Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would a Barassi era player know much about SOS as a person? I mean, unless they were employed by the club when SOS was a player or an employee, he'd only catch up with him when he attended reunions and SOS went along with Serge.

How did he throw MLG under the bus exactly? MLG tells him that Liddle thinks SOS will sabotage the draft and trade period. Was it supposed to be a secret?
The sabotage the draft comment was easily the most inflammatory made today, if it is true. Commentor, Liddle or whomever, undermined SOS’s integrity significantly.

I support the great work Cain Liddle has done. Could have handled the exit better, minor blemish on an overwhelming positive record.

Also, SOS complaining that the Media Release put unnecessary pressure on his boys then goes and does this, what the heck do you think this will do for JSOS? Give me a break SOS.
Shows his sons that he has the strength of his convictions. Great role modelling. If that means JSOS sees his playing future elsewhere based on the strength of his convictions, I wish him well. Hopefully he stays...

Because they're mates by all accounts. Aren't they?

But why would you think that MLG didn't expect SOS to repeat that to anyone? Did Liddle ask MLG not to tell SOS? Seems a little shady.

I support the great work Cain Liddle has done. Could have handled the exit better, minor blemish on an overwhelming positive record.

Also, SOS complaining that the Media Release put unnecessary pressure on his boys then goes and does this, what the heck do you think this will do for JSOS? Give me a break SOS.

How does this put any extra pressure on Jack? Any ill will has had nearly a year to present itself.

How does this put any extra pressure on Jack? Any ill will has had nearly a year to present itself.

This issue was dead until this morning. It will now be a focus over Summer and into 2021. There will be questions and focus on JSOS such as; Why hasnt he re-signed, is it Liddle? Why is he out of form, is it because of the split with his Dad? etc.... The constant talk on JSOS is unnecessary for a young player and his Dad has kicked started the conversation.

He didn't say there was no consultation.

In fact he said he told list management he 'didn't think it was fair' to pay Betts more, but his decision was 'overruled'.

That suggests there was a discussion, he just wasn't happy with the outcome.

“We all agreed that Eddie Betts should come to the Carlton Football Club. We all agreed on that, but it was at a price in terms of what the deal looked like and what his deal looked like,” Silvagni told SEN Breakfast.

“When someone above decides to change those rules, the reason you get a little bit annoyed and frustrated at times, is when we went into the Carlton Football Club and it wasn’t just myself it was Andy McKay and Steven Trigg … our list wasn’t in a good state and neither was our salary cap.

“You work really hard to get your salary cap and TPP into a position that you can look after the players now and you can look after players in the future, but when certain people start splashing money out after we all agree what that payment should look like and particularly as a list manager, when you’ve got to look after other players and other managers, and you’ve got a 17-year player sitting there who you’ve actually just done a deal with and you look eye to eye with them and say ‘this is all we can pay you’ and he’s been very loyal to his club, and I’m talking Carlton, and then another player comes in (Betts) that you’re bringing back and then you want to pay that player more than the player that has been sitting at your club, I don’t find that fair.

“We all have a responsibility to make sure the players that are loyal to the club are looked after and when you have players at clubs overrule your decisions that you’ve worked so hard for, and because they want memberships to look great or they want the accolade that they’re bringing someone back, is their intention the right intention for the Carlton Football Club and I don’t think it was.

“100% (it was a decision by Cain Liddle to go over my head).”

If CEO’s treatment of 2nd and third gen CFC players, upon whom the club publicly identified with culturally, is but a minor blemish, then surely today’s media performance is not even worthy of mention.

I find it quite funny!

I told you all this stuff 4 months ago, (go back through my post history and listen to what sos said today) almost verbatim.

The other thing I told you 2 months ago was GWS considering matching. I couldn't let slip about JC because it would have given me away.

I got abused by 70% of you.

Makes me reticent to share info, I'm sure others feel the same way

This issue was dead until this morning. It will now be a focus over Summer and into 2021. There will be questions and focus on JSOS such as; Why hasnt he re-signed, is it Liddle? Why is he out of form, is it because of the split with his Dad? etc.... The constant talk on JSOS is unnecessary for a young player and his Dad has kicked started the conversation.

The club kickstarted the conversation 12 months ago. In case you haven't been listening, there have been talks about Jack weighing up another offer elsewhere for the past month. The only way Jack is under more pressure than he already was is if Liddle gets upset and tries to get rid of him.

He could have arguably done that same “great work” in the capacity of membership sales exec. It’s his niche. Brilliant membership sales guy.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find it quite funny!

I told you all this stuff 4 months ago, (go back through my post history and listen to what sos said today) almost verbatim.

The other thing I told you 2 months ago was GWS considering matching. I couldn't let slip about JC because it would have given me away.

I got abused by 70% of you.

Makes me reticent to share info, I'm sure others feel the same way

Hi Thrall - when you say about GWS considering matching, are you referring to Williams?

Very selfish by Stephen Michael Silvagni.

It goes back to the start of last year.

When Bolton wouldn't play Jack early in the season and was playing Polson or Gibbons ahead of him. I think maybe Polson.

SOS was fuming and I believe he made it known. Bolton had the support of Liddle. The relationship between SOS & Bolts was frosty, as witnessed on draft night.

While there was probably more happening prior to that as SOS is known to be arrogant and not well liked by former players (and people had a go at me when I said that), it really ramped up when Liddle backed Bolts I believe.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Bolton's coaching last year was a disaster. He only lasted half way through the season, and was gone well before draft night.

If CEO’s treatment of 2nd and third gen CFC players, upon whom the club publicly identified with culturally, is but a minor blemish, then surely today’s media performance is not even worthy of mention.

Good point. Apparently the way Silvagni's sacking was handled was a minor blemish, but Silvagni talking about it is self serving and club destroying.

It's a perfect score in mental gymnastics.

Also SOS hypocritical af in terms of Saad valuation. He is essentially the same ******* player from a few years ago when you weren't willing to shell out a slightly above average AFL salary and 2nd round pick??? C'mon man, lol.

How do we know what SOS offered last time in terms of salary? How do we know how he rated him then vs how much we needed him vs how much he rates him now after his Essendon stint.

A lot of speculation happening here.

Out of form? He was injured all year.
Why hasn't he re-signed? He's still contracted.

You're incredibly ignorant. So much so that it seems your username is misleading.

How do we know what SOS offered last time in terms of salary? How do we know how he rated him then vs how much we needed him vs how much he rates him now after his Essendon stint.

You call it speculation, that's polite terminology.

The monetary valuation and SOS not being willing to match Dodoro's offer is from what I have heard from reasonably close sources to Adam in the inner Coburg/Brunswick Lebanese community.

As for the question of changing how much he rates him, Saad has developed as a player, yes, but nothing beyond that which would be expected for a mature age player having additional years in the system and reaching prime age.

Nothing drastic happened, he was always a good player, and we didn't come to the party under SOS, which is fine.

Just not sure how SOS going on air and essentially parroting Dodoro rhetoric helps the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back