Review Geelong defeats Saints by 8 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Billings, Gresham, Coffield, all at other clubs now. Clark perennially injured. McCartin retired. Their drafting of high end talent has been absolutely abysmal until recent years.

I have been running the numbers on how our fielding of youth compares to other clubs recently.

For all their hanging on about rebuilding and playing youth, they have given a game to players drafted in our after the 2019 draft 137 206 times.

Us? 125 times while winning a premiership from 2x GF appearances.

Numbers do not include games at other clubs like Bruhn at GWS. Only the times Chris Scott actively played a kid.

Edit: missed a column and undervalued stk numbers. If you really want a talking point CS has played more 1st to 3rd year players in the last 7 years than the saints have

Last edited:
Geelong Cats vs St Kilda
VOTES PLAYER (CLUB)
10 -
Patrick Dangerfield (GEEL)
7 - Jeremy Cameron (GEEL)
6 - Max Holmes (GEEL)
3 - Mark Blicavs (GEEL)
2 - Liam Henry (STK)
1 - Tom Atkins (GEEL)
1 - Oliver Dempsey (GEEL)

Geelong Cats vs St Kilda
VOTES PLAYER (CLUB)
10 -
6 - Max Holmes (GEEL)
3 - Mark Blicavs (GEEL)
2 - Liam Henry (STK)
1 - Tom Atkins (GEEL)

Bruhn stiff IMO, I would have given him votes ahead of Atkins, and Stewart ahead of Blicavs.

Geelong Cats vs St Kilda
VOTES PLAYER (CLUB)
10 -
6 - Max Holmes (GEEL)
3 - Mark Blicavs (GEEL)
2 - Liam Henry (STK)
1 - Tom Atkins (GEEL)
Really did not feel like a 10 vote game from danger but I guess that goal floating through carried some weight

Really did not feel like a 10 vote game from danger but I guess that goal floating through carried some weight

For me, well deserved as a total work horse even apart from the goal. Shock is Bruhn not even polling.
And for all his flair Dempsey only gets one? Can't wait to see Ump votes on this one.

Geelong Cats vs St Kilda
VOTES PLAYER (CLUB)
10 -
6 - Max Holmes (GEEL)
3 - Mark Blicavs (GEEL)
2 - Liam Henry (STK)
1 - Tom Atkins (GEEL)

Interesting voting...doing a quick cursory breakdown, means the votes would be:

Danger - Lyon 5/Scott 5
Jez - Lyon 3/Scott 4
Holmes - Lyon 4/Scott 2
Blics - Scott 3
L. Henry - Lyon 2
T. Atkins - Lyon or Scott 1
Dempsey - Lyon or Scott 1

Geelong Cats vs St Kilda
VOTES PLAYER (CLUB)
10 -
6 - Max Holmes (GEEL)
3 - Mark Blicavs (GEEL)
2 - Liam Henry (STK)
1 - Tom Atkins (GEEL)
Goes to show how subjective this all is.

BF family (for what it is worth) had Danger and then Dempsey next before Holmes and Bruhn and then a gap in terms of Geelong 5,4,3,2,1…maybe we all go carried away with the shock of a young player break out game?

But Damian Barrett on his weekly 5,4,3,2,1 had Ollie sneaking into the top 5 for the whole round! (He got caught up too) and of course as you posted he was part of Brown’s team of the week etc…

But with the Coach he had Ollie as number 5 (or maybe it was Lyon!) on the list…

Usually 6-7pm from memory.
Yep I think 6:30pm to be precise is when it is released.

And it will be Dempsey for sure - well deserved. Let’s hope like SDK in 2022 this builds confidence (without getting carried away with the somewhat OTT hype!) for not only a nomination but a genuine chance over the full year

Yep I think 6:30pm to be precise is when it is released.

And it will be Dempsey for sure - well deserved. Let’s hope like SDK in 2022 this builds confidence (without getting carried away with the somewhat OTT hype!) for not only a nomination but a genuine chance over the full year
So you're saying the hall of fame induction might have to wait until next year?

Opposition fans...

Trigger Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

It didn't. But did anyone stand out from either side? There was an evenness across the board. Danger had some key moments and his explosion from the contest is still elite, even if he's lost a yard of pace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe I’m reading to much into this but……

We lost at home last year to the Dogs, who finished 9th.

