Past Cameron Wood (2005-2007)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Cameron Wood

Article

Wood impresses for Lions
Sportal

The Brisbane Lions have begun their post-Michael Voss era and launched their 2007 campaign with a spirited intra-club practice match at Coorparoo on Friday night albeit missing a number of key players including star forward Jonathan Brown.

In front of an estimated 1000 enthusiastic supporters, coach Leigh Matthews scrambled 30 players together for the 70-minute hitout - maroons against golds - which doubled as a warm-up for next week's opening NAB Cup encounter against St Kilda in Cairns.

The Lions will not risk Brown's body (hip and knee) with the powerhouse being saved for the second and fourth weeks of the pre-season campaign while veteran duo Nigel Lappin and Chris Scott wrestle a baffling elbow complaint and a nagging hip injury respectively.

Spearhead Daniel Bradshaw was a surprise non-starter suffering another back problem and may be in doubt for next week. Others to miss the match included Jared Brennan, Josh Drummond and promising draftee Albert Proud, all recovering from shoulder complaints while 2005 top draft pick Mitch Clark and promising defender Jason Roe are overcoming knee soreness.

Troy Selwood, who recently had back surgery, also sat on the sidelines along with the four players who underwent knee reconstructions in 2006 - Richard Hadley, Joel MacDonald, Pat Garner and rookie-listed Anthony Corrie.

The focus was very much on the younger brigade and the issue of who would fill the key defensive posts following the retirement of Justin Leppitsch and the defection of full-back Mal Michael to Essendon over the summer.

Former forward Daniel Merrett was pitched into the full-back role for the golds on last year's top draft pick Matthew Leuenberger. While the West Australian boom recruit remained goaless, Matthews also gave the youngster a run in the ruck and he demonstrated enough ability and mobility to show the coaching staff they had chosen wisely.

However, the star of the night was the club's top draft choice from 2004 in Cameron Wood. The former South Australian showed the benefit of a more intense summer in the gym as his bulkier 204cm frame more than matched it with the experienced Jamie Charman at the centre bounces and around the ground.

The surprise decision to pick Sam Sheldon in last year's draft, spoiling Carlton's prospects of selecting the 17-year-old under the father-son rule later this year, also appears to have paid dividends with youngster proving an opportunist on the forward line and kicking a couple of goals.

Other members of the 2006 draft class to show off their talents on the night included Matt Tyler who relished the move from the backline to the forward line and booted two goals. Another South Australian Chris Schmidt who turns 18 next month was used across the backline while James Hawksley (ex-Peel Thunder) proved lively in a forward role.

Another pleasing aspect was the performance of homegrown rookies, Gold Coaster Haydn Kiel and the Sunshine Coast's Daniel Dzufer who both displayed plenty of dash on the gold forward line and managed three goals between them.

Of the established players, former Sydney Swan Ben Fixter, now in his second year at the Lions, proved handy in the midfield and slotted home a couple of goals.

Joel Patfull also relished some time on the forward line for the more experienced maroons side after starting in defence, while Matt Moody and Michael Rischiteli both look set to continue on from a solid 2006.

The only casualty for the night appeared to be defender Jed Adcock who is looking to bounce back this season after an injury-riddled 2006. He copped a knee in the back and left the ground in the final term but the injury is not regarded as serious.

Overall Matthews was pleased to see a number of his list finally playing competitive football and was suitably impressed by the performances of Wood, Leuenberger and Kiel.

"You are looking at individual efforts. particularly those you have not seen much of, or hoping might have grown another gear over summer," said the coach.

"Cameron Wood was really good in the ruck and now in his third year he looks like he is ready to go and Matthew Leuenberger looks as good as everyone said he was.

"One of the guys who has impressed me at training is Haydn Kiel and we were delighted when he did not get rookie-listed by anyone else because he had played good footy at AFLQ level."

Of the several players who missed Friday night, Matthews believed that Bradshaw was the only likely candidate to come under consideration for the NAB Cup opener against the Saints next Saturday night.

"The problem is that if they did not play tonight it is hard to bring them in next week,' he said.

"Maybe Bradshaw who has had a sore back. but if he is perfect on Monday he might play but he would be the only one."

woodde3.jpg

NAB AFL Rising Star: round two

By Jen Witham Exclusive to AFL BigPond Network
News

Brisbane Lions ruckman Cameron Wood has become the second player to be nominated for the 2007 NAB AFL Rising Star Award.
Wood, who said he was "surprised" to be named as the Rising Star from round two, has stepped up in the past year as the Lions' ruck stocks have been limited by injury.

