Review Cats down Doggies by 4 points to go 4-0

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s so strange and doesn’t even make sense.

We have had more scoring shots than our opponents in every single game this year.

We have also lost the free kick count in every single game this year.

Our two best mids are out.
Won twice interstate.

I’ll admit we haven’t played much… but the respect we are getting is laughable.
No no. Let them go

Life is too short not to fling a lid or two about occasionally. Take joy where you can. Why rob yourself of a few weeks of happiness? No ones dies if you are wrong. There are enough cranky, frustrating, heart breaking times in a life of following football. Just don't be a knob about it.

*it was 3/4 time at the 2007 grand final before I dared to dream and even then I anxious.

Honestly that reads like the attitude of a success staved Carlton supporter a few weeks before they do their annual membership melt.

When you've been good as we have for as long as we have you don't dream of success, it is your birth right. No midfield no worries, team resembles an overdone steak, no worries. So old that even the headstones have been placed, to find the date of death now has a typo, no worries. There is only one Geelong, the greatest team of all and Chris Scott is our coach.

Honestly that reads like the attitude of a success staved Carlton supporter a few weeks before they do their annual membership melt.

When you've been good as we have for as long as we have you don't dream of success, it is your birth right. No midfield no worries, team resembles an overdone steak, no worries. So old that even the headstones have been placed, to find the date of death now has a typo, no worries. There is only one Geelong, the greatest team of all and Chris Scott is our coach.
Birthright ? I must be a fair bit older than you. It’s a shame more people aren’t celebrating the bit about Chris Scott, I agree.

,Birthright ? I must be a fair bit older than you. It’s a shame more people aren’t celebrating the bit about Chris Scott, I agree.

All people can be reborn a new under a baptism, the sins and failings of the past washed away by success. Not the first time a people wandered through the wilderness for 40 years, that too also ended in four glorious weeks. What came through was a new people ignorant of the old wailing, after washing the pains from their hearts, what remains is the promise made by the forefathers of Costa, Cook and Thompson our birthright.

Selwood on talking footy the other week said Hawkins doesn't usually like to take time off, and that he just grinds it out and likes to build momentum.

We have 9 games until we have the bye in Rd 14, feel like if you had to rest Hawkins for games it would be the Kangaroos game since they are a bit s**t, or the Gold Coast game since its up in Darwin.

That sounds a little more like you picking us to fall and now being confused as to why it hasn't happened that way.

It was pretty clear we weren't going to fall, and your prediction that we'd end up akin to West Coast was a bit ridiculous tbh.

Like others have said, the lid premise is stupid in itself. It's a game of footy, one that we have zero control over as supporters.

The whole 'don't count your chickens' logic would make sense if we could somehow influence the result, and we needed to keep our minds on the job at all times...but we can't. That's the players and coaches problem.

All we can do is ride the emotional roller coaster that is a football season, and we're on the high of that right now.

Even if we had dropped a couple till now, I believe we'd still have a positive vibe around here.

Winning while getting valuable experience into SDK, Holmes, Bruhn, Dempsey, Clark, Henry, Conway, & Mullin is a bonus.

It's a rare combination to see the future of the club being developed, while also still being competitive, let alone winning. Hopefully it continues that way.

That sounds a little more like you picking us to fall and now being confused as to why it hasn't happened that way.

It was pretty clear we weren't going to fall, and your prediction that we'd end up akin to West Coast was a bit ridiculous tbh.

Like others have said, the lid premise is stupid in itself. It's a game of footy, one that we have zero control over as supporters.

The whole 'don't count your chickens' logic would make sense if we could somehow influence the result, and we needed to keep our minds on the job at all times...but we can't. That's the players and coaches problem.

All we can do is ride the emotional roller coaster that is a football season, and we're on the high of that right now.

Even if we had dropped a couple till now, I believe we'd still have a positive vibe around here.

Winning while getting valuable experience into SDK, Holmes, Bruhn, Dempsey, Clark, Henry, Conway, & Mullin is a bonus.

It's a rare combination to see the future of the club being developed, while also still being competitive, let alone winning. Hopefully it continues that way.

The sentiment at the start of the year really seemed to be we'd finish 6th to 12th and that if we were lucky we could be contending for finals/a premiership properly in 2026. Now I'm generally pretty delusional in terms of my optimism with Geelong but I really want to see how we do against another potential top 4 side before the lid gets blown off to to the stratosphere.

