Review Cats defeat Doggies by 22 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd expect us to pick our absolute best available team the next 2 weeks. We need 2 wins to have any chance of pushing for top 4.

Mullin, O Henry, Bruhn, Knevitt and Ceglar are the 5 under pressure I'd say. Bews is the only senior guy who I think has been struggling enough to come under pressure but I expect them to back him in.

Ceglar is really a question of structure more than anything. I could see us leaving him out against PA who don't have a big second ruck and playing on the bigger ground. But I'd expect him to play against Melbourne.

So I'll say for Port:

Ins - Danger, Holmes, Duncan, Bowes
Outs - Ceglar, O Henry, Mullin, Knevitt (sub)

Port might have dixon marshall and finlayson plus lycett rucking. I think we would need cegs unless sav is back because only then could you put sdk in the ruck.
I think you try and get ceglar through the next 2 weeks then leave him home for the trip to sydney (swans dont have great rucks anyway).

Port might have dixon marshall and finlayson plus lycett rucking. I think we would need cegs unless sav is back because only then could you put sdk in the ruck.
I think you try and get ceglar through the next 2 weeks then leave him home for the trip to sydney (swans dont have great rucks anyway).
From what I heard Sav might be a month away.

Remember it took some flakey years before Blicavs became the weapon he is. The same will happen with Sav. He's only 24 years old and he missed more than a year after badly breaking his lower leg.

No he didn't

He broke his lower leg in round 10, 26 May 2018

He returned for pre-season and was back in the senior team for round 1, March 22 2019. He also played 20 games in 2019, with the first game he missed being round 9 - that was just before the 12 month anniversary of his injury

No one's denying the seriousness of his broken leg, but we don't need to add unnecessary mayo to the injury

Borrowed this from the Dogs board.

View attachment 1705550

Shows that we made the Dogs (or they chose ) shoot from outside 50

Over a third of the Dogs shots are from outside 50.

Thanks, I thought as much. Had to beat us back to our defensive best and Dogs went close for awhile. Watched a few replays and felt like saying to the dogs board you seem unnecessarily harsh (cutting their wrists) on misses which are in fact difficult shots but CBF counting for the oppos. I think because Naughton is so frustrating at shots it's confirmation bias on the others. Having said that, they looked a bit selfish.

No he didn't

He returned for pre-season and was back in the senior team for round 1, March 22 2019. He also played 20 games in 2019, with the first game he missed being round 9 - that was just before the 12 month anniversary of his injury

No one's denying the seriousness of his broken leg, but we don't need to add unnecessary mayo to the injury

Spot on. If we're doing that, Parfitt's broken hand becomes a mitigating factor.
Don't see any leeway for that.

Danger overcame amputation to win player of the finals last year.

Our medical team is truly remarkable.

Can never think of a miraculous injury recovery without Stevie J popping into mind.
Broken ankles over the fence, hiding the ice packs pre 2011 GF.
And Stevie Baker purposely rolling full weight onto Johnson's injured leg.
They drew up some horse anesthetic in those days.

Sav is the defender equivalent of Josh Jenkins.

With their height and build, you think you're getting a key position player...when really you're getting a marking flank player.

Nothing wrong with that, as Sav has performed admirably and JJ was a very good player at his peak....but it means you need to tinker with selection a little bit.

At this stage of their development, I don't think we can play SDK, Sav, Kolo, and J Henry in the same backline...and at this point in time, I'd be going with the backline that won us a premiership over the experiments of this year.

It doesn't mean Sav's papers are stamped, he's hardly put a foot wrong...but we looked so solid on the weekend, with Tommy returning to his hall of fame best after being let off the chain.

If we're going to go on a run this year, that will be the backline that launches it IMO.
We looked so solid? Bulldogs had 26 scoring shots and another 4 or 5 OOF. 15 marks inside 50. They were just wasteful. The outside 50 shots above is a fair enough point but they still had plenty of chances that were being nailed by our opposition the previous 3 weeks. 6 or 7 sodas missed.

