Game Day AFLW - Round 1 Carlton v Gold Coast at Ikon Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Forget the umpiring, ridiculous player management and structure. Ortlepp spent most of the game on the bench... why???

Moody didn't touch the ball in the first half, persistence with Dal Pos on ball starved our outside types... bizarre choices.

Some of our players look like they've been practicing winning 1v1s, but have zero training for what to do if they have to run more than 5 metres with the ball. That's wild.

What happened to working on the fundamentals?

Forget the umpiring, ridiculous player management and structure. Ortlepp spent most of the game on the bench... why???

Moody didn't touch the ball in the first half, persistence with Dal Pos on ball starved our outside types... bizarre choices.

We have the reigning AA ruck, arguably the best in the league, who spent most of her time in the forward line. Confused.

Anyway, glad we managed to hold on. Fair bit of promise there!

Respectfully disagree, Bre was in the ruck at important moments and we have a need for some structure in front of the ball.

I thought Jess played well in the ruck .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
You don't take the AA ruck, turn her into a statue, and celebrate that as a tactical win. Good was just average, and Moody has long been inconsistent as a permanent forward. Swap it around.

Not sitting through another season of that experiment... the finance department at the University of Carlton is long overdue for sitting down the boys at the lab and telling them their funding has been pulled due to lack of results.

Side was way too tall, but can respect that the only options would have been Finn on debut and maybe an unfit Gab Pound.

You don't take the AA ruck, turn her into a statue, and celebrate that as a tactical win. Good was just average, and Moody has long been inconsistent as a permanent forward. Swap it around.

Not sitting through another season of that experiment... the finance department at the University of Carlton is long overdue for sitting down the boys at the lab and telling them their funding has been pulled due to lack of results.

Side was way too tall, but can respect that the only options would have been Finn on debut and maybe an unfit Gab Pound.

Did you miss Moody in the ruck?

Moody has never played as a permanent forward, and the obvious coaching decision is to rotate both Moody and Good through the forward line.

You have lost me with your reference to the bean counters sacking the tacticians.

It seems to me Jim you should head down to the club and share your perspective.

Anyway the messages out of the club are we are starting again and are a long way from top teams.

I get the impression your expectations are much higher than where they are at.

let’s give them a chance to improve over the next couple of seasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you miss Moody in the ruck?

Moody has never played as a permanent forward, and the obvious coaching decision is to rotate both Moody and Good through the forward line.
This rotation didn't occur for more than half the game. Moody had two stats to her name at half time: a handball and a tackle.
You have lost me with your reference to the bean counters sacking the tacticians.
It's a metaphor, suggesting they've been playing around with this concept for years without any real results.
It seems to me Jim you should head down to the club and share your perspective.
Enough people tapped into the club read here.
Anyway the messages out of the club are we are starting again and are a long way from top teams.
Only because we frittered away the value in our list without consideration of outside consultation, robust internal process, and almost zero regard for the growing and evolving league.
I get the impression your expectations are much higher than where they are at.
I just wanted us to have a dynamic way of getting the ball out of stoppages instead of hacking it out. Hill to the wing is great if you actually get it to her.

I wanted us to not treat Ortlepp like a final quarter sub, and to have 3 other players at or below 50% game time. It's not a pre-season game, they should be rotating players through so we don't run out of legs at the end of the game.
let’s give them a chance to improve over the next couple of seasons.
With the draft zones as a Victorian club, we'll be stuck at the bottom for a while if we want to improve the list through drafting and trading alone.

Hopefully we restructure the team with the players available to us over the next 3 weeks, and iron this out quickly.

Sorry mods, didn't see a gameday thread so I thought I would start one for anyone else who is watching our season opener !

Bit of a scrappy start but yay, Vescio gets the first goal of the game and our season.

Come on You Blues

Thanks

Sorry all, we dropped the ball on this one. We didn't coordinate who was going to start the thread and all assumed another would do it.

This rotation didn't occur for more than half the game. Moody had two stats to her name at half time: a handball and a tackle.

It's a metaphor, suggesting they've been playing around with this concept for years without any real results.

Enough people tapped into the club read here.

Only because we frittered away the value in our list without consideration of outside consultation, robust internal process, and almost zero regard for the growing and evolving league.

I just wanted us to have a dynamic way of getting the ball out of stoppages instead of hacking it out. Hill to the wing is great if you actually get it to her.

I wanted us to not treat Ortlepp like a final quarter sub, and to have 3 other players at or below 50% game time. It's not a pre-season game, they should be rotating players through so we don't run out of legs at the end of the game.

With the draft zones as a Victorian club, we'll be stuck at the bottom for a while if we want to improve the list through drafting and trading alone.

Hopefully we restructure the team with the players available to us over the next 3 weeks, and iron this out quickly.

Jim, I find your analysis so confounding, both with your weekly ins and outs in the men’s team and here with your position/structure of the ladies team.

I only saw the game on tv, wondering if you were at the game or had the same vision as me.

As for frittering away our talent, I was disappointed we saw so players leave over the years but we are certainly not the only club to see heavy turn over, and I am not privy to the whys and where fores of each individual choice but can feel confident in saying it wasn’t the club’s preference or deliberate actions.

We have just upended the aflw program and had a significant and well documented “rebuild”, to say we haven’t reviewed the program is mind boggling.

From my pov Ortlepp was just about the weakest link today and the coaches have much more insight into where players are at physically and what constitutes our strongest combination.

New coaches, new system, new players it’s going to take a while, so I wouldn’t say 3 weeks is going to be enough time to iron things out regardless of how much you might want to have it sorted.

I hope we can see incremental improvements but progress won’t always be linear and some teams are way ahead.

If we can get back to playing deep into finals in 3 seasons that would a great achievement.

Character building win. First way up is to learn to be prepared to come out on top under a lot of pressure.

I had to watch this with the sound muted though.

That Ruby person was too painful to listen too for a whole game. Horrible.

Character building win. First way up is to learn to be prepared to come out on top under a lot of pressure.

I had to watch this with the sound muted though.

That Ruby person was too painful to listen too for a whole game. Horrible.

Dicko wasn't exactly easy listening.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back