Preview Carlton v Brisbane Lions Round 8 (Friday 5 May 7:50PM @Marvel)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Farewell Jaxon and Dev😢
SELECTION: THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY.

The Good.

Lester was selected

The Bad
Yep, Prior and Robertson won’t stick around. Answerth is a pet, so he was always going to be selected, but watch how many times he gets caught with the ball tomorrow night and how many times he butchers it. Then there is Harry Sharp. Seriously?

The Ugly
Gunston, who makes ZERO defensive contribution to our forward line being selected ahead of Darcy Fort. Gunston doesn’t run, chase or tackle and the goals he kicks, like the goal against Fremantle are usually cheapies.

I certainly havent had Answerth as a tackling machine, but he is happy to stand in front of a pack. I've personally written him off a bit but looking forward to see him in a role that maybe has a little less pressure (assuming he plays forward of the ball), so allows his disposal to improve just a touch.

I've all been harping on for us to get a McIntosh type from the Tigers in, and Answerth is probably the no1 player like that on the list.

Sharp has definitely come from left field, noone was really reporting him doing that good on the wing in the ressies but in he comes. If as was mentioned Wilmot goes back and Sharp comes in, I don't mind it. Fages defs seem Sharp as a better long term weapon, he played him early, and with Berry basically moving to inside mid we need a winger anyways.

It's also always possible they move Answerth back, leave Wilmot mid, move Berry inside and McCluggage into zorkos fwd/mid role. That means we need another wing so Sharp probably is first in that pecking order.

It's going to be interesting to see how we line up.

I don't see how Sharp is a preferred inclusion over any of Prior, Dev, Ah Chee, Lyons or even Mathieson/Cockatoo at this point based on reserves form but anyway... Hopefully he plays well and proves me wrong.

Purely speculation on my part, but wonder if the reasoning is:

• We need a bigger body to nullify Cripps (Berry)
  • Hollands and Acres have been covering a huge amount of ground so far this season (not bad for a first year player) - we need to try and match that run (Sharp)
  • With Rich out, we want to keep Wilmot up-field too (Answerth)
I suspect these selections are a bit more about horses for courses than "next best" player.

I personally expected Joyce to come back in, but if we win in the midfield, it won't matter I guess.

I don’t mind the selection.
Answerth to replace Zorko and his pressure up forward and a bit through the middle. Perfect bloke on the list to offer something similar.
And Wilmot back to defence in replace of Rich, so a bit more speed back there which is good and Sharpy to replace Wilmot on the wing, relatively green but had a ripper pre-season and played a lot of time in the 1’s during pre-season games.

The Sharp selection is at least better than the rumored Fletcher debut.
Sharp could have been training the house down over the past month and playing solid footy in the VFL.
Selections are not always about VFL form.
The selection from the outside looks a little strange but we need to back the clubs opinion. We can always vent after the game.

Out: Rich
Answerth looks like that is where he will play.
Others that can play defense being Wilmot & Rayner.

Out Zorko
Sharp i imaging mainly forward with some wing time.
He has not impressed me playing wing at AFL level to date. A year older now so we get to see him again at AFL level.
I think he is playing mostly forward in the VFL but hard to tell watching on the TV when not specifically looking at CBA's.
Mr Ripper and other VFL game regulars will know.

I don't think Berry will go inside mid but is possible at some stage.
Would rather Wilmot go back to defense and run Answerth with Cripps/Cerra/Hewett.

With the Sharp selection i see Ah Chee as sub in case things go sideways.

Why does everyone think we owe senior games to Dev Robbo- what has he done that makes him this walk up start. He has played a couple of reasonable games, he is not quick, does not have outstanding skills and is OK defensively. I like him on the list but if he was to leave it was because he was not good enough to hold a permanent spot- so be it, not like we giving away a future star. He is unlucky we got Dunks and Will in one pre season but it is what it is.

I mean I can sort of understand the logic just nowhere near what I would select from my observation (but I'm not a coach).

