Game Day AFLW - Round 1 Carlton v Gold Coast at Ikon Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Jim, I find your analysis so confounding, both with your weekly ins and outs in the men’s team and here with your position/structure of the ladies team.
Thank you for your feedback?
As for frittering away our talent, I was disappointed we saw so players leave over the years but we are certainly not the only club to see heavy turn over, and I am not privy to the whys and where fores of each individual choice but can feel confident in saying it wasn’t the club’s preference or deliberate actions.

We have just upended the aflw program and had a significant and well documented “rebuild”, to say we haven’t reviewed the program is mind boggling.
We then went on to make some strange selections deeper into the supplemental draft, and some strange top-up decisions in the wake of season-ending injuries.
From my pov Ortlepp was just about the weakest link today and the coaches have much more insight into where players are at physically and what constitutes our strongest combination.
Ortlepp got 14% game time, how can anyone have impact on the back of that?
New coaches, new system, new players it’s going to take a while, so I wouldn’t say 3 weeks is going to be enough time to iron things out regardless of how much you might want to have it sorted.
It's a new league, with sizeable player churn every year... there's lots of new things. We're slow to adapt, and that's not unique to just the AFLW side of our football club.
I hope we can see incremental improvements but progress won’t always be linear and some teams are way ahead.

If we can get back to playing deep into finals in 3 seasons that would a great achievement.
That's a reasonable expectation, but it would involve making inroads this season, not falling back to most of our old structure and tactics. Our endurance base also needs to get a lot better a lot faster.

Also not interested in a football department that picks talent based excessively on state level production, because right now the best way to succeed involves picking players to play a form of the women's game that doesn't exist yet.

Saw about 70% of the play and was both impressed and heartened to see the endeavour and some extra layers to our game.

Bear in mind we have a very young group. Missing the skipper and our forward focal point. Guerrin is a huge out, will make a massive difference if/when she can get on the park.

I like Moody being utilised forward, but suspect she was underdone or carrying a niggle. Was nit the usual irrepressible force.. Defensive structures were a little surprising but “Bucky” seems both proactive and practical, so prepared to give him time to establish some structures.

I am far more confident we are heading in the right direction than for a long time with this group. Not expecting miracles, but expecting to see sustained development.

Saw about 70% of the play and was both impressed and heartened to see the endeavour and some extra layers to our game.

Bear in mind we have a very young group. Missing the skipper and our forward focal point. Guerrin is a huge out, will make a massive difference if/when she can get on the park.

I like Moody being utilised forward, but suspect she was underdone or carrying a niggle. Was nit the usual irrepressible force.. Defensive structures were a little surprising but “Bucky” seems both proactive and practical, so prepared to give him time to establish some structures.

I am far more confident we are heading in the right direction than for a long time with this group. Not expecting miracles, but expecting to see sustained development.

I agree, the difference between yesterday and last season was fairly stark.

Our contested play was pretty good considering GC are very strong in that area.

Rowbottom is a bull and is pretty much the aflw’s Crippa. She is bigger and stronger than anyone in the clearance but was nullified quite well I thought, especially in the middle part of the game.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just great for morale of the players to get a win (got really dicey in the last 10 minutes) esp after the pre season and last season where we seemingly forgotten how to win.

Still got some areas of our game to work on, esp 4th quarter fade outs, but it does feel like a real fresh start for the players and isn't Darcy Vesico an absolute champion.

F5JNK1YXEAA4zci

Remove this Banner Ad

Back