Brisbane at the Gabba, Melbourne and Carlton at the MCG. If we win/play well enough in 2 of those three, I'm on the bandwagon, 3 out of 3 and I'm buying tickets for the granny

Atkins is a better kick, a better decision maker, and has higher footy IQ. He's also way more versatile than Parfitt. Defensively they're about even. Not too many areas I'd have Parfitt ahead in. Maybe better vision by hand in tight around stoppages. But that's about it.
I am really enjoying Parfitt’s season but man I’m stunned how quickly folks have forgotten how important Atkins has been over last three seasons, mostly in the midfield. Single handedly willed us over the line in a few close games.
Over comparable attributes Atkins is clearly ahead of Parfitt and has more versatility - that’s why he’ll play elsewhere if the team needs it. Parfitt has the bigger body so complements the smaller Clark etc when they’re at the bounces. Subject to form and injury, happy for both to play.

Last edited:
Atkins is a better kick, a better decision maker, and has higher footy IQ. He's also way more versatile than Parfitt. Defensively they're about even. Not too many areas I'd have Parfitt ahead in. Maybe better vision by hand in tight around stoppages. But that's about it.
Parfits better at clearances, better run down tackle player (one of the best in the league), better at finding the pill and better at breaking lines.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Parfits better at clearances, better run down tackle player (one of the best in the league), better at finding the pill and better at breaking lines.
Be interested to see the career stats of first three (presume last no stats available) for both, please. For Atkins, would be best for last 3 years (ie like for like/when he became a mid, maybe take out Parfs first two seasons when he was mainly a HF).

Last edited:
I am really enjoying Parfitt’s season but man I’m stunned how quickly folks have forgotten how important Atkins has been over last three seasons, mostly in the midfield. Single handedly willed us over the line in a few close games.
Over comparable attributes Atkins is clearly ahead of Parfitt and has more versatility - that’s why he’ll play elsewhere if the team needs it. Parfitt has the bigger body so complements the smaller Clark etc when they’re at the bounces. Subject to form and injury, happy for both to play.
Gonna be a bit stiff for one or two of those semi -mid type players once Guthrie and Dangerfield return.

Over comparable attributes Atkins is clearly ahead of Parfitt and has more versatility - that’s why he’ll play elsewhere if the team needs it.
I don't agree with that. We tried him up forward, and frankly it didn't work. We tried him down back, and he was ok, not great. He also can't play on the 'outside'.

He's found a role that he's really good at (basically, in-and-under hard nut). But I don't think he's versatile.

I feel like every game I watch the commentators want the other team to win.
I’m not sure if I’m imagining this or the commentators are just like lots of fans- just sick of us being good.
Commentators always want a close game and therefore will always hype any kind of comeback. Don't read much into it.

I don't agree with that. We tried him up forward, and frankly it didn't work. We tried him down back, and he was ok, not great. He also can't play on the 'outside'.

He's found a role that he's really good at (basically, in-and-under hard nut). But I don't think he's versatile.
For me, It's not that he is very good at being versatile... It's that has is just better at it than Parf.

Parf is inside mid only (nothing else for him)... Atkins can at least go back if we need him to, and with Parf in the side it looks like we took that option.

I don't think it's ideal... but with Danger/Guthrie being out means Parf is in... and he kinda is playing in Atkins role.

I still want more from Atkins though.

For me, It's not that he is very good at being versatile... It's that has is just better at it than Parf.

Parf is inside mid only (nothing else for him)... Atkins can at least go back if we need him to, and with Parf in the side it looks like we took that option.

I don't think it's ideal... but with Danger/Guthrie being out means Parf is in... and he kinda is playing in Atkins role.

I still want more from Atkins though.
Atkins needs a Danger and/or Guthrie next to him to really perform IMO.

Atkins and a bunch of kids understandably brings him down a couple levels, as he's the main focus when he should be the 2nd or 3rd (like 2022).

I actually quite liked him as a defender. I mean, he just played as a midfielder in the backline, but I liked it.

I actually quite liked him as a defender. I mean, he just played as a midfielder in the backline, but I liked it.
To my mind, he doesn't quite have the tools to really excel as a small defender. Modern small defenders are, ideally, either really good distributors, or quick, dynamic line-breakers. It does take away from his number one strength - clearance ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back