Remove this Banner Ad

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
With the draft fast approaching, thought it would be a good idea to start a thread.

Regardless of whatever happens during trade week, we'll still have to bring in a few players through the draft.

Our current draft hand for 2020 includes:

CFC 1st rounder.
CFC 2nd rounder.
CFC 3rd rounder.
CFC 5th rounder.

Some great talent available with both early and late selections. Let us know who you would like to draft :)

bigm386

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton

Little dated now but as long as we grab a ruckman I am happy.

Henry Walsh for the story.

Little dated now but as long as we grab a ruckman I am happy.

Henry Walsh for the story.

Really? With a just turned 21 TDK, on the books?
If Kreuzer was to go, I'd sooner we find another 21-24 year old....like The Saints did when they took Marshall in the rookie draft.
I'd still like to see a little more of Max Lynch from Collingwood also. He left a bit of an impression on me and he's way behind Grundy.

EDIT: Just had a look - Ladhams went #9 and Marshall @ #10 in the 2016 rookie draft. Not bad.

bigm386

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
If Kreuzer was to go, I'd sooner we find another 21-24 year old....like The Saints did when they took Marshall in the rookie draft.
I'd still like to see a little more of Max Lynch from Collingwood also. He left a bit of an impression on me and he's way behind Grundy.

EDIT: Just had a look - Ladhams went #9 and Marshall @ #10 in the 2016 rookie draft. Not bad.

Keeping in mind it's very rare for a Ruckman to go in the 1st round. Every year a Ruckman expected to go in the first round seems to slide.

I think in the long term TDK will replace the Levi role being both a forward and ruck. Even as a kid he had some good write ups as a forward. I don't see Pittonet as a long term number 1 ruckman.

Mentioned in the past would happily go for someone like Sam Hayes or Callum Coleman-Jones. But I don't think we currently have a future number one Ruckman on our list.

We went into the season with essential 2.5 Ruckman and Kruzer. That worries me a little. Especially because it is a position that takes so long to develop.

This is what I would do as well. We don't need two young ruckman on our list.

Jul 7, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I think Marchbank has the capacity to be the best intercept marking third tall defender in the comp.
With Weitering to take the best forward, Jones to take the most athletic/tallest forward, Marchbank can be the one reading the play and drifting across to kill the contest.

With Plowman or Macreadie taking the best marking, medium forward for a stopping job, and Williamson to take the fastest small forward, we then have Docherty, Simpson or SPS to do the mopping up and generating attacks.

I'd prioritise taking the tallest, most athletic key defender in this draft (like a Nikolas Cox or Zach Reid) to have a few years to get strong enough to take over from Jones when he's done.

I think Marchbank has the capacity to be the best intercept marking third tall defender in the comp.
With Weitering to take the best forward, Jones to take the most athletic/tallest forward, Marchbank can be the one reading the play and drifting across to kill the contest.

With Plowman or Macreadie taking the best marking, medium forward for a stopping job, and Williamson to take the fastest small forward, we then have Docherty, Simpson or SPS to do the mopping up and generating attacks.

I'd prioritise taking the tallest, most athletic key defender in this draft (like a Nikolas Cox or Zach Reid) to have a few years to get strong enough to take over from Jones when he's done.

We need to get some speed into our back half badly.
Not sure what you are suggesting actually achieves this.

Jul 7, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
We need to get some speed into our back half badly.
Not sure what you are suggesting actually achieves this.
Well I'd love us to get Zac Williams into the side to take over from Simmo.

But I think a lot of people don't understand Teague's goals with how we move the ball out of defence. It seems pretty clear that we try to turn a chaotic loose ball into a mark, however we have to achieve that, so we can then set up and make choices about how to advance down the field, taking advantage of our biggest strength which is our contested marking game. SPS's strength is that he can gather a ball and turn in any direction and hit a target. He doesn't need to be able to run and take 2-3 bounces to make Teague's gameplan work.

I think it's a pretty robust approach and has seen us competitive in every game, with a touch more composure with the footy being the difference between being where we are and in the top 4.

bigm386

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Well I'd love us to get Zac Williams into the side to take over from Simmo.

But I think a lot of people don't understand Teague's goals with how we move the ball out of defence. It seems pretty clear that we try to turn a chaotic loose ball into a mark, however we have to achieve that, so we can then set up and make choices about how to advance down the field, taking advantage of our biggest strength which is our contested marking game. SPS's strength is that he can gather a ball and turn in any direction and hit a target. He doesn't need to be able to run and take 2-3 bounces to make Teague's gameplan work.

