Coach Carlton Coaching Group 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the biggest thing Teague needs is a really experienced senior assistant and someone whom has coached at AFL senior level before, look at the impact Choco Williams is having at Dees. And I’m also not talking about a bit part part time woosha arrangement. Ideal candidates for me would be; Leppa (loving his work on SEN), Scott (ex Roos, now working at AFL), and or Lyon. I’d be bloody wrapped to lure any of this group into a senior assistant role.

How many goals did we kick against Melbourne?
Not enough today but still don’t think our goal kicking is a major issue for us. there is room for improvement but team defense is where we should focus more. That is where we are getting cut up. We need to learn the art of applying relentless pressure just like swans and tigers do. Cats last week against tigers another good example.

I think the biggest thing Teague needs is a really experienced senior assistant and someone whom has coached at AFL senior level before, look at the impact Choco Williams is having at Dees. And I’m also not talking about a bit part part time woosha arrangement. Ideal candidates for me would be; Leppa (loving his work on SEN), Scott (ex Roos, now working at AFL), and or Lyon. I’d be bloody wrapped to lure any of this group into a senior assistant role.
We keep missing the bus...We should go after Yze, for the coaching role before someone else grabs him. David Noble was a left-field selection for Norf, and he has done a good job with a very ordinary list. Many years of experience like Chris Fagan..

I've come around to the idea that there really is only one candidate who makes sense. This is going to be unpopular (I suspect) but...

Ross Lyon.

I honestly think we need a cultural shift as much as anything. We need someone who will ruffle feathers and maybe see some departures, but who can also handle the scrutiny and media pressure, handle the players and supporters sphincters tightening every time the other team gets a 3 goal run going...

Ross has that. He's also familiar with Carlton and the environment, having been with us previously, and I think he would appreciate the 'romance' in trying to rebuild a fallen great club. He's been part of similar rebuild projects before too - he took St Kilda and Freo to grand finals - both of those clubs had a long history of failure prior to his arrival. He's a defensive minded coach who has got a lot out of his big forwards (Pavlich, Riewoldt).

He's also available and keen to coach again.

Yep, he brings controversy, and might not be the nicest person. He's older too, and might need to hand over in a few years, but I reckon we could handle that too...

I've come around to the idea that there really is only one candidate who makes sense. This is going to be unpopular (I suspect) but...

Ross Lyon.

I honestly think we need a cultural shift as much as anything. We need someone who will ruffle feathers and maybe see some departures, but who can also handle the scrutiny and media pressure, handle the players and supporters sphincters tightening every time the other team gets a 3 goal run going...

Ross has that. He's also familiar with Carlton and the environment, having been with us previously, and I think he would appreciate the 'romance' in trying to rebuild a fallen great club. He's been part of similar rebuild projects before too - he took St Kilda and Freo to grand finals - both of those clubs had a long history of failure prior to his arrival. He's a defensive minded coach who has got a lot out of his big forwards (Pavlich, Riewoldt).

Yep, he brings controversy, and might not be the nicest person. He's older too, and might need to hand over in a few years, but I reckon we could handle that too...
He is not available and has been using Riewoldt and others to spruik him. If he wants to coach, put up his hand approach the club, and say so. If not, bugger off.
You think a defensive-minded coach is good? Remember our game style under Malthouse and Bolton who were defensive-orientated coaches.

Would love this, but would never happen.. They would compliment each other so well.
Head Coach - Ross Lyon
Senior Assistant - David Teague (Succession plan when Lyon retires)

Would only 100% move Teague on for a Clarkson, Simpson
Would be open to Lyon, Longmuir, Caracella

Teague
Positives

• Has a great rapport with the senior playing group
  • Game plan scores quickly and heavily
  • Game plan is competitive for 3/4 of the game
  • Cares about the club
  • Loyal to players
Negatives
  • Neglects Defence
  • Game plan is only competitive not a winning one
  • Can't stop run on's
  • Picks favourites
  • Play's to many out of position and won't allow others to rotate in midfield
  • Too many players have regressed under his tenure
nt a bad idea although not sure about ross. i like the way dees went about it. Paul roos when we started the rebuild would have been good to establish key areas of footy department including hiring of hc and assistants. after 3 years the hc takes over and roos leaves.

nt a bad idea although not sure about ross. i like the way dees went about it. Paul roos when we started the rebuild would have been good to establish key areas of footy department including hiring of hc and assistants. after 3 years the hc takes over and roos leaves.

