List Mgmt. Carlton's 2020 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

My initial thoughts on Grainger-Barrass were that we probably don't want to be dropping a top 10 pick on a second key defender given we've already got Boss-Weiters. Felt that a budget option would be better for list balance.

But then I looked over our list...and I don't really know that we really need to be using a top 10 pick elsewhere. We've already got a couple of elite tall forwards, we're loaded up on first round mids and just need to find the one or two who are ready to take the next step, we've got a really impressive young ruckman just taking the next step, and top 10 picks generally don't line up with small forwards.

So now I'm thinking Grainger-Barrass, if available, is probably perfectly fine. If not, then I think an athletic medium forward is the play - Elijah Hollands (if he slides), Oliver Henry, Archie Perkins?

DGB is one out of the box for me LM

If we add mids this trade period I would take him

He certainly is a class act, and if we're adding some midfielders via the trade period, I would not be completely against the concept.

Just worried the likes of Dow, Stocker, LOB are not going to be above average midfielders, so we certainly need to go to that well again.

Kemp may end up being a defender long term as well, so we may have filled that void.

He certainly is a class act, and if we're adding some midfielders via the trade period, I would not be completely against the concept.

Just worried the likes of Dow, Stocker, LOB are not going to be above average midfielders, so we certainly need to go to that well again.

Kemp may end up being a defender long term as well, so we may have filled that void.

I am certain Kemp will start his career similar to Ash on HB, then progress to the middle/resting forward

I agree you can pick up KPD's later in the draft, especially lockdown ones and there are a couple that fit that bill in this year's draft

I am certain Kemp will start his career similar to Ash on HB, then progress to the middle/resting forward

I agree you can pick up KPD's later in the draft, especially lockdown ones and there are a couple that fit that bill in this year's draft

Given we seem to be targeting defensive runners from other clubs, what do you think Kemp's prospects would be of playing the third tall forward role to ease him into the senior side?

Given we seem to be targeting defensive runners from other clubs, what do you think Kemp's prospects would be of playing the third tall forward role to ease him into the senior side?
I'd think playing off HB would be the easier role given the ball is coming your way more often.
Playing as a 3rd tall in our forward line (at least with the our current setup) would be a killer.

I'd think playing off HB would be the easier role given the ball is coming your way more often.
Playing as a 3rd tall in our forward line (at least with the our current setup) would be a killer.

Fair call. I suppose he could potentially take Williamson's spot down back, which allows us to use Willo off the wing more regularly.

If that's the case though, then I'd definitely be leaning towards drafting an athletic medium forward with our earliest pick, if there's a suitable one available. Think we're seeing the value of such players across the league - Mihochek, Fritsch, Gunston, Wallis, Rohan - not traditional smalls, not KPP size, but mobile and skillful tweeners who can hurt you on the lead and on a fast break.

Fair call. I suppose he could potentially take Williamson's spot down back, which allows us to use Willo off the wing more regularly.

If that's the case though, then I'd definitely be leaning towards drafting an athletic medium forward with our earliest pick, if there's a suitable one available. Think we're seeing the value of such players across the league - Mihochek, Fritsch, Gunston, Wallis, Rohan - not traditional smalls, not KPP size, but mobile and skillful tweeners who can hurt you on the lead and on a fast break.

That's the exact kind of player McGovern will be if he ever gets his act together. I still have faith he can be a damaging player in that role.

Certainly a viable option and in years to come he will spend a fair chunk up forward

Playing HB is a good stepping stone for many players, easier position to play and a better form of education on how a game unfolds

Has played HB as a junior, so the transition there would be easier for him, especially after a knee

That's the exact kind of player McGovern will be if he ever gets his act together. I still have faith he can be a damaging player in that role.

Yep, I think that's the type of player we were aiming to recruit in Gov, but his recent form (and his inability to string together a good run of games) makes me think that we should probably hedge our bets and draft a talented 18yo who could feasibly play that role to a decent standard sometime next year.

It's either that, or we double down on JSOS, Honey and Phillips and make sure at least one of them gets some serious senior minutes to build into some good form and a good working partnership with Harry and Charlie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just on this draft, struggling to come up with an accurate ranking given the limited junior footy, so I would just be guessing when looking at many of the kids. Might list players in groups, but even then, that will be somewhat hit or miss.

Right now, given many clubs will be looking to add points, it might be a better option to add multiple 2nd and 3rd rounders this year, especially if our list management have identified some smokeys

Feel like a Mcphalin, Doedee type draft in many respects

Just on this draft, struggling to come up with an accurate ranking given the limited junior footy, so I would just be guessing when looking at many of the kids. Might list players in groups, but even then, that will be somewhat hit or miss.

Right now, given many clubs will be looking to add points, it might be a better option to add multiple 2nd and 3rd rounders this year, especially if our list management have identified some smokeys

I usually get a feel for the top draftees by watching the U/18 champs, now WTF am I supposed to do? I'll be as bad as blind Freddie when assessing this year's crop.

Crows will hit the draft hard.
Already have picks 1, 8, 20 & 31.

If the rumored Atkins deal is even close to accurate he might net a reasonable compo pick.

Add another first round if Brad goes to Geelong.

They are chasing hard for Hately from GWS. You’d think a second rnd would be enough to get him.