Against the Saints on Thursday night, he teamed up with Beau McDonald to amass 30 hit-outs for the team in their 52-point win
The 20-year-old South Australian said while he is continuing to "live the dream" of playing against the country's elite, he was shocked to be singled out from the handful of the round's impressive young performers.

"I was a bit surprised, because I didn't think I played that well. It's a good feeling," he said.

"(Travis) Varcoe and (Tom) Hawkins both played pretty well, and Leroy Jetta from Essendon … it was a bit of a surprise and it's been something I've set my sights on.

"To be nominated this early is just great. It gives me confidence to continue this year, and confidence in my form."

He was selected by the club with the overall No.18 pick in the 2004 NAB AFL Draft, after his agility and marking ability impressed the Lions' coaching staff.

He said the influence of the Lions' ruck coach in dual premiership player and All-Australian ruckman Shaun Rehn had been pivotal in his development.

"I've done the most developing over the past pre-season, as I've put on about seven kilos," he said.

"My skills have definitely improved as well, probably my movement around the ground, and Shaun has helped me a lot with that.

"He coached me at West Adelaide as well before I got drafted. He's been a great help since he came up after my first year. He was a great ruckman in the 90s, won a couple of premierships with Adelaide.

"Along with him and ‘Charmo’ and Beau, who are premiership ruckmen as well, there are a lot of guys to learn from."

Wood is buoyed the fact he managed seven senior games last year, and is determined to hold his spot in the line-up as this season progresses.

"There's a bit of competition for a ruck spot up here, with (Jamie) Charman and McDonald and (Matthew) Leuenberger, who just got drafted," he said.

"I have to try and stay in the senior team as much as I can. I played the last five games of last year, which was good."

Wood joins Essendon's Paddy Ryder as players in contention to win the coveted award for this season.
http://www.lions.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/5085/Default.aspx?newsId=40896

[/LEFT]

woodci0.jpg

Looking forward to seeing how Wood goes after reports of some very good form playing for Suncoast. This will be our first chance to see him and Leuenberger playing together and it will be interesting to compare the two.

I think Leuenberger has been favoured over Wood in recent weeks because of his superior ability to play in the forward line. I'm predicting his role won't change all that much and Wood will play as the #1 ruckman.

Link

It is understood the Sydney Swans are interested in young ruckman Cameron Wood.
The Swans may need to recruit a ruckman as Darren Jolly is considering returning to Melbourne.
The Swans have had recruiting staff watching the 20-year-old at most Lions' reserves games this year.
The Lions have four ruckmen on their books and could struggle to keep them all.
Wood remains in contract, but appears to have been overtaken by 2006 No.4 draft pick Matthew Leuenberger.

woodfx5.jpg

Link

It is understood that Adelaide is prepared to release John Meesen in a trade and Brisbane Lion Cameron Wood, who is contracted for next year, is also likely to make a move given Jamie Charman's hold on the first ruck position with the Lions, Matthew Leuenberger's emergence this year and the fact Beau McDonald is contracted for another season.

Link

Hands up, if you want Cameron Wood

Article from:
Andrew Hamilton
September 21, 2007 12:00am

THE Brisbane Lions are in the box seat to secure two top-10 picks in next month's national draft with Adelaide to seek ex-Croweater Cameron Wood.
The decision by Queenslander Ben Hudson to walk out on Adelaide has left Crows coach Neil Craig with a desperate need for a ruckman and Brisbane with a highly sought after bargaining chip.
Brisbane currently has pick seven after finishing 10th.
Wood, a West Adelaide youngster, fits the Crows' requirements perfectly, but the Lions are not likely to give him up for anything less than a top-10 pick, or a seasoned player and a pick, probably in the mid-20s.
It is understood the Crows are resigned to trading pick 10 and Wood has emerged as their top priority. He was this season overtaken by boom West Aussie Matthew Leuenberger and is seeking greater opportunities elsewhere.
The Western Bulldogs were said to be interested in Wood until Hudson walked out on the Crows this week because of a pay dispute.

woodij2.jpg

Wood and Maric

Is this guy for real?
Do we really have pick number 7?
Would not last a week in a similar job down here, would be spat out of the system at quick rate.