Last edited:
No he didn't

Maybe I added a bit of chillie. Either way it set him back and he played very timidly for a while after he came back from the injury. I reckon it set his development back a year. This year things are starting to click for him. I'm glad we didn't give him to PA for peanuts which his detractors were in favour of and some here still are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd expect us to pick our absolute best available team the next 2 weeks. We need 2 wins to have any chance of pushing for top 4.

Mullin, O Henry, Bruhn, Knevitt and Ceglar are the 5 under pressure I'd say. Bews is the only senior guy who I think has been struggling enough to come under pressure but I expect them to back him in.

Ceglar is really a question of structure more than anything. I could see us leaving him out against PA who don't have a big second ruck and playing on the bigger ground. But I'd expect him to play against Melbourne.

So I'll say for Port:

Ins - Danger, Holmes, Duncan, Bowes
Outs - Ceglar, O Henry, Mullin, Knevitt (sub)

I couldn’t have Bowes ahead of Knevitt.

I think Knevitt offers a lot more than Bowes, already, not even allowing for the fact what a few more game’s experience will do for him.

and Ollie Henry will not be dropped.

Agree with other changes.

Borrowed this from the Dogs board.

View attachment 1705550

Shows that we made the Dogs (or they chose ) shoot from outside 50

Over a third of the Dogs shots are from outside 50.
Symptom of a new forward structure they don't know how to use yet.

They'll get there

After watching on the couch i am well and truly in the Miers for AA selection

They gave stats for how well players retain the ball from kicks into the forward 50 and Miers is miles in front of everyone

45% of his kicks are retained next best is actually Danger with 30%
The change in Miers since about this time last year has been astounding

The change in Miers since about this time last year has been astounding
He started last year with injuries but once he got it all together my word was he good and has gone to another level this year.

Probably the only player that has been on fire the whole year for us.

Sav is the defender equivalent of Josh Jenkins.

With their height and build, you think you're getting a key position player...when really you're getting a marking flank player.

Nothing wrong with that, as Sav has performed admirably and JJ was a very good player at his peak....but it means you need to tinker with selection a little bit.

At this stage of their development, I don't think we can play SDK, Sav, Kolo, and J Henry in the same backline...and at this point in time, I'd be going with the backline that won us a premiership over the experiments of this year.

It doesn't mean Sav's papers are stamped, he's hardly put a foot wrong...but we looked so solid on the weekend, with Tommy returning to his hall of fame best after being let off the chain.

If we're going to go on a run this year, that will be the backline that launches it IMO.
sav ahead of kolo and j.henry on this years form.

After watching on the couch i am well and truly in the Miers for AA selection

They gave stats for how well players retain the ball from kicks into the forward 50 and Miers is miles in front of everyone

45% of his kicks are retained next best is actually Danger with 30%
That was a staggering stat.

He's kicked the ball inside 50 on 42 occassions this year. 19 of those have led to a Geelong mark.

Even Jeremy Cameron who is an astonishingly good kick, and 3rd best in the comp, is going at a rate of just over 12 marks from 42 kicks inside 50.

That was a staggering stat.

He's kicked the ball inside 50 on 42 occassions this year. 19 of those have led to a Geelong mark.

Even Jeremy Cameron who is an astonishingly good kick, and 3rd best in the comp, is going at a rate of just over 12 marks from 42 kicks inside 50.

He's probably up there with Hawk/JC and Stewart as structure critical players this season. Its not just the delivery he's providing- he's also still gut running to be an outlet out of defence and his disposal there is also a weapon. Elite this year.

FWIW on form i'd be dropping SDK and playing Sav/henry/kolo. Not that SDK has been terrible, but Sav has been a bit better this year. I think SDK's best is better than Sav's best (especially below the knee's and disposal), but SDK is a young player and its reasonable to expect inconsistent form early on and he shouldn't be played just because of potential if we have someone doing the same role slightly better available and no capacity to play both of them without screwing up the team structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back