Game Day AFLW Round 6 - Carlton v Bulldogs - Friday 6th Oct 7.15pm @ Whitten Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bucky’s brand is growing with every game, besides the kangas game who are amongst the top couple of heavyweight challengers, our year so far has been incredible considering where we were most likely predicted to be finishing amongst this year…

Every other game this year so far we have displayed a greater competitive contested/accountable style of footy across every line, our team pressure, awareness, positioning, connection and structures are of a much better level, for such a young and inexperienced group to be playing in this manner during the season our progression has been not only surprising but great to watch…
Evolving and playing a great brand of footy 👍

Buck creating good team connection between the arcs. What we've been missing. Players making it happen. Looking forward to next week's game.
This is so true. But man, did they burn some inside 50's tonight? If they can get out-to-in 50 connections looking anything like the between-the-arcs connection, they'll go to another level again.

It's amazing what hard work and determination will do. Abb's been my favourite player almost from the start.

Year 1, in and out of the side, just didn't have the skillset of the others.
Year 2, developed her pressure game and was getting games as a pressure mid/run-with type, but not getting much of the ball.
Year 3, starts getting the ball, but her disposal and decision making was lacking.
Year 4, is getting the ball plenty and often doing good things with it.

I don't know if it's Year 5 or 6 for Abbie, but I think we can now add goal-kicking-mid to her skillset, as well as leadership (according to Keeley Sherar). The continual improvement across her career is nothing short of remarkable.

Bucky’s brand is growing with every game, besides the kangas game who are amongst the top couple of heavyweight challengers, our year so far has been incredible considering where we were most likely predicted to be finishing amongst this year…

Every other game this year so far we have displayed a greater competitive contested/accountable style of footy across every line, our team pressure, awareness, positioning, connection and structures are of a much better level, for such a young and inexperienced group to be playing in this manner during the season our progression has been not only surprising but great to watch…
Evolving and playing a great brand of footy 👍
Not to mention the "hands in close". It doesn't always come off, and there are still the hurried/blind kicks out of packs, but they have improved so much at flicking the ball around in tight until they can release to someone on the outside. It makes a huge difference to the effectiveness of their ball movement.

This was my first watch for this year. The girls looked so comfortable out there, unlike the last few years. We always looked confused and lost under Harford with constant extras around the ball and behind the ball and no-one ever to kick to forward of the ball. The change was stark.

Skeppar is a great natural kick of the footy. Typical lefty. Her kicking style really was a bit wow. 4 gun young ball winners and runners in Hill, McKay and the Keeley's.

Some really good overhead marks, some great positional kicking, solid defending, and kicking the snags. Just enjoyable watching them being allowed to play more positional footy which allows them to win contests and help out mates and see results flow from those wins and get on the scoreboard. It builds confidence in all footballers.

Enjoyed the game.

I went along last night with my two teenage children.

We all had a great time. It’s the second AFLW game we’ve been to at the Whitten Oval and I must say it’s a great ground to watch footy. We sat on the hill behind the goals and joined in the Carlton chant with our cheersquad and enjoyed the light hearted banter with the doggies cheersquad sitting adjacent to ours. Family friendly atmosphere and a wonderful vibe.

I thought we played with attacking flair and the team really look like they’re enjoying their footy and playing with confidence. I love Gabby Pound, hard at it and loves the contest. The midfield looks great and Skepper was particularly impressive.

We struggled with our forward entries/connection at times and wasted some opportunities but hopefully some solid learnings when they go over the tape.

Shoutout to the ground curator as the surface looked in pristine knick.

Really enjoyable evening at the footy. 👍🏻

Well done girls! Developing nicely and playing the hand they have been dealt as best they can.
However the flip side of a ridiculously easy fixture doesn't show a true reflection of where they are truly at, North Melbourne game being the best indicator so far.
Just shows how the current format doesn't work, reward poorly performed teams with easier draw and well performed teams with a harder draw.... the stupidity! Should be evenly balanced for all teams, every year. The result of this is teams like Carlton might make finals but then be embarrassed and bundled out, denting their confidence for the coming year and the AFLW producing disappointing finals series. Not to mention sliding down the draft order with an already shallow list. In boxing terms the AFLW are producing paper doll contenders by doing this.

Now we face Collingwood who we haven't beaten for a few years now and look to be trending upwards at the moment, will be a good test.... May the better team win! If that's not us, so be it as making finals this year might not be the best thing for us as a club.

Well done girls! Developing nicely and playing the hand they have been dealt as best they can.
However the flip side of a ridiculously easy fixture doesn't show a true reflection of where they are truly at, North Melbourne game being the best indicator so far.
Just shows how the current format doesn't work, reward poorly performed teams with easier draw and well performed teams with a harder draw.... the stupidity! Should be evenly balanced for all teams, every year. The result of this is teams like Carlton might make finals but then be embarrassed and bundled out, denting their confidence for the coming year and the AFLW producing disappointing finals series. Not to mention sliding down the draft order with an already shallow list. In boxing terms the AFLW are producing paper doll contenders by doing this.

Now we face Collingwood who we haven't beaten for a few years now and look to be trending upwards at the moment, will be a good test.... May the better team win! If that's not us, so be it as making finals this year might not be the best thing for us as a club.
Sometimes I don't think you are a Carlton supporter Georgie. Have you seen our draft hands for the last couple of years? When we have finished low on the ladder?

Much more valuable getting some experience against better sides and in finals, than assuming a better draft hand by finishing lower. It is the AFL - favourites will be played, inequalities will prevail.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back