Review Geelong defeats Saints by 8 points

Remove this Banner Ad

In front of 39352 we got the 4 points.

Wont want to have a season of games with skills like that as it was an ugly one and 10.16 wont win you many games.

Need to improve on taking our chances and will need to play better than that

Great to get the win with Joel in the house and the Stand being opened.

The good -
Holmes, Bruhn, Dempsey, Atkins, Zuthrie, Jezza, Stew, Blitz. Clark was massively impressive

Needed the leaders to stand up, and PFD did at the end but some older blokes were not so flash.

2E, Stengle, Stanley we not much chop. Thought SDK was not as bad as some said.
OH was underdone and it showed.

4 points is 4 points and ill take it but lots to improve on.

GO Catters

Glad to get the 4 points, I thought we were the better team. Frustrating game but lots of positives. Really liked Bruhns game and I've had my reservations. Dempsey very good and I've had reservations.
Saints frustrating to play against, made forward entries painful but I'm confident our forward line is good so glad we could get it in so often.

He had a good game but not sure of the point of playing Max Holmes at half back if we're still reduced to kicking long down the line over and over and over again.

Last edited:
Are they good any good, or are we crap? - that is the question.

I was very confident going into this round but we only just got the 4 points at home. Lots of empty seats. Might have gone differently away from Kardinia Park.

Poor field kicking for large parts of the game almost cost us.

Clangerfield tried hard and got the winning goal, but some of his disposals are hard to watch. Not Robinsoe Crusoe tonight, though.

Stanley looked well beaten in the ruck but did ok around the ground.

Ollie Dempsey looks better than ok.

Jezza was excellent.

Kolo was a mixed bag but did some good things.

SDK still lacking the poise he had in 2022.

Haven't looked at the stats yet but Bruhn seemed to be getting heaps of the ball.

Stengel, where was he?

Played relatively poorly and beat a lower middling team. Lots to reflect on for the coach and his team.

That was a cauldron. Loudest I've ever heard Kardinia Park.

SDK looked rusty as all hell.
Holmes is the leader of the next gen.
Jhye goes in bloody hard but needs to tidy up disposal.

Lastly, * Ross Lyon and his s**t football.
They employed the dinosaur.... TWICE

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tonight's Dempsey started clearly nervous, same as previous afl games he's had. After that goal his nerves steadied and he played like he does in the vfl.

I was always convinced he just needed one good game in the seniors to build the confidence.

He faded, but I think he'll find consistency in game.

Soak it up CHAWKTS

Some promising signs albeit I doubt we will challenge for top 6 this year.

Really happy with the younger crew - Dempsey in particular showed he will emerge this year to be a very handy forward. Another guy that can hit the scoreboard.

Just need to keep Holmes. He will be our best mid by the end of this year.

Danger looks terrific. Had some very good moments.

Thought Z.Guthrie was our best back. Was composed and made good decisions all night.

SDK and Close were the 2 main disappointments for mine. Both had poor seasons last year. Haven’t started thid years any better.

Typical Ross Lyon footy. The guy is a genius at coming up with game plans that will never stand up in finals. The slingshot thing in the first half is just never going to stand up when it matters. Jhye Clark physically bullied them in the first half. Imagine what a midfield of Bartel, Corey, Kelly etc would have done to them physically.

We had the chance to break their neck a couple of times and didn't take it which made it closer than it should have been.

Holmes, Bruhn and Clark were all good in the first 3 quarters, gassed a bit at the end and required Danger to step up and drag us over the line.

Dempsey was great.

Ollie Henry has a habit of not doing much in games but bobbing up in Q4 with a couple of critical plays.

Take the W and move on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back