Can Gold Coast win the flag within 3 years?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
With Stuart Dew as their new coach, he'd obviously want his team to have grunt and go hard at the footy, an aspect of the Suns that they've sorely lacked. He's spent most of his footballing career with successful teams as well so he's bringing a winning mentality to the young Sons.

My question to you Big Footy is with GC's list, and the qualities that Dew would bring as a coach, can they win the flag within 3 years?

I believe their best 22 to be better than Richmonds flag winning side and the Bulldogs in 2016 however lack any motivation or fight. Dew should bring that to the playing group in spades and if they can get consistency into their games with guys like Hall, Martin and becoming elite, there's no reason as to why they can't snag a flag.

This gonna be good.

Better than 2 flag winning sides, ok well maybe the dogs, but dont have the nerve?

I don't think so.
80889f94d6f6ed7587b88214c7652c5f.gif

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I'd think under new direction/change of coaching. 3 years is about when Dew should get the list near to what he wants. So perhaps they can build towards finals by then, but i'm doubtful and inexperienced interstate club can win a flag that soon

3 years is fairly ambitious, but not without possibility. They have a fairly talented group if you want to look at it from a draft pick perspective, but they appear to require leadership, a structured game plan, and a development of new culture. 3 years is 2020, so an absolute mountain of work would have to happen with very quick results as a result for a flag to be the end result.

I'd be inclined to say doubtful, but who knows. Anything could happen.

If Gold Coast finish last this year they will likely have pick 1 and pick 2 in one of the strongest drafts in 20 years. That should help a bit.
Yep i think its about a 95% chance that they end up with pick 1 and 2 assuming they win the spoon. Probably only north atm in my opinion have the chance to prevent that happening. But then it will be pick 2 and 3 for gc.

I see it likely that the afl try to find a way to "keep" lynch at gcs with outside payments such as the ambassador program.

In the end. There is so much disorder atm at gc that its very hard to believe that they can be a real contender in 3 years. But 2 top 3 picks in what looks like an extremely strong top end of the draft this year will certainly help them rectify some major holes in the list.

Several other things need to be changed/fixed inorder to change the current drive and culture of the playing group otherwise priority picks aren't going to help anyone other than teams poaching the ones willing to move for more success.

I'll be happy to be wrong. But thats how i see it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Richmond can win one anyone can right ?

Why wait 3 years ?

With Stuart Dew as their new coach, he'd obviously want his team to have grunt and go hard at the footy, an aspect of the Suns that they've sorely lacked. He's spent most of his footballing career with successful teams as well so he's bringing a winning mentality to the young Sons.

My question to you Big Footy is with GC's list, and the qualities that Dew would bring as a coach, can they win the flag within 3 years?

I believe their best 22 to be better than Richmonds flag winning side and the Bulldogs in 2016 however lack any motivation or fight. Dew should bring that to the playing group in spades and if they can get consistency into their games with guys like Hall, Martin and becoming elite, there's no reason as to why they can't snag a flag.
Are you going the Stuart Dew Quadrennial Factor theory? I assume you mean 2020

1996 Plays for Central Districts U/17 and they win the flag, then gets draft in Port's inaugural squad
2000 Plays in Central Districts first ever SANFL A grade flag after poor year with Port, qualifies for Centrals
2004 Plays in Port's flag
2008 Plays in Hawthorn's flag
2012 Assistant coach for Sydney in their flag year
2016 Assistant coach for Sydney, they lose the GF after going in as firm favourites.

They need to persuade Lynch to stay to have any chance, I reckon. It's all very well to say they'll get a top 5 (maybe top 2) draft pick as compensation if he leaves, but whoever they pick will take a few years to get to Lynch's level.

And if Lynch does leave, why would someone like Swallow sit and play out the rest of his career at the Gold Coast, knowing he's unlikely to ever play in a competitive side. And if he leaves, surely someone like Martin would start to look at his options too.

Convincing Lynch to stay is crucial, I reckon, to keeping that list from disintegrating and, for the sake of the competition (ie not having Gold Coast completely uncompetitive for the next few years while they build a list up from scratch again), I really hope he does.

I believe their best 22 to be better than Richmonds flag winning side and the Bulldogs in 2016 however lack any motivation or fight
Well that all depends on their development doesn't it? Sure you could argue that the list is better but that is drawing a long bow, the formula change with Dew coming in will depend on the whole FD behind him. From right now it looks like they're bottom 4 team it all hinges on the development of their potential which I'd argue is an unknown at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back