Autopsy Dogs get the job done for Bonty's 200th

Remove this Banner Ad

Weightman is a gun and I'm sure the coaches are talking to him but he just can't stop himself from jumping at the high ball. If a high ball comes in and the big dogs are there, just stay down and read the spillage.
I reckon he goes for one of those low altitude horizontal speccies at least twice a game, and I’ve probably seen him actually mark it once or twice ever. It’s strange that he continues doing it

My biggest positive this year is that bevo and the mc seem to be picking the best team to give us a chance to win each week rather than always picking his favourites. Been my biggest gripe for years. I've been pleasantly surprised most weeks at selection this year.
Hannan playing round 1 alongside the 4 tall forwards was probably the only true howler of a selection call this year.

I’m just really happy to see McNeil and Jones playing right now. Haven’t had two quick pressure forwards in this side for a long time

Aisle 17, front row is where we are. Close to the Victory room at half time, and also the banner run through is right in front of us. The reason we moved from the other side as well. Most of the seats are reserved around us, so don’t get too many of the opposition.

This was every game near me last year. It was terrible. Swapped seats on L1 this year and it's been much better. But no doubt they sell those unreserved seats. So if you sit on the edge between reserved and unreserved, you have to suffer.
Was very easy to get tickets in the Dogs reserved seat section. You would hope they are selling out entire bays and not leaving gaps everywhere

We were flat but will always take a 29 point win, that’s all we have to do at this stage, win ugly. That’s the best team hawks have put out this season, they won’t win many but they have a crack and will scare a few good sides

AJ is a jet, those are hugeeeee pressure numbers for a player that doesn’t play in the guts, he will never get dropped when he’s doing that. He’s building nicely I just love him, his goal was a nice moment the crowd was so excited when he went near it
I’m still so confused how clean AJ is picking the ball up off the deck when I think we both noticed it was such an obvious weakness at VFL level despite the slower pace / lower pressure.

Are AFL grounds that much better or has he just improved that aspect of his game out of sight?

Weightman is a gun and I'm sure the coaches are talking to him but he just can't stop himself from jumping at the high ball. If a high ball comes in and the big dogs are there, just stay down and read the spillage.
Unfortunately it’s not as simple as that. It’s Cody’s instinct to fly for marks and he’s likely been doing it since he was a young kid.

If you ask him to change his instincts, he begins to second guess how he plays and sometimes the result is worse. When the ball is in the air, he then starts to look around at what’s happening and hesitate rather than just playing the game.

I sit ground level Aisle 34 (between wing and half forward). Its a great spot, gets the bulldog chant up and going every week, same people have had the seats for years. Pre- covid, never any opposition supporters in the area, great loved it. Since covid, we have people sneaking in every week. Generally the type who do this are young mouthy smart a*rses. We had an incident with the Saints a few weeks back (group of 6 saints fans being abusive), told the people checking eventually police came down but too late, they gone by then.

Yet considering we pay for the privilege to seat with our own members it shouldn't be happening. I think because most have tickets on phones now, its harder for the staff to check tickets, compared to flashing a card. They really need to start checking tickets again and have security ready if a situation arises.

I’m still so confused how clean AJ is picking the ball up off the deck when I think we both noticed it was such an obvious weakness at VFL level despite the slower pace / lower pressure.

Are AFL grounds that much better or has he just improved that aspect of his game out of sight?
Yeah it’s a weird one how dramatically it’s turned around, I honestly thought it was just going to be something that was always there in his game and frustrated us.

I’d guess it’s a bit of both, the deck probably makes a bigger difference than we think - it’s a real slog most weeks at VFL level throughout winter, but just the way he plays (ie hits every single ground ball at pace with confidence) it’s been more noticeable with him than others who are a bit more ‘safe’ in the way that they approach ground balls maybe?

I sit ground level Aisle 34 (between wing and half forward). Its a great spot, gets the bulldog chant up and going every week, same people have had the seats for years. Pre- covid, never any opposition supporters in the area, great loved it. Since covid, we have people sneaking in every week. Generally the type who do this are young mouthy smart a*rses. We had an incident with the Saints a few weeks back (group of 6 saints fans being abusive), told the people checking eventually police came down but too late, they gone by then.

Yet considering we pay for the privilege to seat with our own members it shouldn't be happening. I think because most have tickets on phones now, its harder for the staff to check tickets, compared to flashing a card. They really need to start checking tickets again and have security ready if a situation arises.
They stop checking after the game starts. I know that for a fact as I have snuck into spare seats to sit with mates on the other side of the stadium, then again I only do that when it is our home game.

When it’s an away game I just make sure to book my seat right amongst the opposition. No way to kick me out if I do that!

Feel like Cody just needs to be told to play a traditional small forward role, tackle and put pressure on rather than try be a mini Naughton. He can do it.
Has he ever played that role though?

As far as I can tell he's always played the small tall role.

Personally I wouldn't be looking to reduce that aspect out of his game. Its what he is.

He's just struggling with form after a long layoff.

Personally I wouldn't be looking to reduce that aspect out of his game. Its what he is.

Hardwick beat Weightmen easily last year as well, kept him to just one touch in one of the games. Hawks have a very good match up for him which happens sometimes.

