Census 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Out of all this is the poor leadership from politicians and the head of the ABS, blaming hackers is the weakest excuse available, as someone said whenever someone does an abusive facebook or twitter post, it is always blamed on 'hackers', heads should roll, another thing, how many people today said 'stuff it, wont bother with the census after last nights debacle'?, so in essence the whole exercise is compromised, another waste of money down the gurgler.
I don't know why anyone does it seriously.

Make up any name write total s**t and hit send.

Give it the respect they give us back.

Name and address was compulsory this time, with the threat of fines, whereas previously it was voluntary.

all fields (including name and address) have always been compulsory (if relevant). the only special box in our lives that ever got a veto was religious belief. fines have always existed, too.

I did my census without any issues at 6pm, however on reflection I can't recall any question, other than my religion which was optional, that I don't answer every single year on my tax return.

Can't the ABS and and ATO shake hands and communicate?

Privacy laws make it difficult for government agencies and departments to share such information between them. It's often an issue when one government agency knows or suspects that a child is at risk but can't disclose that information to another agency (eg., the police) due to privacy restrictions.

Change the law.

We have no privacy these days anyway. May as well let the various Government departments share information.

Besides, a lot of departments already share person information; AEC, ATO, CSA etc.

what information does the census collect that they can't get from taxation records, medicare records and mygov etc?
Welcome to the thread :rolleyes:

Prefilled mine out and submitted it at the crack of dawn on Tuesday, I work in IT and thus had a feeling the website would be thrashed from midday and ultimately brought down. Complete chaos.

And for those who have privacy concerns: I hope you dont use Facebook!
I work in IT, so I submitted my data before the website got hacked.

Makes sense........

I work in IT, so I submitted my data before the website got hacked.

Makes sense........
The website wasn't hacked, it simply couldn't handle a high volume of people trying to submit at the same time. The so called hacking from outside Australia was likely users who run through a VPN refreshing a lot trying to submit their forms. No intentional Denial of Service attack.

And that was the point of my post. I work in IT, I have understanding of routers, servers, and clients. I had a feeling 10 million+ people submitting their census online would bring the site down, or make it hard to submit.

all fields (including name and address) have always been compulsory (if relevant). the only special box in our lives that ever got a veto was religious belief. fines have always existed, too.
People always had the ability to opt in to have their name and address kept, this is the first time the ABS has said it is compulsory, and they will be retaining it for four years. It really is the primary basis for the concerns.

That said, it seems like the fine would be pretty easy to get around, especially if you have more than one adult in the house. It was shown that they had fined almost 1000 people in years gone by though.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The website wasn't hacked, it simply couldn't handle a high volume of people trying to submit at the same time. The so called hacking from outside Australia was likely users who run through a VPN refreshing a lot trying to submit their forms. No intentional Denial of Service attack.

And that was the point of my post. I work in IT, I have understanding of routers, servers, and clients. I had a feeling 10 million+ people submitting their census online would bring the site down, or make it hard to submit.
The blame shifting and mixed messages is interesting to observe.

Surely the ABS must have been advised by the ahem IT expert community, that there was a huge risk to its plan

Turnbull was on the TV the other night claiming the census website was "unhackable". He may have just said do your worst.

He has overseen a movement to boycott, an easily foreseeable capacity issue for online completion, and one of the poorest communication programs of the statistical significance and importance of the census ever witnessed.

Anyone who hopes the next 3 years of Government will be more competent than the previous 3 should take this as a warning.

We need to come to a consensus (ha!) about what the word "hacker" means.

Twitter hacked = left account logged in on public computer.
Sony Hacked = someone bypasses security to steal credit card information.

Both get the same headline, only one of them is hacking.

The ABS wasn't hacked.

Conspiracy by people who want to abandon the census?

Amazing that a people who queue up to be breathylised, submit tax returns every year, should act all revolutionary about the most innocuous government thing

Conspiracy by people who want to abandon the census?

Amazing that a people who queue up to be breathylised, submit tax returns every year, should act all revolutionary about the most innocuous government thing
They changed the census with hardly any explanation so that the 'snapshots' would now be connected together and consequently the Govt would have far more detail about our life-long lives. A breathalyser doesn't do that. It's hard to not think this change was related to a desire to change welfare rules or help national security or something, but it was never explained well. They compromised the entire enterprise and tried to sneak it past us. Uncool.
And for those who have privacy concerns: I hope you dont use Facebook!
If a company wants access to customers, I believe Facebook has greater privacy that the ABS in terms of how they encrypt those people's identifiers.

They changed the census with hardly any explanation so that the 'snapshots' would now be connected together and consequently the Govt would have far more detail about our life-long lives. A breathalyser doesn't do that. It's hard to not think this change was related to a desire to change welfare rules or help national security or something, but it was never explained well. They compromised the entire enterprise and tried to sneak it past us. Uncool.

If a company wants access to customers, I believe Facebook has greater privacy that the ABS in terms of how they encrypt those people's identifiers.
The fact that they have not tried to explain, and in some cases avoid explaining, the nature of these statistical linkage keys is concerning.

Never underestimate how stupid the population is at times.

continued mission creep with the census, it was historical anonymous and marketed as such now it's defect Australia card with the assignment of a long term personal id number linked to your data. There has not even been a debate in parliament. Surely in a democracy such a change should have been debated at some level. The Government is combining government databases and putting an ID number to the census data combing all government data is pretty much on the cards. next they will be selling it on.

The Government has plenty of things it won't tell us about it's all commercial in confidence. I'll trust the government a bit more if it trusted me with their data.

Last edited:
British census has not been anonymous but the results didn't come into public domain for 90 years.

Their biggest controversy was in 1911, when the suffragette movement objected to personal questions about number of children, alive or dead.

In truth those folk didn't know it yet, but they had far more to fear from events of the years 1914-18 and beyond

We need to come to a consensus (ha!) about what the word "hacker" means.

Twitter hacked = left account logged in on public computer.
Sony Hacked = someone bypasses security to steal credit card information.

Both get the same headline, only one of them is hacking.

The ABS wasn't hacked.
The comment that it was the fourth attempt to hack it a complete lie, I doubt anyone even bothered to attempt to hack it. As D.O.B. was voluntary, so anyone who did that is an idiot, it meant that the rest of the information in the census was actually not really all that useful to anyone except government planners as it wouldn't help with identity theft.

My bet is some idiot in the ABS when thinking of peak use time was expecting it to be a bit more spread out over the evening and others to do it the next day. But what happened was after dinner everyone decided that they wanted to do it, hence the crash at the time it did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back