Preview Carlton v Brisbane Lions Round 8 (Friday 5 May 7:50PM @Marvel)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never been a wrap for Dev on anything I've seen but he does give it a red hot crack and can play a role on occasions.

Just my view but Ah Chee is a long way better than the other contenders for the last few spots.

I shudder most times Noah gets hold of the ball.

I wouldn't have gone Noah either but equally I have no idea how he'll go in a forward/mid role. He does apply a lot of pressure though and can win contested footy so I'll back the coaches in and hope he plays his role.

I wouldn't have gone Noah either but equally I have no idea how he'll go in a forward/mid role. He does apply a lot of pressure though and can win contested footy so I'll back the coaches in and hope he plays his role.
I think I know exactly how he'll go.

If we play well and get control of the game he'll do many good things and we'll praise the move as a masterstroke.

If he coughs it up a couple of times and we get done it'll be the fault of the selectors.

The odds are better than evens that the first scenario plays out.

I'm on record as not being a great fan of Noz. I appreciate he cracks in and has a good tank, but never liked him down back or on a wing. However, watching him play in the guts in the twos has started to turn me around a bit. Can win the hard ball and might help out Neale, Dunkley et al distribute the ball a bit better. His defensive side is also a string - seems not too long ago some with bemoaning the lack of role players in the team.

As for Sharp, I'm still not seeing it, but acknowledge that there are things that you can't really see on TV.

There is very little they've got wrong this year and have developed and learned a lot as a coaching group.
I was talking coaches in general . We've been doing what we've always done. Brought in good players through acquisition and made it very difficult for anyone not annointed to get into the team and hold a spot.

That's our modus operandi.

Not saying it doesn't work ,but that's how we operate.

Putting the selections aside we should be winning this game . It's a pivotal game for us at this point of the season.

There's no such thing as an unimportant game, but yeah agree.

The home games against Essendon & the Suns are far from Gimmes, but you think in terms of games that we need to win to get a little separation at the top of the ladder, then it's this week against Carlton & the away game to the Crows.

There's no such thing as an unimportant game, but yeah agree.

The home games against Essendon & the Suns are far from Gimmes, but you think in terms of games that we need to win to get a little separation at the top of the ladder, then it's this week against Carlton & the away game to the Crows.
This is an important game for us. Against good opposition in Melbourne at the stage of the season where the good teams start to kick away from from the rest.

I'll be very disappointed if we don't win this. Carlton can hurt you if things go their way but they're only an 8 or 9 on the ladder level team

I was talking coaches in general . We've been doing what we've always done. Brought in good players through acquisition and made it very difficult for anyone not annointed to get into the team and hold a spot.

That's our modus operandi.

Not saying it doesn't work ,but that's how we operate.

It sounds like you're talking about the vast majority of good teams.

I'd say we've made a pretty big change this year in not playing Lyons. Equally, the likes of Ah Chee and Dev aren't best 22 despite being so in finals.

We've made changes, but like all winning teams they're calculated strategic changes and not wholesale like many in Big Footy ask for.

Zorko and Rich were always going to go down at some stage this season, the same as what happened last year. If the firsts cant handle a couple of injuries with a deep squad then we were never going to make it this year anyway.

A lot of fans will jump up and down about selection if things go wrong tomorrow night but even if that happens I'll give the selectors a pass because it is better to know what we have now, and what works and what doesn't, than to find out deeper into the season.

Still think we'll knock them over comfortably.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It sounds like you're talking about the vast majority of good teams.

I'd say we've made a pretty big change this year in not playing Lyons. Equally, the likes of Ah Chee and Dev aren't best 22 despite being so in finals.

We've made changes, but like all winning teams they're calculated strategic changes and not wholesale like many in Big Footy ask for.
I don't think I've ever asked for wholesale changes.

Every man and his dog knew Lyons was done last year. We really stuffed that up. Don't know anyone who seriously wanted him in this year unless we saw a significant improvement.

I don't think we're particularly smart when we need to bring someone in to cover ,like this week.

It's not that hard when you have 18 really good players who are automatic selections. You and I could pick the team each week. The last couple of weeks when we've had to make changes have me a bit bamboozled tbh. About the same as when we threw Tunstill ,CEJ , Sharp in his first stint and a few others I can't be bothered rehashing.

Reiwoldt n Jeremy Howe have both picked Carlton to beat us on foxtel....omg will they be disappointed
Riewoldt thought that Jackson Paine will play on Curnow. The host thought that the lights went off in the Collingwood game. Then some rubbish that Charlie Cameron would be a better appreciated player if he played for a Melbourne club. That's when I turned it off on Kayo.

Riewoldt thought that Jackson Paine will play on Curnow. The host thought that the lights went off in the Collingwood game. Then some rubbish that Charlie Cameron would be a better appreciated player if he played for a Melbourne club. That's when I turned it off on Kayo.
We really have to win a flag before we get the love we deserve in the Melbourne media.

How long has it been since Jackson Paine played for us?

I'm on record as not being a great fan of Noz. I appreciate he cracks in and has a good tank, but never liked him down back or on a wing. However, watching him play in the guts in the twos has started to turn me around a bit. Can win the hard ball and might help out Neale, Dunkley et al distribute the ball a bit better. His defensive side is also a string - seems not too long ago some with bemoaning the lack of role players in the team.

As for Sharp, I'm still not seeing it, but acknowledge that there are things that you can't really see on TV.
So looking at the side named are we assuming:

Sharp playing wing.

Answerth forward and mid?

Meaning someone needs to go back - Wilmot?

You’d assume Berry gets some more CBAs? Clugga / Bailey to be the other main wings?

I don’t mind the selection.
Answerth to replace Zorko and his pressure up forward and a bit through the middle. Perfect bloke on the list to offer something similar.
And Wilmot back to defence in replace of Rich, so a bit more speed back there which is good and Sharpy to replace Wilmot on the wing, relatively green but had a ripper pre-season and played a lot of time in the 1’s during pre-season games.
That’s how I read it, when I saw the team changes.

Personally not a fan of the ins, particularly Sharp, but I believe I understand what Fagan is going for.

SELECTION: THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY.

The Good.

Lester was selected

The Bad
Yep, Prior and Robertson won’t stick around. Answerth is a pet, so he was always going to be selected, but watch how many times he gets caught with the ball tomorrow night and how many times he butchers it. Then there is Harry Sharp. Seriously?

The Ugly
Gunston, who makes ZERO defensive contribution to our forward line being selected ahead of Darcy Fort. Gunston doesn’t run, chase or tackle and the goals he kicks, like the goal against Fremantle are usually cheapies.

This is spoken like someone that didn’t watch Gunston play much at Hawthorn. He’s a great smart leading forward, and was honestly one of the best kicks around.

No idea what’s gotten into him since he’s been up here, but you have to back him in to find form for a bit.

Blues fav with the bookies on the back of beating West Coast......go figure.
This year it's been like taking candy from a baby betting on the footy

And because of the compressed odds you can actually get on . Racing is now done as a betting medium.

Our right odds are around 1.60 in this game.

This is spoken like someone that didn’t watch Gunston play much at Hawthorn. He’s a great smart leading forward, and was honestly one of the best kicks around.

No idea what’s gotten into him since he’s been up here, but you have to back him in to find form for a bit.
Maybe he's getting on a bit. Enjoying the sunshine in Queensland.

It can happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back