Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
HERALD SUN - Rating Every Team's Midfield

Surely they've ranked us a bit too low
11th - CARLTON

The Top liners: Patrick Cripps, Sam Walsh, Zac Williams, Marc Murphy, Will Setterfield, Ed Curnow

The top-ups: Paddy Dow, Lochie O’Brien, Matthew Cottrell, Matthew Kennedy, Brodie Kemp, Liam Stocker, Sam Philp, David Cuningham

McGuane says: They are a club that is hugely reliant on Patrick Cripps, and they identified that this year when they gave Sam Walsh more on-ball minutes rather than playing him in his regular wing role. Walsh gets from contest to contest as his running ability is elite. Cripps is an inside bull who wins first possession at stoppages. The Blues are too reliant on him. Cripps also thinks he is the one that has to do it all, but it’s time that he shares the load with the next batch of evolving midfielders.

Paddy Dow was injured this year. So he needs another opportunity to see if he can cut the mustard. Does he kick the ball well enough to become an elite mid? Is he mentally scarred and lost confidence? Time will tell. Will Setterfield elevated his game in 2020. Zac Williams has been recruited from GWS and I’d use him as a midfielder. Marc Murphy is an experienced midfielder that can still accumulate possession. Ed Curnow needs to play on the opposition’s best midfielder. When he does that it gives them a really good balance between offence and defence in their midfield group. Matthew Kennedy is probably the one under the pump, he loves the contest but does he have the speed in his legs for the modern game?

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...8/news-story/c44f415bc4c62ced5c2eecf6e13e20e4

Last edited:
11th - CARLTON

The Top liners: Patrick Cripps, Sam Walsh, Zac Williams, Marc Murphy, Will Setterfield, Ed Curnow

The top-ups: Paddy Dow, Lochie O’Brien, Matthew Cottrell, Matthew Kennedy, Brodie Kemp, Liam Stocker, Sam Philp, David Cuningham

McGuane says: They are a club that is hugely reliant on Patrick Cripps, and they identified that this year when they gave Sam Walsh more on-ball minutes rather than playing him in his regular wing role. Walsh gets from contest to contest as his running ability is elite. Cripps is an inside bull who wins first possession at stoppages. The Blues are too reliant on him. Cripps also thinks he is the one that has to do it all, but it’s time that he shares the load with the next batch of evolving midfielders. Paddy Dow was injured this year. So he needs another opportunity to see if he can cut the mustard. Does he kick the ball well enough to become an elite mid? Is he mentally scarred and lost confidence? Time will tell. Will Setterfield elevated his game in 2020. Zac Williams has been recruited from GWS and I’d use him as a midfielder. Marc Murphy is an experienced midfielder that can still accumulate possession. Ed Curnow needs to play on the opposition’s best midfielder. When he does that it gives them a really good balance between offence and defence in their midfield group. Matthew Kennedy is probably the one under the pump, he loves the contest but does he have the speed in his legs for the modern game?

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...8/news-story/c44f415bc4c62ced5c2eecf6e13e20e4

So that's the 11th best midfield?

I think it's a lot more effective than that, but it's true we have so many to prove so much.

I think it's a lot more effective than that, but it's true we have so many to prove so much.

the dynamic at the stoppages will look different next year ... especially around the ground.

I think that's the point. By the end of the year it will probably be better than 11th, but there's so much unknown at the moment.

Will Dow step up? Will Setters go up another level, as expected? Will Williams actually be a good fit in our midfield? Will Walsh play more on-ball or wing like he did this season? Will Cripps return to 2019 form?

You'd think the answer to most of those is yes, but you can't be assured of it. If most turn out yes we won't be 11th by the end of the year.

the dynamic at the stoppages will look different next year ... especially around the ground.

It has to, doesn't it?

Let Cripps be Cripps, because he can't be something else, but let's put more weight on Setterfield's shoulders. I think he's up to the challenge.
Walsh and ECurnow are who they are and that's perfectly fine.
Williams still has to show us how effective he'll be playing alongside Cripps. It should be good, but we just haven't seen it yet.