I'm another that would hopes Cam stays, although if he was tempted to walk for nothing next season then that changes things.

Is this guy for real?
Do we really have pick number 7?
Would not last a week in a similar job down here, would be spat out of the system at quick rate.

I'm another that would hopes Cam stays, although if he was tempted to walk for nothing next season then that changes things.

IIRC, he's contracted for next year, so we don't have to trade him at all. I'm yet another who would like to see him stay.

Is there a possibility he may walk into PSD? Well, you can never say never, but it'll depend on quite a few things:

- how many games he plays for us in 2008: this year our main rucks were mostly healthy, and hopefully that continues, touch wood. However, all it takes is a long term injury to Charmo or Leuey and Cam would be guaranteed to play the majority of games next year. Even without injuries I still see him playing 10-15 games next year, since Leuey is really just a boy at the moment after all.

- if he wanted to leave, whether it'll only be to a SA club or just any club that will guarantee him more game time. If it's the former then he can hardly get to Adelaide or Port by PSD - I find it very hard to imagine these clubs getting the wooden spoon next year.

And lastly, if he really wanted to go next year, he would be traded, and we'll be compensated. He's no Ackland, and clubs who don't have #1 pick in PSD and are desperate for a ruckman will make us offers.

So although I hope he plays for us long term, if he wanted to leave and there's no stopping him, we'll get something in return too.

Hopefully he plays 200 games for us though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Link

Ruckman Cameron Wood's future remains unclear. The Lions want to keep him but are prepared to trade to give him greater opportunities elsewhere.

Link

Clubs chase Brisbane ruckman
Jake Niall
October 4, 2007

YOUNG Brisbane Lions ruckman Cameron Wood has attracted significant interest from a number of clubs, including St Kilda, Adelaide and Collingwood.
Wood is contracted to Brisbane for another 12 months, but the South Australian is clearly behind Jamie Charman and outstanding ruck prospect Matthew Leuenberger in the pecking order at Brisbane and is likely to request a trade.
Wood, who was the Lions' first pick in the 2004 draft (No. 18), is looming as one of three or four ruckmen who will figure prominently in trade discussions, with Adelaide pair John Meesen and Ben Hudson seeking new homes — Meesen wants to play for Melbourne, while Hudson is hoping to sign a three-year contract with the Western Bulldogs.
Geelong also could produce a surplus ruckman, given that Steven King and Mark Blake are confronting the season-long question of whether both can be accommodated.
Wood's manager, Justin Reid of Elite Sports Properties, last night confirmed that Wood wanted more opportunities to play.
"Cameron obviously wants more opportunity but he's currently under contract with the Brisbane Lions," Reid said.
"They've got four ruckmen and they're saying he's a required player, but that all could certainly change next week as well. So, you hear a lot of things at this time of year, and a lot of it comes to fruition probably next Thursday and Friday."
Brisbane would demand a first-round draft pick, at the least, in return for the 204-centimetre follower, who spent most of the season in the local competition, with Leuenberger — pick four in the 2006 draft and nominated as a future superstar by champion teammate Jonathan Brown — selected ahead of him in the latter stages of his first season.
Brisbane also has former premiership ruckman Beau McDonald on its list.

woodtt2.jpg

Cameron Wood: wants more opportunities to play.

Link

Big men were all the rage on the opening day of the AFL's trade week on Monday with Brisbane ruckman Cameron Wood, Geelong big man Mark Blake and Essendon key position player Kepler Bradley all the subject of much interest from rival clubs.

With quality ruckmen thin on the ground in the AFL and amongst this year's crop of draftees, all clubs are anxiously looking at trade week to boost their ruck stocks.

Wood, the young Lions' giant who stands 204cm but who has been starved of senior opportunities at the Gabba, was one player who was continually inquired about by rival clubs on Monday.

However Brisbane coach Leigh Matthews warned potential suitors the Lions would not accept just anything in terms of a trade for the 20-year-old, who has played just 16 games but is still developing.

"Only if we think we are advantaged," was Matthews' reply on Monday when asked if the Lions would be willing to trade Wood.

"And at the moment there is nothing that is going to advantage us (in terms of a trade for Wood) that we are aware of."

Matthews said Wood was a valuable player for the Lions, who have put three years of development work into him after taking a punt on him at pick 18 in the 2004 national draft.

"The fact is he is an uncontracted player and the trade period is about weighing up whether someone offers you something (in exchange) that you think will make you better but he (Wood) is a valuable player to us."

