Review Geelong defeats Saints by 8 points

Remove this Banner Ad

9 contested isn't bad for a debut
Not even comparing Ollie’s game this weekend. Going back to his debut as number 15 in the rookie draft playing half forward vs number 1 draft pick in the middle. Ollies numbers held up well then. Same disposals. Same contested

Good debut for Harley but…

Just saying…

Attachments

• IMG_7485.png
    IMG_7485.png
    35.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_7484.png
    IMG_7484.png
    37 KB · Views: 46
Not even comparing Ollie’s game this weekend. Going back to his debut as number 15 in the rookie draft playing half forward vs number 1 draft pick in the middle. Ollies numbers held up well then. Same disposals. Same contested

Just saying…
Good debut for Ollie 😍

Simple suggestion.
Since the man on the mark can't move across.
The free kick taker tends to play-on wide.
Position a defender directly behind the kicker.
He can stand 5m away not 10m to the sides.
He can move in with the kicker to maintain 5m
Also coming from the blind spot adds pressure.

AFL Protected Area.jpg

Last edited:
Tactically Frustrated

During pre-season we were told:
Training was shorter but with greater intensity and endurance.
More focus on sprint running. Player has slimed down... etc
New trainers were introducing new techniques, sharpening skills

Went to the game expecting to see an improved game style
Maybe a new faster slicker Cats run and carry game
Hopefully low precisions passing while running full tilt
Perhaps a swift rehearsed orchestrated drill ball transition
Presumably a 15m burst into space then long direct pass
Imaginably players waiting in advance for quick clearance
Possibly some screens or blocks to free-up forwards
Perchance lightning leads to predetermined positions

What did I witness?...
Max Homes ran and bounced the ball a few times.
Danger sprinted and sprayed his kicks
Stewart closed on the contest like lightning
Noticeably nothing new we hadn't see before

However I did see St. Kilda do all of the above
They sped through the corridor in numbers
Created chains of overlapping loose player
Had players waiting in position for long kicks.
I also saw the same from Swans, Lions, and others

Predictable styles can be planned against and shut down
While Cats are -haphazard- ..err.. unpredictable
We make it difficult for other teams... and ourselves
Kittens need structure, Should we be concerned?
Good win by the Saints eh?

Dempsey a lock for the rising star nom this week. Both Windsor and Sanders subbed - no chance they get it with their 15 disposals. McKercher was ok, but did very little with it. Howes probably the only other one I'd consider looking at, or even Jack Carroll if still eligible - otherwise should be Ollie's at 1.01 odds, lol. Reid was not impressive at all.

15 disposals, 3 goals, 2 goal assists, 9 score involvements and 5 inside 50's - not to mention a genuine match winner when it counted. Absolute star in the making.

15 disposals, 3 goals, 2 goal assists, 9 score involvements and 5 inside 50's - not to mention a genuine match winner when it counted. Absolute star in the making.
  • + strong contested marks.
  • + a goal where he sold candy.
  • + we just don’t win without him.

It’s an absolute sure thing unless they are legitimately trying to give it to someone else who has clearly played a worse game or it’s rigged.

Lock it in Eddie.

Looking forward to them reporting about his Bball background.

Just saying…
Don't worry, they'll both be in Cats colours soon enough tearing it up for the decade together!!

Why compare when you can have both?

Dempsey a lock for the rising star nom this week. Both Windsor and Sanders subbed - no chance they get it with their 15 disposals. McKercher was ok, but did very little with it. Howes probably the only other one I'd consider looking at, or even Jack Carroll if still eligible - otherwise should be Ollie's at 1.01 odds, lol. Reid was not impressive at all.

To think he easily could have had 5 too.

Scott mentioned that he'll be kicking those once he gets more accustomed to the level.

I just get the feeling he'll have a game this year that just looks like video game numbers. 25 and 5 sort of thing.

He's done it in the VFL week in week out, and as he's getting more experienced at the level and shaking off the nerves, we're seeing that style in the seniors now too.

I think he’s going ok if he doesn’t have to change direction, or bend down, or leap off the ground, or run fast. I still love him and want him in the team though! :cool:
Just finished watching Q1 right meow.
Hawkins was agile, hard to contests. I do think, happy to be wrong, he’s giving kittens opportunities, he’s an unselfish player + is invested in their improvement, ensuring they have experience. On a few occasions, when kittens were under pressure, he was right there to clear the ball.
Yeah Romeh1, love him, has an important role in the team. He’s a team man, just kick goals Tom, kittens will learn
😻😻😻

These damn old Cats have got no quality youth - that's the problem!

Holmes, Bruhn, Dempsey: get ready for the retirement village.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Holmes, Bruhn, Dempsey, Clark, Bowes, S. Neale, Mullin, Stengle, SDK, Zuthrie, Close, Conway, Miers, Mannagh, O'Sullivan, J. Henry, O. Henry, Clohesy and Knevitt - all 26 and under and all have played at least 1 AFL game.

No quality youth indeed. Suck it critics.

Last edited:

Was always nonsense to those who bothered to do any research, and it'll hopefully become mainstream that is was nonsense pretty soon too.

Hopefully Dempsey getting the rising star nom is the start of that wheel turning.

We've said it on here since the start of last year. If we're not where we want to be, it's off the back of the 26-30 group.

Kids are the best we've had since the early 2000s (not saying they'll reach the same heights, but it's true), and the old guys can't be expected to shoulder the load every week, even though a lot of them are still better than they're given credit for.

Crucial group is Henry, Zuthrie, Atkins, Stengle, Close, Bowes, & Miers, and has been for 18 months.

They don't have to dominate, but if they play at their 2022 level, and some of the youngsters make the leap, we're in for a good year.