Setterfield was my 'wildcard' last year and I feel he showed enough via the pre-season and then games, to suggest he's a keeper.
It's Stocker though who surprised me just as much last year via the stoppage drills. He was an absolute bull and performed on a level not too far away from Cripps...and it was only the pe-season...but it was there.

It's all about Kemp right now, but I really want to see a fully-focused Stocker come about next year, as much as anything.

It has to, doesn't it?

Let Cripps be Cripps, because he can't be something else, but let's put more weight on Setterfield's shoulders. I think he's up to the challenge.
Walsh and ECurnow are who they are and that's perfectly fine.
Williams still has to show us how effective he'll be playing alongside Cripps. It should be good, but we just haven't seen it yet.

Setterfield was my 'wildcard' last year and I feel he showed enough via the pre-season and then games, to suggest he's a keeper.
It's Stocker though who surprised me just as much last year via the stoppage drills. He was an absolute bull and performed on a level not too far away from Cripps...and it was only the pe-season...but it was there.

It's all about Kemp right now, but I really want to see a fully-focused Stocker come about next year, as much as anything.
Yep, Stocker and Kemp are the keys to our midfield becoming elite, they have the size and skills to complement what we already have. Need to move past Ed and Murphy at some stage during this season.

Cameo visits from Martin, Fisher, SPS to compliment Cripps, Setterfield, Williams, Walsh, Kemp, Stocker and Dow and we are close to a balanced and strong group with plenty of years left in them to wreak havoc on the competition.

The only downside is most are still very much unproven at the top level.

HERALD SUN - Rating Every Team's Midfield

Surely they've ranked us a bit too low

They rated our defense 12th I think.
Jones and Weitering are ranked top 5-10 in most key stats for a KPD. Docherty is an AA quality HBF who was nearly back to his best after 2 years off the park. Newman has proven to be a solid contributor. The addition of Saad makes us better defensively against smalls and more attacking from the backline at the same time. Then you've got Plowman who, although much maligned, is a rock. And then there's SPS, Williamson and Marchbank to round it out.
I know we like to overrate our own at times, but I'm sorry, that's a top 8 backline.

They rated our defense 12th I think.
Jones and Weitering are ranked top 5-10 in most key stats for a KPD. Docherty is an AA quality HBF who was nearly back to his best after 2 years off the park. Newman has proven to be a solid contributor. The addition of Saad makes us better defensively against smalls and more attacking from the backline at the same time. Then you've got Plowman who, although much maligned, is a rock. And then there's SPS, Williamson and Marchbank to round it out.
I know we like to overrate our own at times, but I'm sorry, that's a top 8 backline.

12. Carlton
The top liners: Jacob Weitering (17, 75), Sam Petreski-Seton (16, 75), Liam Jones (17, 72), Lachie Plowman (16, 66), Sam Docherty (16, 92), Tom Williamson (15, 58), Nic Newman (2, 24), Zac Williams (11, 85), Adam Saad (17, 98)

The top-ups: Liam Stocker (0,0), Caleb Marchbank (0,0)

McGuane says: Jacob Weitering was outstanding this year and there was an argument he could have been an All-Australian. Liam Jones is an aggressive defender who is willing to leave his post to help out a mate. Does he always get that right? No, he doesn’t, but he has the right intent when he does it. Sam Docherty will be better served next year as he needed the run this year. It was important to get his confidence back from the mental and physical scarring due to the two knee reconstructions he’s had to endure. David Teague would be reasonably pleased the way the defenders held up this year. There is a breakdown between ball-use and decision making, so this aspect of their game must improve. It’s impossible to defend D50 turnovers. It will be interesting to see what they do with Sam Petreski-Seaton now that Adam Saad and Zac Williams have both arrived at the club. Saad is a fantastic recruit. He will provide them the energy, bounce, run and risk-taking they were lacking.

It's a pretty odd article all round. Justifies rating Melbourne 8th by moving half their team to the backline. Have the dogs above us who only have one KPD and often seem to leave Caleb Daniel one out in the goal square against the opposition full forward.