Not sure on Lyon either..
But Lyon one of the best defensive coaches and Teague a good attacking coach, could make a super team..

Ross Lyon.

appreciate the romance - ok then - please reflect on your ideas and re-submit.........

It’s reported we have approached Leppa for 2 roles, either as a Senior Assistant to Teague or to replace Judd on the board as Football Director.

Lol amateur hour...allegedly Brad Lloyd approached him about being a senior assistant AFTER our board approached him about replacing Judd as Footy Director...but Lloyd didn't actually know about that.

We don't seem like a connected club at the moment from the top down.

But yeah we need an experienced, senior assistant like him, similar to Choco Williams' impact at Melbourne and Don Pyke at Sydney.

It helped the Dees that the AFL were willing to pay Roos' wages. Same AFL that changed the competition rules to deny Carlton a priority pick after a two win season.

Sam McClure, stated that Carlton are happy with Teague..
His Carlton mail is normally pretty tight...

So looks like we are going to stick with Teague :unsure:

What sort of Assistants do we now need then?
  • People who will challenge and support Teague (No more Yes men)
  • Assistants that have proven they can structure a game plan so all 3 zones can work together as a team
  • Proven finals performers
  • Proven strategist
Who would you have?
(Have to be mindful of the cap)

Director of Coaching - Justin Leppitsch (Chris Judd)
Head of Football - (Lloyd)

Senior Assistant - ? (Worsfold)
Forwards - ? (Bruce)
Midfield - ? (Stanton)
Stoppages - ? (Barker)
Defence - ? (Amos)

Fitness - ? (Andrew Russell)

Personally I'd get rid of Director of coaching role (duplicated role), as well as move Andrew Russell on for someone cheaper to save $$$ on the soft cap...
Put Leppitsch as Head of Football and he can report to the board.. Use the money saved on better assistants..
Head of Football - Leppitch (out Lloyd)
Senior Coach - David Teagye
Senior Assistant/Backline - Adam Kingsley (out Amos)
Midfield Coach - Robert Harvey (out Barker)
Midfield Strategy/Transition - Nigel Lappin (out Stanton)
Forward Coach - Jaymie Graham (out Bruce)
Also new Fitness boss as Russell is to expensive and hasn’t improved much. Need fresh eyes

Head of Football - Leppitch (out Lloyd)
Senior Coach - David Teagye
Senior Assistant/Backline - Adam Kingsley (out Amos)
Midfield Coach - Robert Harvey (out Barker)
Midfield Strategy/Transition - Nigel Lappin (out Stanton)
Forward Coach - Jaymie Graham (out Bruce)
Also new Fitness boss as Russell is to expensive and hasn’t improved much. Need fresh eyes
Seems like pies fans don't rate Harvey at all, for what it's worth

On CPH1877 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam McClure, stated that Carlton are happy with Teague..
His Carlton mail is normally pretty tight...

So looks like we are going to stick with Teague :unsure:

What sort of Assistants do we now need then?
  • People who will challenge and support Teague (No more Yes men)
  • Assistants that have proven they can structure a game plan so all 3 zones can work together as a team
  • Proven finals performers
  • Proven strategist
Who would you have?
(Have to be mindful of the cap)

Director of Coaching - Justin Leppitsch (Chris Judd)
Head of Football - (Lloyd)

Senior Assistant - ? (Worsfold)
Forwards - ? (Bruce)
Midfield - ? (Stanton)
Stoppages - ? (Barker)
Defence - ? (Amos)

Fitness - ? (Andrew Russell)

Personally I'd get rid of Director of coaching role (duplicated role), as well as move Andrew Russell on for someone cheaper to save $$$ on the soft cap...
Put Leppitsch as Head of Football and he can report to the board.. Use the money saved on better assistants..
Listening to Sellars last night, would have to agree with him that Lloyds position is compromised. Matthew Lloyd seems to know everything that is coming out of Carlton and does not miss a chance to take a pot shot. Teague will be wary of Leppitsch knowing that he could be undermined, just like he undermined Bolton....allegedly...
Worsfold is past his use by date.. You have Gary Ayres coaching his 250th game at Port Melbourne this week, previously coached Adelaide and Geelong, and assistant to Sheedy at Essendon. He been involved in footy non-stop since he retired, knows the VFL better than anyone, he would be an excellent Senior Assistant.