I think it's a pretty robust approach and has seen us competitive in every game, with a touch more composure with the footy being the difference between being where we are and in the top 4.

Interesting discussion about Williams on footy classified about him maybe wanting to play in the middle not HB. Reference to a final game last year he was BOG after being moved into the middle.

Lloyd mentioned he would be a great fit for us or Essendope.

Interesting discussion about Williams on footy classified about him maybe wanting to play in the middle not HB. Reference to a final game last year he was BOG after being moved into the middle.

Lloyd mentioned he would be a great fit for us or Essendope.

Essendon need big bodied mids. And badly.

May 29, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Good draft this year and a good mix of talls, mids and half forwards at the top end.

at this very early stage I would look at doing the following:

Pre-draft: Go hard at free agency, there’s a couple of good ones that would suit Carlton well.

first round: BEST AVAILABLE! After last year we have a fairly balanced list, this is a good year to use an earlyish pick on whoever we think will be a star.

second round: Best Key position prospect if we don’t pick one in the first round. Otherwise get a speedy skillful wing/half back.

third and fourth round: Speed and skill! This is what the bulk of the list needs to be made of from now on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 1, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton

Pittonet says hi

Carlton are not improving without a midfield. Pick the best available mids with first 2 picks. Bank a Key Position defender if there is one in the 3rd round. I still think we can trade in a small forward and running backs

We did that last year.....and the year before.....and the one before that.....and also the one before that....

Banking young midfielders is not what we need.

bigm386

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Pittonet says hi
Carlton are not improving without a midfield. Pick the best available mids with first 2 picks. Bank a Key Position defender if there is one in the 3rd round. I still think we can trade in a small forward and running backs

Why so we can play them in the forward pocket and half back?

We actually have a stupid amount of untried midfield talent.

Feb 28, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Why so we can play them in the forward pocket and half back?

We actually have a stupid amount of untried midfield talent.
Yes but how many with a combination of foot skills and leg speed.

I would be hesitant to trade for an A grader.

A few clubs have been burnt with some of their big name acquisitions Boyd, Hogan, Shiel, Beams, Gibbs and their big contracts, some are getting poor returns in their investment St Kilda with Hill, Melbourne with May and Lever. The players we chased hard in Gaff and Coniglio are playing nowhere near the value of their chunky contracts. Yes some of those big trades have worked out well, Neale and Kelly come to mind but the risk of this strategy is fraught with danger.

Maybe we should be lowering our eyes for B grade players with upside.Players who have been in the system for 3-5 years. I don't want to be lumbered the salaries of Wines and injury prone Couch as our kids kick on and demand a bigger slice of the salary pie.

As for draft priorities, goal kicking mids and small crumbing forwards for me.

A few clubs have been burnt with some of their big name acquisitions Boyd, Hogan, Shiel, Beams, Gibbs and their big contracts, some are getting poor returns in their investment St Kilda with Hill, Melbourne with May and Lever. The players we chased hard in Gaff and Coniglio are playing nowhere near the value of their chunky contracts. Yes some of those big trades have worked out well, Neale and Kelly come to mind but the risk of this strategy is fraught with danger.

Maybe we should be lowering our eyes for B grade players with upside.Players who have been in the system for 3-5 years. I don't want to be lumbered the salaries of Wines and injury prone Couch as our kids kick on and demand a bigger slice of the salary pie.

I know what you're saying but some players are a less of a possible bust than others.
How clubs didn't know that Hogan, Beams and Gibbs are coming along with issues is somewhat negligent of them.

I'm getting to the point I'm not seeing Papley as a viable option, any more.
He seems to be happy enough right now and The Swans will not want to lose a marquee player for a draft pick or two, unless something special was walking into the door for them.

Austin will though want to show himself as an operator, given the reputation of his predecessor.
We'll be going hard for premium targets. This I have little doubt about, but I'm just not seeing Papley as clearly as I saw him previously.

bigm386

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Yes but how many with a combination of foot skills and leg speed.

We honestly don't know regarding speed and disposal. I can tell you Fisher, LoB, Polson, Stocker as examples have pace. Disposal efficiency at an AFL level takes time at the coal face.

We don't give our kids that.

Jul 7, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Why can’t Philp be that running defender we need so badly?

Has speed, aggression, can tackle, he’s tall enough at 186.

Am I missing anything?
I personally see Philp taking over Ed's role in a couple of years. He strikes me as the type of person who is disciplined and team oriented, possessing all the physical attributes necessary to play the role of a highly accountable midfielder who can punish his opponent going the other way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back