When you have an abundance of players in the 22 who can play mid and elsewhere, as we do, it doesn’t matter putting a mid as sub.

Thats a fair point and it is true that they will want hin to play as many afl games as possible this year so sub is probably a part of that as he builds his tank.

I just dont like the idea of any one position player (be it a mid like clark or a kpd or a traditional ruck etc) as sub because i think it can cause tactical issues if you get an early injury.

Just finished watching Q1 right meow.
Hawkins was agile, hard to contests. I do think, happy to be wrong, he’s giving kittens opportunities, he’s an unselfish player + is invested in their improvement, ensuring they have experience. On a few occasions, when kittens were under pressure, he was right there to clear the ball.
Yeah Romeh1, love him, has an important role in the team. He’s a team man, just kick goals Tom, kittens will learn
😻😻😻
Yep- he’s a wonderful team player and such an inclusive player. Hope he plays for ten more years, even if he’s on one leg- his smarts will still be invaluable.

I just dont like the idea of any one position player (be it a mid like clark or a kpd or a traditional ruck etc) as sub because i think it can cause tactical issues if you get an early injury.

I agree. IMO the sub should be a medium-sized utility who you can put basically anywhere. Examples of a suitable 23rd player would be Mitch Knevitt, Mark O'Connor, or Jack Bowes.

To think he easily could have had 5 too.

Scott mentioned that he'll be kicking those once he gets more accustomed to the level.

I just get the feeling he'll have a game this year that just looks like video game numbers. 25 and 5 sort of thing.

He's done it in the VFL week in week out, and as he's getting more experienced at the level and shaking off the nerves, we're seeing that style in the seniors now too.
So happy for the young man.
His praises have been sung and rightly so but what about his ability to find space and isolate - with the superior AFL delivery he’ll be used and will impress even more👍

Jhye is a young player who constantly puts his body on the line. I expect the club will be balancing getting game time in to him with looking out for his physical well being. That will mean he will move in and out of the team over the season. No shame in that.
I’ve seen a few attempt to compare Clark to Butters, a tad early for me but his attack on the footy is similar in that I wonder if he is going to get up half the time! Does not have nearly as much toe as Butters either. Tracking well, will become a fav to most in a year or two.

I’ve seen a few attempt to compare Clark to Butters, a tad early for me but his attack on the footy is similar in that I wonder if he is going to get up half the time! Does not have nearly as much toe as Butters either. Tracking well, will become a fav to most in a year or two.

Mad attack on the ball,absolutely manic. Great full body smother that ended in Camerons spectacular goal.
When you finally shake injury and the selection question, the motivation to grab your chance is enormous.
He'll be even better when he develops some poise, and confidence through constant games.

I'm not sure the scrummy style of game STK played suited Stengel, so I wouldn't write him off just yet. Granted their defence was fairly good, but I felt the saints skills were pretty raw, and reduced us to their level.
I thought the Saints had many more fluent and connected passages of play than us, Sam. With a little more composure they could easily have been 3 goals to the good at ¼ time.

The increased emphasis on tackling pressure was largely responsible for the "scummy" play and both sides contributed to that.

I don't think the Saints would have lost any fans by the way they played, and on a larger ground methinks their run, spread, and overlap will be much harder to combat.

I do wish "Hock" would return to the AFL on loan for a week or two so he can put an end to the unsightly annoying forward half flooding. It's a blot on the game. Legislate that a pre-determined number of players must stay in their forward half when the opposition is attacking.

Last edited:
I do wish "Hock" would return to the AFL on loan for a week or two so he can put an end to the unsightly annoying forward half flooding. It's a blot on the game. Legislate that a pre-determined number of players must stay in their forward half when the opposition is attacking.
A permanent 666 rule that goes all match long? I'd like to see that trialled actually.

No wheelchair seating? Isn’t that illegal?
Kardinia Park has plenty of Wheelchair and carer seating scattered through out.

DISABLED AND CARER/COMPANION SEATING
faq-less.svg

There is disabled and carer/companion seating available throughout the venue in different locations, subject to availability.
Disabled seating is located in the following sections:
The Reg Hickey Stand
All disabled seating is undercover and is located on Level A which can be accessed via the north and south ramps from both Gate 1 – Polly Farmer and Gate 5 – Bernie Smith
(28 wheelchair spaces and 28 carer/companion seats available)
The Premiership Stand
All disabled seating is accessible via Level 1 and can be reached by entering Gate 5 – Bernie Smith, Gate 8 – Doug Wade and/or Gate 13 – Bob Davis and taking the lift(s) to level 1
(18 spaces and 18 carer/companion seats available)

The Players Stand

All disabled seating is located on Level 1 and is accessible by entering Gate 5 – Bernie Smith or Gate 8 – Doug Wade and taking the lift(s) to level 1
(57 spaces and 57 carer/companion seats)
Brownlow Stand
The disabled seating is accessible for both public and corporate guests – all located within the Level 1 seating bowl. These can be reached by entering Gate 13 – Bob Davis and taking the lift(s) to Level 1 (or 2 for the corporate spaces)
(22 spaces and 22 carer/companion seats for the public sector; and
17 spaces and 17 carer/companion seats for the corporate guests)

For Major Events such as AFL, we recommend you pre-book your ticket via Ticketmaster by calling the accessible seating line on 1300 446 925 or via the Geelong Cats Membership Services team on 1300 462 287.
Patrons with companion cards must present the companion card when purchasing a ticket to Major Events at GMHBA Stadium. For more information about Companion Cards visit www.companioncard.org.au

By my quick maths. 142 disabled and 142 carer seats available.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back