It’s not a bad year to rebuild from reports. Collingwood list manager was saying the to 30 is super talented.
It's a good year to have talent and consistency banked and to take a punt on someone who has grown 6 inches and put on 5kg of muscle and/or has outstanding athletic attributes, but it's not a good idea to base an entire rebuild on.

No overage year. No champs. Victorian draft coterie smashed and missing development. Lots of academy picks.

This is a draft to take a risk with a second round pick, and/or to trade your first to get someone you know will go alright.

Crows will hit the draft hard.
Already have picks 1, 8, 20 & 31.

If the rumored Atkins deal is even close to accurate he might net a reasonable compo pick.

Add another first round if Brad goes to Geelong.

They are chasing hard for Hately from GWS. You’d think a second rnd would be enough to get him.

It’s not a bad year to rebuild from reports. Collingwood list manager was saying the to 30 is super talented.

Yep, they have the hand to rebuild quite quickly. 2nd rounder will definately get Hately done, otherwise they take him for nothing in preseason draft.

Adelaide feasted on GWS last year and are perfectly placed to do so again.

We're not going to get him, but I really want Grainger-Barass. We desperately need to replace Jones, regardless of what he can do; we either need to reduce him to his athletic intercept marking, and leave the defense to others, or to trade him ASAP.

This isn't a criticism of him, exactly. More, I do not think we can allow the coach killers he lets through with the game we are looking to play. We need to be almost universally stingy across the board behind the ball.

Very hard to draft the Vic kids and that normally makes up over 40% of the draft, so certainly recruiters are going to make their money this year.

WA boys have some exposed form, so I wonder if that boosts their prospects or not. McDonald, he has been gunning it most weeks (Not last week).

Very hard to draft the Vic kids and that normally makes up over 40% of the draft, so certainly recruiters are going to make their money this year.

WA boys have some exposed form, so I wonder if that boosts their prospects or not. McDonald, he has been gunning it most weeks (Not last week).

SA boys as well

It feels like a dart throwing exercise this year

CARLTON

Draft picks (after home and away season): 7, 27, 45

The type of player they should target: Midfielders to replace Marc Murphy and Ed Curnow

Ideal player: Tanner Bruhn

Father-son/Academy prospects: Tom Gleeson, Mackenzie Hogg, Charlie McKay, Tom Silvagni

The Blues seem certain to steal Zac Williams from GWS and have pushed hard to win Brad Crouch’s heart, indicating the club is keen on bringing in more midfielders. Patrick Cripps has been supported mostly by Marc Murphy and Ed Curnow — who won’t be playing forever — but Matt Kennedy has impressed at times, Will Setterfield is emerging and Sam Walsh is already a young star. But a player in the calibre of Bruhn would be hard to pass off if the Blues were in the mix to snare the Geelong Falcons product. A few injuries have hindered the Geelong Falcons product him in the past, missing a chunk of 2019. However, he was able to train at Geelong in the pre-season, with raving reviews emerging. The 18-year-old is a good ball user and can play inside and outside, giving him flexibility as he grows into his body.

If the club succeeds in recruiting both Williams and Saad is it then possible they look at drafting a key position defender to replace Jones in a couple of years.

Williams and Saad will provide the mature runnings players we so desperately need and reduce the desperation to draft one.

With the bsos and Goddard delisted and macreadie in doubt there isn’t much backup for Jones and weitering. Marchbank doesn’t play key position. Casboult can go back l guess.

With so many highly rated key position players in this draft would we use our first rounder on one thinking he would be ready in a couple of years when Jones retires.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Would be great if Grainger-Barrass somehow fell to our pick if we keep it.

AFL makey-uppey in either case. Either the AFL want the Crows strong, and they'll get pick 2 regardless of what they get for Crouch, or the opposite.

It's a lever, one they will not keep from using to manufacture drama. IMO, it probably makes them more money to have a strong Port Adelaide AND Adelaide at the same time, so I think they'll get pick 2.
Versus the AFL desire to see the cycle perpetuate itself, up and down the ladder in a cyclical manner, particularly if mismanagement: poor trading, camp influence the relative position on the ladder.

CARLTON

Draft picks (after home and away season): 7, 27, 45

The type of player they should target: Midfielders to replace Marc Murphy and Ed Curnow

Ideal player: Tanner Bruhn

Father-son/Academy prospects: Tom Gleeson, Mackenzie Hogg, Charlie McKay, Tom Silvagni

The Blues seem certain to steal Zac Williams from GWS and have pushed hard to win Brad Crouch’s heart, indicating the club is keen on bringing in more midfielders. Patrick Cripps has been supported mostly by Marc Murphy and Ed Curnow — who won’t be playing forever — but Matt Kennedy has impressed at times, Will Setterfield is emerging and Sam Walsh is already a young star. But a player in the calibre of Bruhn would be hard to pass off if the Blues were in the mix to snare the Geelong Falcons product. A few injuries have hindered the Geelong Falcons product him in the past, missing a chunk of 2019. However, he was able to train at Geelong in the pre-season, with raving reviews emerging. The 18-year-old is a good ball user and can play inside and outside, giving him flexibility as he grows into his body.

Makes sense for us to look at him if that's what the club decides to do.

Our biggest deficiency is quality ball movement heading inside forward 50. Bruhn addresses that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back