9. Carlton
The top liners: Harry McKay (13, 59), Jack Martin (15, 83), Eddie Betts (15, 58), Charlie Curnow (0,0), Zac Fisher (8, 74), David Cuningham (12, 63), Levi Casboult (17, 65), Michael Gibbons (15, 75), Jack Newnes (17, 75), Mitch McGovern (12, 53), Lachie Fogarty (6, 66)

The top-ups: Jack Silvagni (3, 35), Sam Philip (2, 45), Josh Honey (1, 16), Matthew Owies (1, 15)

McGuane says: The Blues are an emerging group of forwards who haven’t played a lot of footy together. They didn’t have their best forward at all this year in Charlie Curnow. Hopefully they can get him right in 2021. Harry McKay took some positive steps as a big forward. His mobility and speed is an asset. Levi Casboult provided great support. Mitch McGovern has been a disappointment and has not lived up to expectations since he was recruited from Adelaide. He just needs to get fit and must be challenged and coached strongly by David Teague. Carlton fans are expecting more from him.

Jack Martin’s first year at the club was a positive one. He can play as a conduit between defence and attack. Zac Fisher is busy and creative.

May as well round these articles out. Mick has the forwardline as the relatively strongest area for Carlton...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd agree with that, you know the reason why it might seem like it wouldn't be?

How many times did it get bombed in this year into the F50, absolutely hilarious amount of times, lots and lots of missed opportunities, have 0 problem getting the ball there a lot of the time, its what happens after is the problem.

Players kicking to player surrounded by 3 defenders when other player is free etc, no forward really leading aside from Mckay and even then.

It then hurts us badly as we do the long bombs in, they react quickly and spring off half-back and catch us off guard, happened over and over and over again.
Easily top 3 sources of goals kicked against us.

You fix that method of delivery and get more experience in Harry etc, watch out, all the building blocks are there.

For me it would be as our strongest to weakest:

Forward : As above.
Defense : Pretty good, top 8 defense imo, Saad will be a big help and get more games into Williamson etc, gets flak due to flaky midfield not assisting.
Midfield : Still flaky, really need Dow etc to step up, hopefully Williams and soon to be Kemp/Stocker make a difference, Cripps losing that weight and wanting to run more, will be interesting to see.

I'd agree with that, you know the reason why it might seem like it wouldn't be?

How many times did it get bombed in this year into the F50, absolutely hilarious amount of times, lots and lots of missed opportunities, have 0 problem getting the ball there a lot of the time, its what happens after is the problem.

Players kicking to player surrounded by 3 defenders when other player is free etc, no forward really leading aside from Mckay and even then.

It then hurts us badly as we do the long bombs in, they react quickly and spring off half-back and catch us off guard, happened over and over and over again.
Easily top 3 sources of goals kicked against us.

You fix that method of delivery and get more experience in Harry etc, watch out, all the building blocks are there.

For me it would be as our strongest to weakest:

Forward : As above.
Defense : Pretty good, top 8 defense imo, Saad will be a big help and get more games into Williamson etc, gets flak due to flaky midfield not assisting.
Midfield : Still flaky, really need Dow etc to step up, hopefully Williams and soon to be Kemp/Stocker make a difference, Cripps losing that weight and wanting to run more, will be interesting to see.

Carlton ranked 8th in total inside fifties for 2020 (we got it in there enough). We ranked 4th for marks taken from I50 entries (our forwards can mark the pill). Yet were only the 10th ranked side for goals scored from those marks. This would suggest one of two things, either our forwards are hugely wasteful, OR the I50 were to a disadvantageous position for our forwards. (This is the conundrum).

A little bit of column A, a little of column B.

I would rank our backline highest. Both midfield and FWD line have so much potential, but need to put it together.
Personally, I'd say backline 6th, midfield 9th, forwards 12th. With the biggest potential for improvement from the forward line.
But that's just me.

Staggering SPS not in the top-ups, surely more midfield minutes for him with Saad also across hb. The emergence of SPS gets us to into the top 8 midfields IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back