Cameron Green

Remove this Banner Ad

Would be a good straw poll to see how Shane Watson was / is regarded now for his international career. At the time most bemoaned his 30's - 60's and his 1 - 3 wickets every few tests but in hindsight, we should appreciate how tough a gig it is being an international all rounder.

watto was solid and worthy of selection

but not a gun

nowhere near those other fellas

Nice to see Cam score a few and then follow it up with a really spell last night.
What we really want to see on day four is Green get some confidence with the bat. Given the match situation it's not going to be the stuff of ashes legends, but if he can knock around a half century that is something to take into Melbourne and hopefully build from there.
Not quit the half century I was hoping to would see, but nevertheless a neat little not out to take to Melbourne.

That first ball never happened right ;)

Patience....... grasshoppers.......patience.

Very early days into his International Career and he is progressing slowly, but surely.

Not too many more impressive 22 year olds playing in Australian Cricket.

At this stage, he looks like being a permanent fixture in The National Team, for the next decade.

Exciting times ahead for the lad and Australian Cricket Fans.

They won't though unless he scores some runs or they keep winning. Can't keep him in without at least a 50 every couple of matches.
I'd concentrate on getting a 50 every other innings out of the other opening spot before you drop Green. He brings enough with his bowling and in the field that we can afford to give him some leeway with the batting.

Must play the rest of the series, and then use the break to work on fixing his technique. Punter was spot on I reckon about his stance being too open, but it should be a relatively easy fix I would've thought.

Given he's spent a huge chunk of the offseason focusing on his (largely remodelled) bowling action, it doesn't really surprise me his batting has slipped slightly.

I think the 30 in the second innings will give him a bit of confidence to build off - he's too good for the runs not to come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting green is still on considerable bowling restrictions

I appreciate they aren’t going to grind him into thedust - but smiths comments that he was instructed not to bow him day 5 was telling
I understand the theory behind bowling restrictions, but what do you do when he's playing a match and we need him to bowl?

For example, Starc looked like his back was in trouble last test. If he can't bowl in the fourth innings at Adelaide, or after a few overs he's clearly ****ed.... are we sticking rigidly to Green not bowling? (Smith ended up ignoring that and gave him 9 overs - which isn't a huge workload). If so, that's a huge amount of overs for 3 bowlers plus part timers.

Or what about a situation where you pick a front line bowler but he's never bowled more than 30 overs in a test due to restrictions, and now we are starting day 5 of a test. He's bowled 23 overs already. What now? Effectively play with 3 bowlers? Seems like a good way for others to break down...

I'm not going to say I know more about bio-mechanics than the sports scientists Cricket Australia has employed... But for all their theories, and all the bowler management we've done in the last decade... Fast bowling has always had injuries (obviously we all remember Lillee, who came back, and Bruce Reid, who's career was derailed) but we've never had so many injuries to fast bowlers as we have in the last decade.

I am/was not professional but got to a reasonably high standard and always found I felt best when I was getting overs under my belt. As far as I remember all my club mates, some who did get to pro and semi-pro levels, said the same thing. Or maybe we all had un-diagnosed injuries and just pushed through... I dunno.... I throw my hands up a bit.

I understand the theory behind bowling restrictions, but what do you do when he's playing a match and we need him to bowl?

For example, Starc looked like his back was in trouble last test. If he can't bowl in the fourth innings at Adelaide, or after a few overs he's clearly f’ed.... are we sticking rigidly to Green not bowling? (Smith ended up ignoring that and gave him 9 overs - which isn't a huge workload). If so, that's a huge amount of overs for 3 bowlers plus part timers.

Or what about a situation where you pick a front line bowler but he's never bowled more than 30 overs in a test due to restrictions, and now we are starting day 5 of a test. He's bowled 23 overs already. What now? Effectively play with 3 bowlers? Seems like a good way for others to break down...

I'm not going to say I know more about bio-mechanics than the sports scientists Cricket Australia has employed... But for all their theories, and all the bowler management we've done in the last decade... Fast bowling has always had injuries (obviously we all remember Lillee, who came back, and Bruce Reid, who's career was derailed) but we've never had so many injuries to fast bowlers as we have in the last decade.

