News Carlton AFLW Full Scale Review - UPDATE: Harford & Blues part ways

Remove this Banner Ad

The impression I got from that statement was that it was mainly due to Harford not being able to commit to the role full-time (I’m guessing due to his radio gig, amongst other things). Though could also be a polite way of saying he was no longer suitable for the role, who knows…

Freo also still looking for a head coach, so that makes two clubs on the hunt. Will be interesting to see how this continues to play out.
Seems a lot of the dockers players are keen on Lisa Webb who is part of the Dogs AFLW coaching set up and her husband is part of the mens program at the dogs.

She doesn't seem keen on heading back to Perth so hopefully we will be speaking to her.

Alright! Dunno what needs changing but happy they are going to have a look. Be interested in who is doing the reviewing. Would like to see an overlap with the A F L M program review.

Alright! Dunno what needs changing but happy they are going to have a look. Be interested in who is doing the reviewing. Would like to see an overlap with the A F L M program review.

Click on the link in my OP BG.

Review to be conducted by internal & independent members ...

The panel conducting Carlton's AFLW review will be made up of both internal and independent members and will be led by both Laura Kane, the AFL's general manager of competition management and a former key off-field member of North Melbourne's foundation AFLW side, as well as Errol Amerasekera, a director at the renowned high-performance and cultural organisation Bluestone Edge.

The internal panel members will consist of Carlton CEO Brian Cook, football boss Brad Lloyd, the club's general manager of people and culture Donna Price, and its general manager of media, communications and marketing Vanessa Gigliotti.

From the President's email today ...

Our AFLW program has experienced a big 2022, playing an unprecedented two seasons in the one year.
Clearly though, those seasons didn’t produce the on-field results we were hoping for and as a Board, we have a responsibility to be proactive to ensure we explore all avenues for improvement.

We will closely analyse where we are at as an AFLW program and ensure we are set up to not only improve the overall performance of the team but establish ourselves for the long-term as the competition evolves.

This review has just commenced and will continue into the New Year. We will be in a position to provide further updates once the process is completed in its entirety.

Harford started off well by getting us into a GF via an unbalanced two division system, and did even better by having us one of the genuine favourites the following year before Covid intervened.

I'm not going to speculate as to whether he can coach or not, as we had a lot of departures after that. Players that performed well in his first couple of years fell off the pace a bit. We can speculate as to unity between player and coach, but the fact is that hasn't been the case the whole way through, so did Harford become more difficult in general, or did he demand more as results slipped? We have no way of knowing and anyone who says different has probably indulged in some confirmation bias.

My concerns:

1. Our senior coaching gig is a part time one. It needs to be prioritised. We also need our senior coach to be able to articulate their needs and be empowered to ask for more help in the right areas. It's pretty hard if you have a devon budget and asked to serve up sirloin steak. They simply have to have more input into assistant coaching assistance.

2. Our assistant coaching appointments seem slap dash and used as a training ground for past and current players to learn on the job with a view to future AFL coaching gigs. I see the merit in it to an extent but it also treats the AFLW as an experiment, rather than a high intensity football program. I mean, it was good to see Hammer back at the club, but to create a coaching role for 'tall girls', is a joke. He's effectively coaching the rucks/ruck forwards/key forwards, and it just doesn't work. Our tall forwards are probably our biggest weakness right now. Gibbs and Milford haven't player a lot for various reasons but they aren't teenagers anymore. Mia Austin showed more in 1 game than these two did for the season. Hammer and whoever our forwards coach was, have a lot to answer for there.

3. How much access do we have to fitness programs and sports psychologists, because our players go to pieces regularly? Mostly our young players who I see potential in, but can look all at sea out there when it comes to intensity. Some real mental fragility there.

4. Recruiting is average at best. I think we have done well with a couple of early picks, but we just aren't producing the depth of other teams.

5. Is there any connection at all between our AFLW program and our VFLW program? Why can't we get more AFLW listed players involved in VFLW football when we aren't playing seniors. I know work commitments is a huge part of this, but there are many depth players not getting enough football as the season haven't coincided.

6. Skills. Our gameplan is now one of spreading and ball movement, after being inside bash and crash for so long. I welcome the change as the game had moved past our old style, but our skill level is still way to low to play this way. Who were our skills coaches?

There is more, but my brain fog doesn't allow it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harford started off well by getting us into a GF via an unbalanced two division system, and did even better by having us one of the genuine favourites the following year before Covid intervened.

