Preview Carlton v Brisbane Lions Round 8 (Friday 5 May 7:50PM @Marvel)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we’re still talking about Sharp then it’s not just that he can run fast, he’s won every long distance time trial since he’s been at the club and by pretty significant margins. If he didn’t have the tank he has he would’ve struggled to get drafted in the first place, it’s his number one strength by far imo.
Having a huge tank is being able to keep absorbing punishment and keep going at a reasonably high level.

Running fast either sprinting or over 5k or whatever is being able to run.

It doesn't mean you can play footy ,win the ball ,stop your opponent winning the ball or whatever else.

I'm genuinely surprised because someone is a brilliant runner anyone thinks that necessarily means you have the tank to keep going in a game of footy.

Of course it helps if you can do the essentials well.

He comes from a middle distance background.

During preseason, we sat there watching the players do repeat 400’s.

Harry was on the front setting a 1 minute lap pace.

Each lap. He paced at 1 minute. Not even Berry or Clugga could stay with him by the third lap. By the 5th lap it was getting ridiculous.
We know he's just about an Olympic level runner.

It doesn't mean you have the tank to compete at a high level with AFL level football players ,playing football.

I think if we played him on someone like Saad he get carved up. Even though he's a lot quicker than Saad ,who's fairly quick by AFL standards.

It doesn't mean you have the tank to compete at a high level with AFL level football players ,playing football.

I think if we played him on someone like Saad he get carved up. Even though he's a lot quicker than Saad ,who's fairly quick by AFL standards.
I never mentioned Harry playing on Saad.

I did mention Answerth playing on Saad.

The thread has been an interesting read tonight - love the references to ‘panic merchant’ ‘gibberesh’ and ‘big tank”. Shall be an interesting match. Hopefully I can watch the goals coming through when the lions are kicking towards the Coventry end up on level 3 behind the goals in the lions area.

People don’t think we owe anyone a spot, Dev has earned it more than most. He’s quicker than 80% of the list and outside of Dunkley is probably one of our better defensive mids when he gets to play there. I think he and Answerth have similar styles but I think Dev has been unlucky with the opportunities we’ve given him.
If he was such a good defensive midfielder he would be playing. 80% ? Really, have never once thought in a game that he was quick. There is no conspiracy against him- apparently we have to play him so he doesn’t leave, that is crap. He should play to a level that we can’t leave him out, if that was the case and he wasn’t playing then it gives some weight to this Dev is hard done by narrative.

Riewoldt thought that Jackson Paine will play on Curnow. The host thought that the lights went off in the Collingwood game. Then some rubbish that Charlie Cameron would be a better appreciated player if he played for a Melbourne club. That's when I turned it off on Kayo.
Jackson Riewoldt should learn Jack Paine’s name. What a muppet!

I just watched the argument and I feel like you’re being a bit disingenuous to what was actually said throughout it.

1. Payne will actually play on Curnow and Fagan mentioned it earlier this week as well so it’s not exactly far fetched. If this is more about the Jackson part then it makes sense but Jack most likely nailed how we would play Curnow and McKay.

2. Honestly both the Melbourne and Collingwood games felt really similar in the trajectory of the game and if was an off handed comment made to Howe who was also funnily enough a former Melbourne player. It did get corrected basically straight after.

3. Jack said that Charlie often is under appreciated due to not being in the Victorian spotlight. It wasn’t said in a ‘Brisbane don’t appreciate him like a Melbourne club would’ but more like ‘the media in Melbourne don’t appreciate him as much as they should’. Was also mentioned that he is overshadowed by Jeremy and Curnow because they actually play in a Victorian based side (while also playing extremely well). It was actually an admission of the current biases in the media and making an adjusted statement based on the fact that he himself would be influenced by them.

Finally, both Jack and Howe tipped Carlton but let’s be real there’s reasonable explanation for that. Both thought it would be a close game though.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

No, I don't think so. (1) Yes, it was the Jackson part (Dom Fay's pet subject at the moment LOL). (2) I am in the over 50s clique and I still remembered that it was the Melbourne game. (3) I concede that I could have explained my self better. Always a backhand compliment.

The thread has been an interesting read tonight - love the references to ‘panic merchant’ ‘gibberesh’ and ‘big tank”. Shall be an interesting match. Hopefully I can watch the goals coming through when the lions are kicking towards the Coventry end up on level 3 behind the goals in the lions area.
Enjoy! I hope that the Lions get a win in a relatively close game. There is nothing better than winning games like this, especially when you're at the ground.

I doubt Sharp is quicker than Saad same as he is not as quick as Charlie.
But Sharp can run all day similar to Blicavs.
I think you just have a different interpretation of what is generally considered as "a good tank" in AFL.

If we’re still talking about Sharp then it’s not just that he can run fast, he’s won every long distance time trial since he’s been at the club and by pretty significant margins. If he didn’t have the tank he has he would’ve struggled to get drafted in the first place, it’s his number one strength by far imo.
Yep. Harry Sharp is super quick and can run all day. It’s just that he’s not very good at touching the football. In his seven game career (unused sub once) his disposal numbers are 11, 4, 3, 5, 7 and 10 disposals. Selecting Sharp for the Carlton game is one of Fagan’s biggest brain farts.

just a note, in the 2021 season Dev cracked the top 3 for highest speed by a Lion (behind Starc and Cameron) (though I dunno how reliable the speed is with those shonky GPS)

interestingly, in 2021 Starc also came 3rd in most distance traveled per game on avg.. :)

anyway, looking forward to this match. I'll miss out on the first quarter so hoping I turn on the tv to see BL - 34, CARL - 9

hope the inclusions play well

They were my 2 least preferred out of 8 players.

But what would I know.

I knew Answerth would be playing no matter what. Sharp hasn't done near enough on anything I've seen but he's definitely bigger and better than he was last year.
I'm a bit gutted with the selections this week if I'm being honest. Would have had the likes of Dev, Jaxon, Cal, JL, Rhys then Noah and wouldnt have had Sharp anywhere near it. I see a bit of reserves live and watch all YouTube games, but I still dont see it with Sharp whatsover. Cant say I've ever been impressed in seeing him in the reserves, no less in the ones.

I ve always loved Eastbound & Down and whenever I think about Harry Sharp, always think of this quote by the great man

1683208568042.png

Anyway, lets hope we win b/c this feels like it could be a game lost at the selection table and lets not pretend it hasn't happened before under Fages.

Why does everyone think we owe senior games to Dev Robbo- what has he done that makes him this walk up start. He has played a couple of reasonable games, he is not quick, does not have outstanding skills and is OK defensively. I like him on the list but if he was to leave it was because he was not good enough to hold a permanent spot- so be it, not like we giving away a future star. He is unlucky we got Dunks and Will in one pre season but it is what it is.
Seriously, what has Sharp EVER done? Ill even allow you to name a game in the reserves if it helps.

Blues will win this unfortunately.

If the boys from the Roar Deal read this, just heard that dimwit Jack Riewoldt call Payne 'Jackson Payne' ugh...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is very little they've got wrong this year and have developed and learned a lot as a coaching group.
I think that is a massive over-statement.

Round 1 and 3 spring to mind as does the lapses against Melbourne which almost cost us and many of the lapses against GWS - or is all of that on the players and nothing to do with the coaches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back