I think the idea over pre season was for him to play some midfield minutes to get him into the game a bit more, unfortunately he got injured. Once he builds a bit more fitness, I'm sure we'll see it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When I think of him in 2021 I think more about the pressure stuff than the high flying highlights. Yeah he sat on Gawn's head at the G but the first thing I think of is his amazing pressure against the Eagles in Perth in the first quarter, I think of the smothers in Launceston v. the Druggies in the elimination final and hate it or not I think of the game changing free kicks he wins because he is at the bottom of the pack first.

Being honest about Cody, not only does he take himself out of his position by flying for marks, he takes himself out by diving in search of a free kick. And the umps have stopped paying them.

Still very valuable to our forward line just by being in the team (and through his manic pressure) but it’s a little concerning that he hasn’t changed offensively at all really in his time here. And we have naughts/Marra/Darcy for a long time (hopefully), he can’t be competing against them in the air for the next 10 years. The ground ball small fwd stuff has to happen or we just stick him in the midfield more when we have 3 talls in the forward line.

Coaches votes:
5 Will Day (HAW)
5 Caleb Daniel (WB)
4 Bailey Williams (WB)
4 Jai Newcombe (HAW)
3 Ed Richards (WB)
3 Aaron Naughton (WB)
3 Blake Hardwick (HAW)
3 Ned Reeves (HAW)

Unless I'm reading this wrong, looks almost like Mitchell might have given them almost all to Hawks players? (Or Bevo gave plenty out himself). Eg:

Coach 1:
5 Day
4 Newcombe
3 Richards
2 Hardwick
1 Reeves

Coach 2:
5 Daniel
4 Williams
3 Naughton
2 Reeves
1 Hardwick

Coaches votes:
5 Will Day (HAW)
5 Caleb Daniel (WB)
4 Bailey Williams (WB)
4 Jai Newcombe (HAW)
3 Ed Richards (WB)
3 Aaron Naughton (WB)
3 Blake Hardwick (HAW)
3 Ned Reeves (HAW)

Unless I'm reading this wrong, looks almost like Mitchell might have given them almost all to Hawks players? (Or Bevo gave plenty out himself). Eg:

Coach 1:
5 Day
4 Newcombe
3 Richards
2 Hardwick
1 Reeves

Coach 2:
5 Daniel
4 Williams
3 Naughton
2 Reeves
1 Hardwick
Could have been the coaches had their player at 4 and the opposition player at 5

Coaches votes:
5 Will Day (HAW)
5 Caleb Daniel (WB)
4 Bailey Williams (WB)
4 Jai Newcombe (HAW)
3 Ed Richards (WB)
3 Aaron Naughton (WB)
3 Blake Hardwick (HAW)
3 Ned Reeves (HAW)

Coach 1:
5 Day
4 Newcombe
3 Richards
2 Hardwick
1 Reeves

Coach 2:
5 Daniel
4 Williams
3 Naughton
2 Reeves
1 Hardwick

Most wack votes I’ve seen, how can the best, 2nd & 3rd players be in one top 5 and none in the other?

In contrast last night Melbourne and Carlton went above and beyond. They were ruthless.
To be fair Hawthorn are a much better team than North and West Coast, especially with Mitch Lewis back.

As for members with season reserve seats being surrounded by opposition fans, it is the way Ticketmaster allocates reserved seats is the problem.
We have 3 broad membership categories - season reserved seats, flexi reserved seats, and general admission (no reserved seat).

Flexi reserved seat members cannot choose individual seats when booking tickets - they choose a price range and/or area and are then allocated the next best available seats according to Ticketmaster. There are almost always better seats available in the Bulldogs' bays that it just ignores and won't allocate.

Non-members (including visiting team supporters) CAN select individual seats anywhere in the stadium. Those same seats in the Bulldogs' bays mentioned above are available to select by opposition supporters - and members only if they pay FULL price and not the member's price ($10).

To be fair Hawthorn are a much better team than North and West Coast, especially with Mitch Lewis back.

As for members with season reserve seats being surrounded by opposition fans, it is the way Ticketmaster allocates reserved seats is the problem.
We have 3 broad membership categories - season reserved seats, flexi reserved seats, and general admission (no reserved seat).

Flexi reserved seat members cannot choose individual seats when booking tickets - they choose a price range and/or area and are then allocated the next best available seats according to Ticketmaster. There are almost always better seats available in the Bulldogs' bays that it just ignores and won't allocate.

Non-members (including visiting team supporters) CAN select individual seats anywhere in the stadium. Those same seats in the Bulldogs' bays mentioned above are available to select by opposition supporters - and members only if they pay FULL price and not the member's price ($10).
That explains it and it is absolute ******* s**t shagging campaigner of a set up.

I'm far from a Lobb fan but he is a definite upgrade to Cordy and Bruce who were forced to slot in to that role. Lobb playing forward also gives Bont more time in the midfield. He is the greatest player but realistically we didn't give up too much for him. He's starting to play a role that is needed in our team and to a decent level.

Lobbs basically performing as expected. Will kick his 1-2 a game and that will be it. Was happy he was kicking straight in this match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back