Game Day AFLW Round 6 - Carlton v Bulldogs - Friday 6th Oct 7.15pm @ Whitten Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

I went along last night with my two teenage children.

We all had a great time. It’s the second AFLW game we’ve been to at the Whitten Oval and I must say it’s a great ground to watch footy. We sat on the hill behind the goals and joined in the Carlton chant with our cheersquad and enjoyed the light hearted banter with the doggies cheersquad sitting adjacent to ours. Family friendly atmosphere and a wonderful vibe.

I thought we played with attacking flair and the team really look like they’re enjoying their footy and playing with confidence. I love Gabby Pound, hard at it and loves the contest. The midfield looks great and Skepper was particularly impressive.

We struggled with our forward entries/connection at times and wasted some opportunities but hopefully some solid learnings when they go over the tape.

Shoutout to the ground curator as the surface looked in pristine knick.

Really enjoyable evening at the footy. 👍🏻
I reckon the western is even more betterer than princes park for these games, so fan friendly and genuinely pro-community......

I reckon the western is even more betterer than princes park for these games, so fan friendly and genuinely pro-community......
Yes, exactly that! No agro, entirely family friendly atmosphere with some friendly banter. Seems closer to the action somehow also maybe just the effect of grassy hill incline where I was sitting vs our grandstands not sure.

Not to mention the "hands in close". It doesn't always come off, and there are still the hurried/blind kicks out of packs, but they have improved so much at flicking the ball around in tight until they can release to someone on the outside. It makes a huge difference to the effectiveness of their ball movement.
Absolutely makes a huge difference, the manner in the way we were positioning running and moving the ball is beginning to now resemble how the better quality teams go about it…
Still plenty of improvement to come in general but what a great platform we’ve (Bucky) has created for these players to build on, particularly as they get more experience both individually and more cohesive as a team…

Last edited:
Well done girls! Developing nicely and playing the hand they have been dealt as best they can.
However the flip side of a ridiculously easy fixture doesn't show a true reflection of where they are truly at, North Melbourne game being the best indicator so far.
Just shows how the current format doesn't work, reward poorly performed teams with easier draw and well performed teams with a harder draw.... the stupidity! Should be evenly balanced for all teams, every year. The result of this is teams like Carlton might make finals but then be embarrassed and bundled out, denting their confidence for the coming year and the AFLW producing disappointing finals series. Not to mention sliding down the draft order with an already shallow list. In boxing terms the AFLW are producing paper doll contenders by doing this.

Now we face Collingwood who we haven't beaten for a few years now and look to be trending upwards at the moment, will be a good test.... May the better team win! If that's not us, so be it as making finals this year might not be the best thing for us as a club.

Ice Cube Reaction GIF

Have only seen parts of most games and only highlights of this weeks game, but the standout feature to me has been the effort in the contest.

Much more aggressive at the ball and player this year, similar to the turn around for the boys mid season.

I’m really pleased that the girls are getting to have some wins despite being a few rungs below the top teams in skills, structure, strength and speed.

There is a long road ahead but they are giving their all and as belief grows as a team they will continue to improve quickly.

Oh and shout out to Abbie and Goodsy they are just getting better and better each and every game. And the younger players are jumping on!!!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This side is playing some good team football and growing very nicely. I know it is still an uneven competition but gee, can't help but be impressed by how these girls are buying in to the game plan. Gab Pound so cool under pressure and her kick outs always hitting a target and the experience of McWilliams is helping the forward line.

Keeley Sheerar looks to be a star in the making.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gab Pound and Jess Good named in the Team of the Week! 👏🏻

Congrats to the ladies, but this team of the week crap remains a joke. Absolutely no integrity in selections for weeks now. One woman’s Mickey Mouse selections. While it is not necessarily different to the media signings in the men’s game as jobs for the boys it seems even more so with AFLW media.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back