Just listening to Matt Rendell on SEN. He says if we don't make eight this year, Teague is in trouble. Suggests we go hard after Clarkson to replace Teague. Mitchell is next coach in waiting there, and maybe running out of patience putting pressure on Hawthorn. Stated Clarkson not happy with doing a rebuild at Hawks, and going to an improving team with a window ajar/opening for short term finals success would be more to his liking. Also he would likely attract top players as well. Suggested he keep Teague on coaching panel. Sounds good, but he would demand top dollar. I'm not sure on this strategy, as we've gone down this path before, i.e, Pagan & Malthouse, and failed. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Just listening to Matt Rendell on SEN. He says if we don't make eight this year, Teague is in trouble. Suggests we go hard after Clarkson to replace Teague. Mitchell is next coach in waiting there, and maybe running out of patience. Stated Clarkson not happy with doing a rebuild at Hawks, and going to an improving team with a window ajar/opening for short term finals success would be more to his liking. Also he would likely attract top players as well. Suggested he keep Teague on coaching panel. Sounds good, but he would demand top dollar. I'm not sure on this strategy, as we've gone down this path before, i.e, Pagan & Malthouse, and failed. Thoughts?

Stop reading right there.

Just listening to Matt Rendell on SEN. He says if we don't make eight this year, Teague is in trouble. Suggests we go hard after Clarkson to replace Teague. Mitchell is next coach in waiting there, and maybe running out of patience putting pressure on Hawthorn. Stated Clarkson not happy with doing a rebuild at Hawks, and going to an improving team with a window ajar/opening for short term finals success would be more to his liking. Also he would likely attract top players as well. Suggested he keep Teague on coaching panel. Sounds good, but he would demand top dollar. I'm not sure on this strategy, as we've gone down this path before, i.e, Pagan & Malthouse, and failed. Thoughts?
He also reckons Collingwood can contend for the flag next year.

Just to be clear, Judd isnt director of coaching, he's football director, a board position interfacing with the football department.

A director of coaching would be more of a coach to the coaches and probably report into the head of football (Lloyd), who reports into the CEO & the football director.

If we don't make finals I'd say there is a good chance Clarkson will be our coach next year. I personally can't stand the bloke but cannot knock his credentials. Smells a little of Malthouse take 2? I am undecided. If it happens no doubt he'd bring his own team of assistants. Really don't know how to feel about this.

If we don't make finals I'd say there is a good chance Clarkson will be our coach next year. I personally can't stand the bloke but cannot knock his credentials. Smells a little of Malthouse take 2? I am undecided. If it happens no doubt he'd bring his own team of assistants. Really don't know how to feel about this.
Plenty of contempt for the bloke on past actions, so would be a little torn if we took him on. I don’t see him as revisiting the Malthouse debacle. MM was never invested seduced by his own ego. The bloody book tour bull sh*t should have sent alarm bells to our management. I am comfortable that if Clarkson comes to us we will get 100%, totally different character. I am confident any decent coach will take our group to the ultimate success.

I would love to support Teague, but too many red flags for mine. The Cuningham plan that reverted to Owies to be accountable for Lever was absolute delusion. Setterfield the obvious (Willo from the non selections or one of our 3rd tall defenders Plowman or Parks would have been better options). They are throwing too many illogical Hail Mary options to give me any confidence.

I think there will definately be changes to the soft cap after this year due to the spotlight it’s been getting and how coaches are wanting to leave the industry by being over worked.

I was listening to SEN today and they have the head of coaches association on. They were discussing having the head coaches salary outside the soft cap as a option moving forward.

This could help offering clarko a godfather offer if that’s the path we follow

Not enough today but still don’t think our goal kicking is a major issue for us. there is room for improvement but team defense is where we should focus more. That is where we are getting cut up. We need to learn the art of applying relentless pressure just like swans and tigers do. Cats last week against tigers another good example.

Agree axe . Even when oppo have the ball and we are meters away for god sakes gut run to possibly force a turnover. No acceptance jogging ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Barker and Stanton out. Personally think our forwards are playing well.
Our forwards could be doing bette, too many times we’re watching Harry and Levi flying together instead of just the one of them. Also, their leading patterns and runs are all over the place. We could use a better forwards coach, but happy to stick with Bruce if he can get the job done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back