I'm not going to speculate as to whether he can coach or not, as we had a lot of departures after that. Players that performed well in his first couple of years fell off the pace a bit. We can speculate as to unity between player and coach, but the fact is that hasn't been the case the whole way through, so did Harford become more difficult in general, or did he demand more as results slipped? We have no way of knowing and anyone who says different has probably indulged in some confirmation bias.

My concerns:

1. Our senior coaching gig is a part time one. It needs to be prioritised. We also need our senior coach to be able to articulate their needs and be empowered to ask for more help in the right areas. It's pretty hard if you have a devon budget and asked to serve up sirloin steak. They simply have to have more input into assistant coaching assistance.

2. Our assistant coaching appointments seem slap dash and used as a training ground for past and current players to learn on the job with a view to future AFL coaching gigs. I see the merit in it to an extent but it also treats the AFLW as an experiment, rather than a high intensity football program. I mean, it was good to see Hammer back at the club, but to create a coaching role for 'tall girls', is a joke. He's effectively coaching the rucks/ruck forwards/key forwards, and it just doesn't work. Our tall forwards are probably our biggest weakness right now. Gibbs and Milford haven't player a lot for various reasons but they aren't teenagers anymore. Mia Austin showed more in 1 game than these two did for the season. Hammer and whoever our forwards coach was, have a lot to answer for there.

3. How much access do we have to fitness programs and sports psychologists, because our players go to pieces regularly? Mostly our young players who I see potential in, but can look all at sea out there when it comes to intensity. Some real mental fragility there.

4. Recruiting is average at best. I think we have done well with a couple of early picks, but we just aren't producing the depth of other teams.

5. Is there any connection at all between our AFLW program and our VFLW program? Why can't we get more AFLW listed players involved in VFLW football when we aren't playing seniors. I know work commitments is a huge part of this, but there are many depth players not getting enough football as the season haven't coincided.

6. Skills. Our gameplan is now one of spreading and ball movement, after being inside bash and crash for so long. I welcome the change as the game had moved past our old style, but our skill level is still way to low to play this way. Who were our skills coaches?

👍

My concerns:

As you know this echoes a lot of my thoughts, but I believe the VFLW has quotas for AFLW signed players in standalone team sheets? Not that I think we were anywhere near the cap.

Away from that, this is long overdue, and Harford was given a contract which made no sense given we had a list structure and player fitness levels that seemed totally out of touch with modern AFLM and AFLW.

This is a long time coming.

One of our former players - who shall remain nameless - suggested that the club failed to take the AFLW as seriously as she would have liked. Instead likening it to one big marketing/publicity stunt

This is a big move in the right direction

Well done CFC

Edit/add: I've seen people here and elsewhere ask why this wasn't done sooner. Our primary product is our men's team. We all know that wasn't in the position that we wanted it to be in. Therefore, by extension, what hope did our women's team have? In business you prioritise the primary product and then you prioritise the other areas of the business. This is both a good sign for our primary product and the future of the women's team. They'll put to work the lessons of the last 12+ months into this and produce a much better result than trying and struggling to improve everything simultaneously. This is part of the club's continuous improvement.

Last edited:
Glad we are going down this path instead of the old “just sack the coach” move. If it is found that he is part of the issue, then removal can be more justified.

However echoing what others have said, I think our issues go a lot deeper than that and the whole thing needs an overhaul. There have been issues from the start. Talking to our four remaining inaugural players (Vescio, Pound, Moody, Plane) to get their thoughts on the evolution of the program might be a good place to begin.

Glad we are going down this path instead of the old “just sack the coach” move. If it is found that he is part of the issue, then removal can be more justified.

However echoing what others have said, I think our issues go a lot deeper than that and the whole thing needs an overhaul. There have been issues from the start. Talking to our four remaining inaugural players (Vescio, Pound, Moody, Plane) to get their thoughts on the evolution of the program might be a good place to begin.
I'd also be interested in the thoughts of the past players. The Hosking twins for example.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd also be interested in the thoughts of the past players. The Hosking twins for example.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Seems like a retrograde step to me.

There was clearly a divide in the playing group and it seemed to be centred around standards. Tayla Harris obviously had an issue at the club due to her competing interests, and the Hosking twins were her besties at the club. Their perspective may not be helpful towards improving our performance. I don't even see why they should be held in such high regard, beyond thier exit interviews if they completed one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back