Game Day Cats v Hawks QF

Remove this Banner Ad

This game just reinforced to me what a huge mistake it was to try and throw our gameplan out the window. There is/was nothing wrong with it. Personnel is all that needed changing to apply it with more skillful/attacking players. When it comes to the crunch, old fashioned hard football still wins finals. There was nothing pretty about this game.

And suck s**t Hawthorn. I simply can not barrack for them. Their sniping players and Bruce's love affair with Poppy and Cyril far outweighs Selwood and Scott. I like a lot of the Geelong players such as Lonergan, Taylor, Enright, Bartel ... much rather they win another flag than Hawthorn.

This game just reinforced to me what a huge mistake it was to try and throw our gameplan out the window. There is/was nothing wrong with it. Personnel is all that needed changing to apply it with more skillful/attacking players. When it comes to the crunch, old fashioned hard football still wins finals. There was nothing pretty about this game.

And suck s**t Hawthorn. I simply can not barrack for them. Their sniping players and Bruce's love affair with Poppy and Cyril far outweighs Selwood and Scott. I like a lot of the Geelong players such as Lonergan, Taylor, Enright, Bartel ... much rather they win another flag than Hawthorn.
Exactly what came into my mind too. Yeah at times during the season, we can get negative and not kick goals for a quarter, but we still restrict the opposition to a low score regardless. So what if fans want 'sexy football', can't have it both way. This brand of football holds up in FINALS! It's where the games are won. 2012/13 showed exactly that. We played our best footy at the right time with the players peaking. Hopefully Ross analyses this and realize that perhaps such a significant change isn't necessary in terms of game plan and focus back onto pre season and fitness rather then skills. The more fitter the players are, the better they ll get at skills. Clearly hampered the team this season.

this is going to be an amazing september/october and we arent apart of it :(

I'm still annoyed we're not part of it but honestly, this finals series doesn't excite me. I'm a little too disillusioned with the AFL at present to give two shits about this finals series.

Holy s**t that was ******* epic!

Managed to avoid spoilers while I was at work and just finished watching the recording. What a great game, what a great finish.

Suck it Hawthorn, you entitled knobs. Loving this finals series so far!

Nah, the Cats play a mix of that traditional running handball stuff of theirs - which we've actually done quite a bit of at times this year, rather than our more dour stoppage grinding stuff... Having someone like Hawkins as a target and having possibly the two best contested ball mids (bar Fyfe) in the comp, both of whom are fast and can kick (excepting Danger's weekly D.Pearce moment), that allows them to get away with it. And yet a declining Hawthorn side was a single kick away from beating them, on a 50 contested possession deficit and a man down!

Sure we could build up the list and go back to the old game. But that game failed to deliver a premiership at St Kilda, who had an arguably more talented list than our 2013 side. It failed here. And it failed against the Hawks, who just won 3 in a row with their chip kicking zone stuff. It works wonders against the Cats old game plan which Lyon had to deal with at the Saints, but it falls down heavily when you bring the uncontested marking style into the equation.

Add to that, the AFL has been quite explicit in trying to curb the stoppage heavy pressure stuff we were doing before. And they'll go even further if it makes a resurgence.

We have to rebuild anyway, regardless of what game we play. Let's at least try and go in the direction the game seems to be moving. Contested ball will take care of itself when guys like Fyfe and Neale are on the list.

Sure we could build up the list and go back to the old game. But that game failed to deliver a premiership at St Kilda, who had an arguably more talented list than our 2013 side. It failed here. And it failed against the Hawks

The relevant comparison is not betwen St Kilda's list and and Freo's list in 2013; it's between them and their respective GF opponents. The discrepancy in skill, class, experience and (in Geelong's case) strength was so massively in the opponents' favour, it's a testament to the brilliance of the game plan that in each case it placed the underdog team it was designed for in a position to win the premiership right down to the wire.

Who can forget this headline?

