Carlton in no man's land

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm starting to feel like a delusional Blues supporter, tipping them each of the past three weeks but only getting one correct. Surely this week they will bounce back as "the hunter", much like Melbourne did against Geelong.

It's a similar situation where if the lower ranked team loses, top 4 is looking dicey, but if they win they are right back in the mix. It's not as critical of a game for Melbourne.

Blues will be ok. They're a good side and will click eventually. People wrote off Geelong in 2006/early 2007. Richmond were up and down in 2016.
People were saying similar things about Richmond back then too, regarding their top few players being amazing and the rest of the squad not being much chop.
Hardwick also copped similar criticisms to what Voss cops, regarding lack of tactical nous.

It's amazing to find out Carlton is the only team to have injuries and that's the reason for this poor form.
Injuries not even to the top 3 - 5 players. Good honest role players being glorified better than they are

I will say the lack of a quality half forward &/or small forward is currently telling. Will Hayward would completely change the dynamic of the front 6. Opening up pockets of space for the big 2 behind him. Improve Durdin, Owies etc if Motlop ever gets fit again and they look much much more dynamic.

I will say the lack of a quality half forward &/or small forward is currently telling. Will Hayward would completely change the dynamic of the front 6. Opening up pockets of space for the big 2 behind him. Improve Durdin, Owies etc if Motlop ever gets fit again and they look much much more dynamic.
Carlton really missed out by letting Stengle get away from them in 2021, everyone could see they needed a small forward given Betts had just retired.
Not only that but Betts has been a mentor to Stengle so real missed opportunity for Carlton right there.

Carlton really missed out by letting Stengle get away from them in 2021, everyone could see they needed a small forward given Betts had just retired.
Not only that but Betts has been a mentor to Stengle so real missed opportunity for Carlton right there.
Stengle would've got them to a prelim in 2022 and probably had them as a genuine premiership contender since. They could even do with a player like Close.

Imagine those two and Miers joining the Blues. They'd be putting up 140 points every week.

Motlop, Fogarty and JSOS are still to come back, though.

Injuries not even to the top 3 - 5 players. Good honest role players being glorified better than they are
Not like we weren't missing players either. We were missing McCartin and Mills which negate Cerra and losing Weitering. Sam Reid is arguably our best KPF as well.

Only have to look at the fact that Luke Parker can't get back into the side at the minute despite being fit and available. Tells me we have pretty strong depth in our squad that Carlton don't have.

We are poorly coached and one dimensional.

Midfield is all about plodder like pace. Zero run and carry without Saad in the team.

When your apparent star Charlie Curnow just jogs around the ground never applying any pressure to his opponent and just looking to wrestle with his opponents every contest rather than work hard to provide leads and the coaches let him do it. That says it all about the culture.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stengles had off field issues that Geelong have worked on and have made him the player he is today. Can't say Carlton would have gotten the same result.

Stengles had off field issues that Geelong have worked on and have made him the player he is today. Can't say Carlton would have gotten the same result.
Stengle turned it around largely thanks to Betts taking him under his wing and mentoring him.
Stengle would have had Betts as his mentor regardless of which club picked him up.

Stengle turned it around largely thanks to Betts taking him under his wing and mentoring him.
Stengle would have had Betts as his mentor regardless of which club picked him up.
So, Betts didn't work for Geelong, then? strange, really thought he did and when employed by a organisation to improve their forward line. you would think Geelong wouldn't be too happy if their employee was making another player from another club better but hey clearly you know more than the rest of us so I have no choice but to believe you.

St Kilda and Paddy Dow have entered the chat
Where to for Carlton if St Kilda poach Weitering?
There's a good chance he'll take the $1.5m per year offer as he really needs the cash, and I can't see Carlton matching it as that's not what clubs do under Brian Cook.

There's a good chance he'll take the $1.5m per year offer as he really needs the cash, and I can't see Carlton matching it as that's not what clubs do under Brian Cook.
Did a Nigerian Prince present the offer to Jacob?

Why would he 'need the cash'. He would still be on good money say 750-1M if he stays at Carlton. And being a one club player, possible premiership player opens up alot of opportunities post footy life.

Why would he 'need the cash'. He would still be on good money say 750-1M if he stays at Carlton. And being a one club player, possible premiership player opens up alot of opportunities post footy life.
Weitering lost all his savings last year to a bank scam, hence needing the cash.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back