Opinion Cameron, Patton, Boyd or Tomlinson -we must get one

Remove this Banner Ad

The time has come that we have to get a deal for one of these guns done.

In your opinion what will it take? Cameron is out of contract so if he choose us we could bend gws over slightly but is a lot harder with Patton as he is in contract.

Last edited:

To avoid just rehashing the same old stuff that has been in the list management thread about fantasy trades, can the thread be about whether or not people think we need one of these key forward, and if so, which type?

This "opinion" has been around since Chris Grant retired.

First we bought them from other clubs (Macdougall, Rawlings) that didn't work out we got a "Premier" KPF in Barry Hall and he was great for 2 years but he wasn't with the club long enough. We tried drafting them (Walsh, Wight, Wiliams, Panos) which unfortunately did not work out. Then the cry went out to "develop" our own instead of buying from other clubs, so we've tried with Jones and Redpath. Jones has been inconsistent and Redpath has only played 3 games (and already there are calls for him to be dropped by passionate Bulldog supporters).

Now it's back to buying another Key Position Player, although we'd rather get a KPF than a KPD, when we actually need both...BADLY.

I don't have a solution except be patient with what we have.

Otherwise the dogs will just continue going around in circles.

Don't really think this is the right way to go about it, a trade for either of these two would have to involve our first pick plus a good player and I don't want to trade any player from our list, plus I would like to add another midfield/KPD option that we could grab with that pick.
I feel as though our forward line is 80% there, Stringer, Crameri, Bontempelli, Hunter, Dahlhaus all have confirmed their starting spots and our reliance on Jones, Grant and Gia has subsided to kick a winning score. These are what I think better alternatives to get a good key forward without losing to many key forwards. No guarentees just options to consider.

Option 1: We lose Higgins to the blues in FA and in return we get an end of first round compensation pick (Band 2 - probably round about pick 22 or something like that), we then offer than pick and our 2nd round pick which would be roundabouts pick 28 and package them both up for Sam Reid
Option 2: Direct swap our first rounder for Carlisle, we know he loves the dogs lets get the job done, pick 5 would be a very tasty carrot to dangle in front of the bombers
Option 3: The most risky option but we directly swap our second rounder to PA for Butcher, hasn't proven anything at AFL level for 3 years, no doubt if we lost higgins and got that early twenties pick then thats what PA would want, but we should to hold out.
Option 4: we come out absolutely guns blazing and get both option 1 and option 2 done. We wouldn't have a pick in the top 40 if this were to occur but our forward line KPF issue would evaporate overnight. Jones or Redpath might have to be moved on due to increased depth and we use that trade for more KPD depth, maybe have a look at Watson from Carlton and swap him for Jones, or a similiar type of consideration.
Option 5: If we didn't want to package a player in it then we would need all of our first 3 picks (5, 22, 28) to get Patton, very unlikely GWS take the bait and this certainly isn't what I want to occur.

Option 2 then 1 then 4 athough I would still be extemely happy with option 4.
The most likely trade to eventuate option 1 or 3.

Need to consider who may give us a chop out in the ruck, or do we rely upon Roughead as 2nd ruck/KPD and drop morris for both Austin and Talia to provide us with 3 true KPD's

This "opinion" has been around since Chris Grant retired.

First we bought them from other clubs (Macdougall, Rawlings) that didn't work out we got a "Premier" KPF in Barry Hall and he was great for 2 years but he wasn't with the club long enough. We tried drafting them (Walsh, Wight, Wiliams, Panos) which unfortunately did not work out. Then the cry went out to "develop" our own instead of buying from other clubs, so we've tried with Jones and Redpath. Jones has been inconsistent and Redpath has only played 3 games (and already there are calls for him to be dropped by passionate Bulldog supporters).

Now it's back to buying another Key Position Player, although we'd rather get a KPF than a KPD, when we actually need both...BADLY.

I don't have a solution except be patient with what we have.