We just played with a younger team with more scope for improvement, against a team who finished 6th, we were fumbly and kicked inaccurately and had the game on our terms most of the match, and we won. And somehow the take away from the match is that we’ve gone backwards.

Am I missing something?
The Bulldogs match I don't count, as it was a dead rubber with about 10 best 22 players off for surgery. If anything it was embarrassing for them that we were on top until we ran out of puff with nothing to play for.

Otherwise I agree that it was a good solid win against gritty opposition - the likes of which probably would've done a Freo or GWS on us last year. Lots to like from the young and primed age cohorts. A good chunk of the 30+ guys were Rolls Royce's too (Danger, Cameron, Stewart, Blicavs, Duncan at the very least).

It didn't quite translate to the scoreboard but we got the job done.

Nah he was great all match.

Blicavs and Atkins games were also underrated by folks here (admittedly I only found an HM for Blicavs) but it was a match where 10-12 Geelong players could've got votes.

Dempsey a little low, Bruhn a little unlucky but otherwise Danger, Holmes and Cameron were the chief destroyers.

Goes to show how subjective this all is.

BF family (for what it is worth) had Danger and then Dempsey next before Holmes and Bruhn and then a gap in terms of Geelong 5,4,3,2,1…maybe we all go carried away with the shock of a young player break out game?

But Damian Barrett on his weekly 5,4,3,2,1 had Ollie sneaking into the top 5 for the whole round! (He got caught up too) and of course as you posted he was part of Brown’s team of the week etc…

But with the Coach he had Ollie as number 5 (or maybe it was Lyon!) on the list…
For coaches votes (so not just the Brownlow), forward flankers tend to get snubbed. Much the same as defenders unless you're that AA calibre Stewart, Andrews, Sicily or Houston type.

Miers and Zuthrie were unlucky a bit last year but their great seasons were rewarded in the B&F.

You could easily swap Dempsey and Cameron, but Cameron tends to benefit from his roaming up the ground like a midfielder and also adding his 20 plus disposals.

This is just a personal view but I think Scott can be deliberately stingy with young players to avoid "Big head-ism". I'm not saying they will always be graded more harshly but Bruhn has probably done enough to sneak some 1s or 2s by now. And from memory, he hasn't cracked his cherry yet.

Nah he was great all match.

Blicavs and Atkins games were also underrated by folks here (admittedly I only found an HM for Blicavs) but it was a match where 10-12 Geelong players could've got votes.

Dempsey a little low, Bruhn a little unlucky but otherwise Danger, Holmes and Cameron were the chief destroyers.

I was at the game and didn’t notice Atkins particularly, but on replay he was outstanding! Highly influential!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Bulldogs match I don't count, as it was a dead rubber with about 10 best 22 players off for surgery. If anything it was embarrassing for them that we were on top until we ran out of puff with nothing to play for.

Otherwise I agree that it was a good solid win against gritty opposition - the likes of which probably would've done a Freo or GWS on us last year. Lots to like from the young and primed age cohorts. A good chunk of the 30+ guys were Rolls Royce's too (Danger, Cameron, Stewart, Blicavs, Duncan at the very least).

It didn't quite translate to the scoreboard but we got the job done.

I thought Saturday’s win was very impressive. It was finals type pressure in a Round 1 match. And honestly, as underdogs at our home ground, the Saints had far less to lose than us.
It was an arm wrestle all night and we came out on top. It’s almost fair to say that we were more than 50/50 all night. Smashed them in i50s. I felt that the game was ours to lose most of the night, but to the Saints’ credit, they refused to surrender and looked very dangerous on the sling-shot.
Could be a win that increases in value as this season progresses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dempsey a lock for the rising star nom this week. Both Windsor and Sanders subbed - no chance they get it with their 15 disposals. McKercher was ok, but did very little with it. Howes probably the only other one I'd consider looking at, or even Jack Carroll if still eligible - otherwise should be Ollie's at 1.01 odds, lol. Reid was not impressive at all.

15 disposals, 3 goals, 2 goal assists, 9 score involvements and 5 inside 50's - not to mention a genuine match winner when it counted. Absolute star in the making.

Nailed it.

Congrats Ollie, you genuine future star you!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back