Review Geelong defeats Saints by 8 points

Remove this Banner Ad

I got St Kilda mates strutting around, chest out, arms flaying all over the place in true Conor McGregor style because they got so close to us.

Not happy Jan.
it is funny how the narrative or spin flips things, all media goons and general public have widely tipped us to drop off to even bottom 5, and Saints to improve on making finals last year...

yet after the game we are the ones that are a worry because the Saints got close?

I got St Kilda mates strutting around, chest out, arms flaying all over the place in true Conor McGregor style because they got so close to us.

Not happy Jan.

Just imagine supporting a club where after over 10 years of high draft picks and rebuilding, a close loss is as good as a win to them. Not to mention to a team that’s never bottomed out and won a flag just over a season ago. It’s actually sad

Not happy Jan.
They were literally dancing in the aisles when they beat us last year. I think it's another one of those one-sided rivalries we seem to have a habit of collecting. Most would have had them heading upwards while we fall of that cliff, so getting done in by us by any margin is a fail.

Not happy Jan.
At least this time when they lost their grand final they aren't going to be harassed with vision of their star losing it in the goal square on repeat

it is funny how the narrative or spin flips things, all media goons and general public have widely tipped us to drop off to even bottom 5, and Saints to improve on making finals last year...

yet after the game we are the ones that are a worry because the Saints got close?
It is a lesson we much re-teach them every year

At least this time when they lost their grand final they aren't going to be harassed with vision of their star losing it in the goal square on repeat
Word on the street is that even whilst losing, StKilda are officially releasing a dvd of the game… Just like they did for that random home and away game they beat us in many years back.

Bonus game disc - 2009 GF replay.

Word on the street is that even whilst losing, StKilda are officially releasing a dvd of the game… Just like they did for that random home and away game they beat us in many years back.

Bonus game disc - 2009 GF replay.
"The Streak 2: three unanswered in the last"

Added: it would have been next level trolling to make a second premiership DVD called "The Streak" about how we won 16 in a row to win the premiership

"The Streak 2: three unanswered in the last"

Added: it would have been next level trolling to make a second premiership DVD called "The Streak" about how we won 16 in a row to win the premiership
I have a new idea for the st kilda marketing team

“The streak special edition” with all new exclusive slow motion and up close footage of how nick riewoldt almost smothered the kick in from full back of the GF!”

Late to the thread, but feel that I'm happy enough with that performance whilst also being very frustrated.

Won the centre clearances with Bruhn, Clark, Atkins and Holmes (+ Danger) against a Steele + Crouch midfield that should have been much stronger. If Bruhn plays 100% game time he probably has 25+ touches. Dominated the time in forward half, inside 50s and marking game but converted just 15% of entries into goals, and less than 50% into scores. A lot of that can be attributed to the way Ross Lyon coached sides just drag you into a scrap and try and kick a few quick ones to outscore you in the end.

Pros:
  • Danger still has it (also a con in some ways)
  • Jez still might be the best player in the league
  • Dempsey (obviously)
  • Midfield looked great

Cons:
  • Stanley looks slow
  • Couldn't convert inside 50 dominance with a dangerous forwardline
  • Letting St Kilda get that close
  • No Bowes

They were literally dancing in the aisles when they beat us last year. I think it's another one of those one-sided rivalries we seem to have a habit of collecting. Most would have had them heading upwards while we fall of that cliff, so getting done in by us by any margin is a fail.

The worst thing about that it gives them extra firepower to blame a loss on our ground. Which of course they are doing as we speak.

One of the best things about the opening of the Selwood stand is the metaphorical up you to all the verbal diarrhea and pathological envy.
149 mil later and we are here forever, with our "cake tin" ground, advantages etc.
Deal with it morons and pathetic excuse makers!

Did this game feel like two middle of the road teams boxing it out to anyone else?? I honestly took away absolutely nothing from this game in terms of our stance.

To be fair round 1 2011 looked like that too. And most of early 2022 after round 1 we looked pretty ordinary.

I also thought we were very good around the ball and really dominated the first half. It was only our rustiness going forward that meant we didn't put it on the board and gave them chances going the other way. Ross Lyon said as much in his press conference that he thought we "left the gate open" and should've been much further ahead at half time.

Great vision, that fast run down was Rohan/Stewartesque!
Also, Butters was a slow burn. He didnt start out in a blaze of glory, and Port were shite.
He starred in time, with maturity, positional change and better team fortune.
Comparisons not viable this early.
Butters won the ALFCA MVPA award last year as a 22yo. I'm not sure that's exactly a slow burn?

Clark has played one full game at AFL level, so any comparisons are a bit futile. But if he ends up following the trajectory of Butters, we'd be absolutely over the moon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Butters won the ALFCA MVPA award last year as a 22yo. I'm not sure that's exactly a slow burn?