I do really rate Answerths aghression and pressure. Its something the team has lacked at times in the past. But even when he came on last week he turned it over and gave away unnecessary free kick. I just don't rate his ball use or decision making. To me he is probably one of the worst ball users of the smalls

Sharps running has always had the potential to be a real weapon. Just needs to show he can use it. Carlton have some great runners. I hope he can turn it on. Again he's not been a good ball user and to me that should be important on the wings

I'd love to see Dev get a go but I'm going to trust our selection panel here, obviously doesn't consider him a like for like replacement for either of the Outs.

Last game at docklands - ball movement terrible, couldn’t kick our way through traffic, lost.

This game at docklands - 2 of our best kicks out, replaced with 2 below par kicks.

This is what i am struggling with the most.

Coleman will be absolutely sweated on as the only good kick out of the backline.

Don't mind it. Looking forward to seeing how much Sharp has developed since he last featured and have always been a fan of Answerth's athleticism, aggression and tackling ability.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The choice will be Devs but both he and Prior are highly regarded by the club. A spot will open up for Jaxon in the next year or so down back. He has some great tools. I love Dev but there are certainly some things he needs to work on. Disposal needs work still and I honestly think Tunstill has passed him in the pecking order. I really think from next year, Tunstill will be a lock in the 22. I would love to see Dev stay and fight it out but I can understand, if an offer comes from someone like westcoast, he should jump at it.
I don’t disagree but a spot has opened up for Prior down back this week, he should be in imo.

Why does everyone think we owe senior games to Dev Robbo- what has he done that makes him this walk up start. He has played a couple of reasonable games, he is not quick, does not have outstanding skills and is OK defensively. I like him on the list but if he was to leave it was because he was not good enough to hold a permanent spot- so be it, not like we giving away a future star. He is unlucky we got Dunks and Will in one pre season but it is what it is.
People don’t think we owe anyone a spot, Dev has earned it more than most. He’s quicker than 80% of the list and outside of Dunkley is probably one of our better defensive mids when he gets to play there. I think he and Answerth have similar styles but I think Dev has been unlucky with the opportunities we’ve given him.

I don’t disagree but a spot has opened up for Prior down back this week, he should be in imo.
I reckon it was a line ball call this week and with how we have played marvel in the past… they choose pace and I am a fan of it! Starce, Wilmot, McKenna from the back half… I like it a lot! Sharp and Noah have a bit of pace about them also… I’m backing the selectors in on this one.

One thing I've learnt through the years involved with footy clubs is that coaches often get it wrong.

The obsess over certain players , worry about inconsequentials and sometimes make decisions based on their own personal prejudices.

The same as everyone in any walk of life.

I was past trusting anyone in a company or management of anything making great decisions eons ago.

But they're paid to do a job and they're doing it the best way they think they can.

It doesn't much matter who we pick to come into our side because they're playing in a great team and should do reasonably well.

It only matters to those who might have unjustifiably missed out.

Which is mostly subjective judgement.

100%.

SELECTION: THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY.

The Good.

Lester was selected

The Bad
Yep, Prior and Robertson won’t stick around. Answerth is a pet, so he was always going to be selected, but watch how many times he gets caught with the ball tomorrow night and how many times he butchers it. Then there is Harry Sharp. Seriously?

The Ugly
Gunston, who makes ZERO defensive contribution to our forward line being selected ahead of Darcy Fort. Gunston doesn’t run, chase or tackle and the goals he kicks, like the goal against Fremantle are usually cheapies.

Oh 3KZ...

One thing I've learnt through the years involved with footy clubs is that coaches often get it wrong.

The obsess over certain players , worry about inconsequentials and sometimes make decisions based on their own personal prejudices.

The same as everyone in any walk of life.

I was past trusting anyone in a company or management of anything making great decisions eons ago.

But they're paid to do a job and they're doing it the best way they think they can.

It doesn't much matter who we pick to come into our side because they're playing in a great team and should do reasonably well.

It only matters to those who might have unjustifiably missed out.

Which is mostly subjective judgement.

So who gets it better? Big Footy?

Outside of the one time 3KZ is Football nephew/son nearly coached us to a GF I find the Big Footy groupthink is hardly ever more astute than the coaches and often hang their hat on the one in ten time the coaches get it wrong.

I've never been a wrap for Dev on anything I've seen but he does give it a red hot crack and can play a role on occasions.

Just my view but Ah Chee is a long way better than the other contenders for the last few spots.

I shudder most times Noah gets hold of the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back