286414_12cb1af699027049a2d6372ea516c216.png

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...2013-grand-final/story-fni5f6su-1226828172594

That's the genius of the game plan.

By the way, Ross's IP delivered to Geelong via Simon LLoyd has had a huge influience on their resurgence, as commentators have not failed to note.

I also disagree with the caricature of Ross as someone who's stuck to the one outdated old game - what you refer to as "the stoppage heavy pressure stuff we were doing before". During our winning streak in 2015, when we played all the best teams and won, Freo were one of the lowest stoppage and lowest tackling teams in the League.

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-10_5-32-13.png
    upload_2016-9-10_5-32-13.png
    146.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Exactly what came into my mind too. Yeah at times during the season, we can get negative and not kick goals for a quarter, but we still restrict the opposition to a low score regardless. So what if fans want 'sexy football', can't have it both way. This brand of football holds up in FINALS! It's where the games are won. 2012/13 showed exactly that. We played our best footy at the right time with the players peaking. Hopefully Ross analyses this and realize that perhaps such a significant change isn't necessary in terms of game plan and focus back onto pre season and fitness rather then skills. The more fitter the players are, the better they ll get at skills. Clearly hampered the team this season.
Sexy football will always be something for neutrals. Fans will prefer their team winning...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All this revert back to old game plan is a joke, other sport change their formation during game time if thing dont work. Successful coach know what to do and be flexible.

The relevant comparison is not betwen St Kilda's list and and Freo's list in 2013; it's between them and their respective GF opponents. The discrepancy in skill, class, experience and (in Geelong's case) strength was so massively in the opponents' favour, it's a testament to the brilliance of the game plan that in each case it placed the underdog team it was designed for in a position to win the premiership right down to the wire.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...2013-grand-final/story-fni5f6su-1226828172594

By the way, Ross's IP delivered to Geelong via Simon LLoyd has had a huge influience on their resurgence, as commentators have not failed to note.

I also disagree with the caricature of Ross as someone who's stuck to the one outdated old game - what you refer to as "the stoppage heavy pressure stuff we were doing before". During our winning streak in 2015, when we played all the best teams and won, Freo were one of the lowest stoppage and lowest tackling teams in the League.
All this makes me wonder if this season was orchestrated, at least to a degree.

Yep. As stated the list needed to be improved with skill, speed and smarts. The best way of getting a player with all 3 qualities is an early draft pick.
Younger player got more hunger to learn also . Basically the first two year they are playing for their contract.

Last edited:
Just watched the last 2 mins again i still got the heart in my mouth feeling watching the hawks go straight up the middle from that last kick out, what id give for someone who could transition properly in our team

Just watched the last 2 mins again i still got the heart in my mouth feeling watching the hawks go straight up the middle from that last kick out, what id give for someone who could transition properly in our team

They are an amazing team and when you think no Roughead or Cegular it's quite achievement, can't see them winning it though IMO the dogs speed will get them.

They are an amazing team and when you think no Roughead or Cegular it's quite achievement, can't see them winning it though IMO the dogs speed will get them.
With a men down too. Ryan burton . I think dog will be easy for hawthorn. Bulldog injuries will get to them at the wrong time.

Agree.

And I'm still trying to figure out how the f*** Smith was allowed to stand 30m out almost directly in front with no one within 20m of him.

In my defence i was drunk at 3am when i wrote that. And i don't think i disagree with anything you say there.

Agree with you about Ross, he had shown he is adaptable. Don't think i was caricaturing him as such. What i was more getting at was the idea that pure contested ball and manic pressure circa 13 plan is one that is workable going forward - the idea we never should move away from it.

And as you say it's the list as well. You'll get no argument that that game style allowed a less talented list to come close. I've said that before and it's an idea i agree with. But the notion that we should aim for that? Nah. And i think building a more skilled list then trying to play in a manner that doesn't play to the strength of a skilled list? Again nah.

I mean look at GWS today. Smashing a team whose strength ostensibly lies in that contested ball area.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back