Clark has played one full game at AFL level, so any comparisons are a bit futile. But if he ends up following the trajectory of Butters, we'd be absolutely over the moon.

According to his stats his last two years (includes contract re-signing) were well and truly above his first year in 2019
Other than that I'm not all that interested in him, except to agree that comparisons are futile.
A long bow can be drawn to many 6 year term bulldozer mids from other AFL, teams, but why?.
Flatter him (if deserved) in his own right, i reckon.

Maybe I’m reading to much into this but……

We lost at home last year to the Dogs, who finished 9th.

We just played with a younger team with more scope for improvement, against a team who finished 6th, we were fumbly and kicked inaccurately and had the game on our terms most of the match, and we won. And somehow the take away from the match is that we’ve gone backwards.

Am I missing something?

Rohan has always been underestimated in certain quarters.
He is a flying rock, not as lightweight as 2 Ollies and roaming Cameron.
Would like to see him as sub, which I don't think he's started as for years?

F*ck me, Gary Rohan as sub: that is the perfect idea.

His body always breaks down. He always goes missing during games. He always plays his best footy in bursts. Imagine bringing Rohan on at 3/4 time when you're 4 points down in a do or die match. He'd be quicker than everyone else on the field - due to being fresh.

I absolutely love this idea moving forward.

Just imagine supporting a club where after over 10 years of high draft picks and rebuilding, a close loss is as good as a win to them. Not to mention to a team that’s never bottomed out and won a flag just over a season ago. It’s actually sad

Billings, Gresham, Coffield, all at other clubs now. Clark perennially injured. McCartin retired. Their drafting of high end talent has been absolutely abysmal until recent years.

The worst thing about that it gives them extra firepower to blame a loss on our ground. Which of course they are doing as we speak.

One of the best things about the opening of the Selwood stand is the metaphorical up you to all the verbal diarrhea and pathological envy.
149 mil later and we are here forever, with our "cake tin" ground, advantages etc.
Deal with it morons and pathetic excuse makers!
To some people their team have never lost a fair game - end of the day winners are grinners. 'At home or far away', we've won four premierships this century at the cricket ground up the road against interstate sides and Melbourne based sides. Most opposition supporters have had to put up with two decades of Geelong flogging them wherever the games are played, we could be based on the Moon and we'd still be just as successful as what we have been.

Basically, stuff them.

Late to the thread, but feel that I'm happy enough with that performance whilst also being very frustrated.

Won the centre clearances with Bruhn, Clark, Atkins and Holmes (+ Danger) against a Steele + Crouch midfield that should have been much stronger. If Bruhn plays 100% game time he probably has 25+ touches. Dominated the time in forward half, inside 50s and marking game but converted just 15% of entries into goals, and less than 50% into scores. A lot of that can be attributed to the way Ross Lyon coached sides just drag you into a scrap and try and kick a few quick ones to outscore you in the end.

Pros:
  • Danger still has it (also a con in some ways)
  • Jez still might be the best player in the league
  • Dempsey (obviously)
  • Midfield looked great

Cons:
  • Stanley looks slow
  • Couldn't convert inside 50 dominance with a dangerous forwardline
  • Letting St Kilda get that close
  • No Bowes
All reasonable points, and obviously we're all going to dissect the pros and cons about our gamestyle after round 1, all supporters do it after a long offseason.

But tbh I think early rounds it simply about getting wins. I don't care as much about the style of football we play, just bank the 4 points. If we can get over the line against Adelaide this weekend, then we get an average Hawthorn side and all of a sudden we're 3-0 which puts us in a great spot to be able to iron out some of our issues and manage sore bodies/unexpected injuries without having to try and play catch up.

Not happy Jan.
Culture

To some people their team have never lost a fair game - end of the day winners are grinners. 'At home or far away', we've won four premierships this century at the cricket ground up the road against interstate sides and Melbourne based sides. Most opposition supporters have had to put up with two decades of Geelong flogging them wherever the games are played, we could be based on the Moon and we'd still be just as successful as what we have been.

Basically, stuff them.

Perfectly stated. And moond0g would be there cheering them on. :)
The mythology is insane, starting with the base fact that every team gets an advantage from where they train.
It just boils my wick. Commentators had to mention it several times on Saturday too, nothing changes.

Maybe I’m reading to much into this but……

We lost at home last year to the Dogs, who finished 9th.

We just played with a younger team with more scope for improvement, against a team who finished 6th, we were fumbly and kicked inaccurately and had the game on our terms most of the match, and we won. And somehow the take away from the match is that we’ve gone backwards.

Am I missing something?

No I think you've summarised that quite nicely. Need to add some doomsday spin.

You have to admit though it's hard to be positive having been forced to watch your team play against a Ross Lyon team. 2 hours of just being frustrated

Remove this Banner Ad

Back