles. The umpires are pretty much letting blokes take 5 and a half days to get rid of it, so if you are strong enough, the ball comes out and the ball keeps moving. Need blokes who can do that, and are strong enough to lock it in. We would be the weakest team in living memory, which is a mix of having young players and recruiting blokes who would haven’t lifted a weight in 8 years.

Scoring off turnovers. We turn the ball over more than any team in the history of football. And it’s unforced in most cases. Blokes can’t hit basic skills. We will have a chain of handballs, and most of them are at blokes feet. The few times we score, it’s usually because our skilled players get their hands on it. We usually give our defenders no hope.

I don’t even think it’s effort. Effort usually drops off when you continually keep f**king it up. Saw Wardlaw jogging last night, saw Comben jogging and not go 100%. I also saw Daicos do it today, and Petracca do the same thing Friday night. Blokes rarely give effort all day, even in big wins. Imagine busting your arse 3 or 4 times, only to watch Bailey Scott miss a bloke by 58 metres, or Zurhaar picking and choosing when he will get out of first gear.

Is not being strong enough or skilled enough from Clarko? A little bit. Has it got to do with standards? Maybe. But Rosco sets Nazi like standards that some on our board love, and the saints are even more putrid than us and they have a list that should compete.

Our club is the biggest joke in sports, as sad as that is. Not real sure what sacking Clarko would achieve. What moron would take our job on? We have to put all our eggs in Clarko’s basket as what’s the alternative
I agree with 90% of that.

• 9 losses at 52.6 Av

Best post I have read in ages.

Says it all.

The course we are being told to stay on is one that shows a decline in performance.

There is no way in any sort of planning or predicting 2024 should be worse than 2023.

I’d like to know what Clarko’s and Todd’s explanation for this is.

The fear i have about being patient and it will turn etc.
Is that improvement isn't linear and some players might end up completely regressing.
We really need to find a way to be more competitive NOW and instill a better culture.

Draw the line, no more 10 goal losses, stop conceding 100+ every bloody week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back