Otherwise the dogs will just continue going around in circles.
Coz it's a song that never endssssss, it just goes on and on my friendssssss...........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any of those 3 is going to cost us a mint. If i was to pick any i would be going after Boyd, while he might not be as gifted as Cameron he will cost less and is a structural monster who will be taking the #1 defender in a few years and probably still dominating and kicking bags, he will also allow Jones to roam at CHF on the second best defender. I also rate Boyd as the second young best KPF coming through (ahead of Hogan, Daniher, Patton, McCartin etc).

Why Boyd over Cameron? Cameron would cost us something ridiculous, I know not many want to admit it but he would cost something like pick #6 + a future superstar one of Bonti, Macrae or Libba the guy is being spoken of as the next Wayne Carey. While Boyd will cost us a little less maybe pick #6 + a good young prospect like Hrovrat might get it done, especially if he wanted to come back to Melbourne like being reported.

I'm all for getting a KPF but the question is what would add more to our side #6 and Hrovrat (just an example of a player being traded) or Boyd?
Our forward line is currently roughly (if we play 2 KPF):

Dahlhaus - Jones - Crameri
Hunter - Redpath - Stringer

With Grant maybe taking Stringers spot if he turns into a mid (which i hope he does) and guys like Bonti resting in the forward line creating a mismatch.

Pick #6 could get us a potential gun KPD to play CHB for the next 10 years in the draft in Marchbank and we get to hang onto Hrovrat so i can see why some supporters wouldn't want to make the trade. IMHO Boyd will go on to be a champion and i still have faith in Talia to be able to hold down a KPD spot so i would do the trade in a heartbeat, our forward line would be complete for the next 10 years, and as much as i love Hrovrat we would be able to cover his loss (we have Dahl and Hunter as our gun small forwards and Bonti, Libba, Macrae and maybe even Stringer as our potential superstar mids with guys like Smith, Wallis and Honey as solid B graders and others rotating through the midfield).

Now I think GWS will want to hang onto Cameron and Boyd and will let Patton go (if they let one of the three go), if it cost the same to get Patton the decision is slightly harder.

I don't think Tomlinson is the answer -solid player, but not what we should sell the farm for.

Probably stating the obvious, but GWS were very clever taking Boyd and Patton with pick #1. Increases their value, Patton could have gone #2 or #3 (i.e. Day at GCS) and we would be looking at an offer of #5 this year as fair and reasonable. Instead both went pick #1 so have a higher price tag attached.

If we are going to trade for a key forward, we can't afford any more McDougall or Rawlings mishaps. Either way, regardless of who we go after it is going to cost us our first and second rounders and probably a player. Depending on who we go after (Tomlinson), we might get back some change in the form of a third round pick etc.

Or maybe, it's not the personnel but more our forward set up/ball movement that is making us look second rate in the key talls department and we don't actually need to poach an opposition prospect. Is it merely coincidence that everyone we try at FF/CHF struggles to stay involved in games on a consistent basis?

I don't think we have seen what Tomlinson is fully capable of yet, because of Cameron, Patton and now Boyd he has had to play up the ground, you put a player with his marking ability and athleticism in the fwd50 and good things will happen, and he has shown that abillity as a lead up player which is valuable to the structure of a side.

I think if we got Tomlinson and gave him the Chance to be "The Guy" I can see him developing into a hopefully less of a Diving Flog Nick Riewoldt he has the Tank and Football Smarts

But obviously if I had a Preference I would get Patton

Cameron is the best of the lot when they all play their best game but Patton is more consistent lately and can help out down back. Cameron needs to remember how to lead

No chance GWS will accept a deal of pick 5 + Extras for Boyd, Cameron or Patton while they're still in contract.

I think our best chance of a deal is when we're pushing for finals and Tomlinson is coming out of contract.

Opinion Cameron, Patton, Boyd or Tomlinson -we must get one

Remove this Banner Ad

Back