"If that transpires then something will happen but if it doesn't transpire then he (Wood) will be in a Lions' jumper next year.

woodhh8.jpg

Link

Collingwood, like the Tigers and Saints, were declaring their interest in Brisbane ruckman Cameron Wood. The Magpies were contemplating the possibility of giving up their first-round pick, selection 14, to put the contracted 20-year-old into a black-and-white jumper.

Given the higher draft positions of both Richmond and St Kilda, who are eyeing Wood in the event that they miss out on Blake, the Magpies believe that it might take their first-round selection to win the day.

"He's under contract so we have to satisfy them (Brisbane) as well as convincing him to come," Collingwood football operations manager Geoff Walsh said.

Link

St Kilda General manager football development Tony Elshaug on Lions ruckman Cameron Wood: "No [we won't be chasing him]".

From the sounds of it nothing remotely acceptable has been put on the table yet.

It'd be good for the club to come out and state clearly that Wood is a required player and that he is a big part of future plans at the club.

It'd be good for the club to come out and state clearly that Wood is a required player and that he is a big part of future plans at the club.

They have said he is an valuable player. Wood was the one (through his manager) who said he wanted to consider his options, so the Lions are just responding to that and seeing what is on the table.

"Cameron obviously wants more opportunity but he's currently under contract with the Brisbane Lions," Reid said.

"They've got four ruckmen and they're saying he's a required player, but that all could certainly change next week as well. So, you hear a lot of things at this time of year, and a lot of it comes to fruition probably next Thursday and Friday."

The above is what Cam's manager said last week. So if the Lions can assure Cam that he'll get chances, he wouldn't be keen to leave. He just sounds like any 20yo AFL player who wants more game time. Hopefully he'll stay. Would hate to lose him just as he's starting to realise his potential.

The above is what Cam's manager said last week. So if the Lions can assure Cam that he'll get chances, he wouldn't be keen to leave.

The Lions can't make those guarantees though. And you can't really come out and say he's a required player if he's not in your starting 22.

I'm happy if he stays, but there is also a chance that a trade can be beneficial to Wood, another club and us, and I'd be happy for that too.

Link

THE LIONS are fielding interest from clubs on emerging ruckman Cameron Wood, but according to the coach, had little involvement in day-two talks.

Link

In the event (Mark) Blake stayed a Cat, the Saints were prepared to pursue Brisbane Lion Cameron Wood but he seems destined for Collingwood, in exchange for the Magpies' first-round selection, pick 14, which the Lions may on-trade to Melbourne for midfielder Travis Johnstone.

Link

A clutch of clubs want contracted young ruckman Cameron Wood. Collingwood, with pick 14, seeming well-placed for a trade as Richmond and St Kilda, with similar interest, have earlier first-round picks that might be too high a price to pay.

Link

The Magpies are keen to discuss ruckman Cameron Wood with Brisbane.

Link

Pies confirm interest in Lions tall
5:36 PM Wed 10 October, 2007By Jennifer Witham
for collingwoodfc.com.au

COLLINGWOOD will continue to negotiate a new contract with ruckman Josh Fraser while pursuing the services of Lions youngster Cameron Wood.
Chief of football operations Geoff Walsh said the Pies were "in the middle" of discussions with Fraser, as trade week passes its halfway mark and Friday’s 2pm deadline looms.
Walsh said the club will continue to speak to the Brisbane Lions about Wood, with a view to the young ruckman becoming a Pie before the week is out.
"We've spoken to Brisbane about him, we'll continue to speak to Brisbane about him, but there's nothing to report as a result there," Walsh said on Wednesday afternoon.
"He's a good young player. At the end of the day, I don't want to be making any big statements about him because he's not our player.
"He's theirs, and at the moment we're talking to them about it. Nothing has happened, so I'll leave the speculation to the journos and the people who are paid to do that.”
Walsh denied the club was specifically looking for an experienced ruckman this week, and said Fremantle's Robert Warnock was not on the radar.
"I don't know where that one came from, we've had no discussions [about Warnock]," he said.
"Wood's a ruckman but I wouldn't say that's a theme for us. We've spoken to Brisbane about him and he's a ruckman, but we're not just combing every nook and cranny for someone just because they fit the bill as a ruckman.
"We talked to Brisbane because we have an interest in Cameron specifically. Are we looking for a ruckman, come what may? No."

woodxm3.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back