I am/was not professional but got to a reasonably high standard and always found I felt best when I was getting overs under my belt. As far as I remember all my club mates, some who did get to pro and semi-pro levels, said the same thing. Or maybe we all had un-diagnosed injuries and just pushed through... I dunno.... I throw my hands up a bit.

I don't believe its a specific set of conditions.....with only specific amount of overs being the rule but more watching out for him

There will still 20 overs left....green IMO would of bowled a bit more he was warming up again but jhye got the breakthrough at the end :)

Short spells of 3/4overs four times a day is more than enough in a 80/90 over day

He's going to be the next Kallis.
Big call.

But I'm very bullish on Green. And I've just got home from about 8 pints at the pub (I'm not an alcoholic*, I live in the UK so it's acceptable to have drunk 8ish pints at this time of day) so I'm feeling extra-bullish. But I reckon you aren't too far off the mark.

Bit career ahead.

*I Might be an alcoholic.

Big call.

But I'm very bullish on Green. And I've just got home from about 8 pints at the pub (I'm not an alcoholic*, I live in the UK so it's acceptable to have drunk 8ish pints at this time of day) so I'm feeling extra-bullish. But I reckon you aren't too far off the mark.

Bit career ahead.

*I Might be an alcoholic.
Only 8 pints? Did you have to drive your husband home? 😉😂

I get that, but his batting has so much potential for greatness that to get that greatness to reality will need to focus like Steve Smith and Loose Bus Change put on their batting. I'd rather he average over 50 with bat than 30 which is the fear is he splits his time in training 50-50. In fact, I reckon that is what would happen. He would average 30 with bat and never become close to how good he could become with bat.

Average 27 with ball in tests apparently ..

What is the cut-off here for people to be happy.

I think he'll average at least >35 with the bat and <30 with the ball. That's a pretty special cricketer, Stokes for example averages 36 with the bat and 32 with the ball and he's a generational all-rounder.

I think we've seen on here already that Aussie's dont know what's reasonable with allrounders and have completely unrealistic expectations.

We are also still spoiled from that once in a lifetime decade where you could throw a dart at domestic cricket and find a bat who is going to average 45+ in tests. In this generation, if your 6th best batsmen averages 35+, it's actually pretty good.

I think people do need to keep expectations somewhat in check. After 7 Tests he's scored 1 fifty and has contributed well with the ball against one of the worst batting line-ups to ever tour these shores.

I think we all desperately want him to do well, the FC record is there and I think he's shown he's over-achieving with the ball when it comes to what we'd want out of a fifth bowler.

The issue is with the quality of our quicks he's unlikely to achieve his potential with the ball because he just won't have to bowl that much, it's mostly going to come down to what he can do with the bat, under current circumstances I'd be touch and go about him touring the SC when he hasn't yet made many runs in easier conditions.

He's going to get a lot of chances, but I'm not a massive fan of locking him in at number 6 because he's a great bowling option.

I think people do need to keep expectations somewhat in check. After 7 Tests he's scored 1 fifty and has contributed well with the ball against one of the worst batting line-ups to ever tour these shores.

I think we all desperately want him to do well, the FC record is there and I think he's shown he's over-achieving with the ball when it comes to what we'd want out of a fifth bowler.

The issue is with the quality of our quicks he's unlikely to achieve his potential with the ball because he just won't have to bowl that much, it's mostly going to come down to what he can do with the bat, under current circumstances I'd be touch and go about him touring the SC when he hasn't yet made many runs in easier conditions.

He's going to get a lot of chances, but I'm not a massive fan of locking him in at number 6 because he's a great bowling option.
Who would you play ahead of him in the position (for Sri Lanka anyway)? Tim Ward has had a great start to the season but needs another shield season of performances before he's a reasonable claim to be banging down the door. Phillipe looks like starting to put together but he's in the same bucket as Ward given his FC average is 33. I'm dead against playing Ussie at his age, it just throwing development down the drain.

There's really no other options for players that look like they would be close to test level at number 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Back