Hawk Dork

Hall of Famer
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Shouldnt be easy to live on government handouts....sell the car and catch public transport, will give you a few months respite. Why are you paying $1200 rent? Move to a cheaper suburb/town and or get others to live with you etc......

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk
how does this theory work in regional Australia with no public transport and already low rents ?

Gethelred

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Shouldnt be easy to live on government handouts....sell the car and catch public transport, will give you a few months respite. Why are you paying $1200 rent? Move to a cheaper suburb/town and or get others to live with you etc......

But how are you to get a job picking fruit or in a regional abbattoir if you don't have a car?

:rolleyes:

Bombermania

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2007
Counting premiership cups
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon

Cheaper places usually have higher unemployment and isn't there rules against moving to areas of higher unemployment because when Howard was PM there was talk of having those kind of rules to stop people going to places with high unemployment because it was thought they were doing it because it was easier to avoid looking for work.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ferball

Premium Platinum
Jul 24, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Given the traditional rentagospel distaste for other faiths it always strikes me as odd to see Scummo working cheek by jowl with a Jew, he seems to accept evolution too despite being told to think that the earth is only two thousand years old. When you look at it, he actually sounds like he's a sh*t christian on top of being sh*t at everything else I'm starting to think even his faith might just be a PR stunt.
Scotty from marketing...

Satan's Little Helper.

SaintsSeptember

Hall of Famer
Mar 19, 2008
Narre Warren North
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Cheaper places usually have higher unemployment and isn't there rules against moving to areas of higher unemployment because when Howard was PM there was talk of having those kind of rules to stop people going to places with high unemployment because it was thought they were doing it because it was easier to avoid looking for work.
Last time i checked it didn't make a difference if you were working in the CBD and living in South Yarra , or living in Sunshine.
Yes remote country areas can be cheaper.

Rotayjay

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide

The policy is currently suspended but due to come back in eventually. Moving between the major cities of Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth is no questions asked, but anything else could result in a lengthy penalty period if the new area has a significantly higher unemployment rate. I think the idea was to stop someone from taking up a 'comfortable' residence in a rural area with cheap rent and no jobs.

GreyCrow

TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Redskins , White Sox

The policy is currently suspended but due to come back in eventually. Moving between the major cities of Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth is no questions asked, but anything else could result in a lengthy penalty period if the new area has a significantly higher unemployment rate. I think the idea was to stop someone from taking up a 'comfortable' residence in a rural area with cheap rent and no jobs.
IPA 'plenty of jobs in the country - go fruitpicking''

Government ' if you move to an area not urban you may be penalised''

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
Even as a leftist I'm not entirely sold on the idea of UBI, however in my opinion it's inevitable. You can smell it coming - give it 20 to 70 years to be implemented in Australia. I'm guessing Australia will hold out longer than most of the OECD and introduce it in about 2060.
Futurists reckon that AI will take a majority of the jobs by 2040 in the US (some think 2030).

Australia will hold out for as long as it can, because the population is inherently cautious and conservative, plus we've never really been ones to lead the line in terms of innovation, but given how fast-paced the world has become I expect the same thing to happen here by 2050.

It's difficult for me to tell how competent the government of the day will be - given current trends, my guess is not competent enough to avert a major short-to-medium term crisis, but probably just about competent enough to implement some sort of half-baked scheme that will do just enough to stop the country from transforming into a glorified Brazil, if not the US. Australians are (luckily) not as violent or radicalised as Americans are (and will be even more in the future), so the population will largely muddle on through.

Chief

Chugging Adrenochrome
Dec 1, 1999
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
Futurists reckon that AI will take a majority of the jobs by 2040 in the US (some think 2030).

Australia will hold out for as long as it can, because the population is inherently cautious and conservative, plus we've never really been ones to lead the line in terms of innovation, but given how fast-paced the world has become I expect the same thing to happen here by 2050.

It's difficult for me to tell how competent the government of the day will be - given current trends, my guess is not competent enough to avert a major short-to-medium term crisis, but probably just about competent enough to implement some sort of half-baked scheme that will do just enough to stop the country from transforming into a glorified Brazil, if not the US. Australians are (luckily) not as violent or radicalised as Americans are (and will be even more in the future), so the population will largely muddle on through.
I think we're all the same humans, so the same conditions elsewhere would bring about the same or similar result here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FRUMPY

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Had a phone appointment with my corrections officer this morning (sorry, JSP consultant).

She literally pointed out that if I was serious about a job there were many vacancies in rural abbatoirs and in horticultural harvesting.

Not sure if srs, reading from a script, or just pulling my leg.
Just spoke with a chef at a restaurant, he can't get someone to work for him as a waiter - they all just want jobseeker. People don't turn up for interview and one guy he just hired today and then an hour later called up saying he can't work fri-sun nights......

He reckons restaurants/hospitality are crying out for workers.......

Rotayjay

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Had a phone appointment with my corrections officer this morning (sorry, JSP consultant).

She literally pointed out that if I was serious about a job there were many vacancies in rural abbatoirs and in horticultural harvesting.

Not sure if srs, reading from a script, or just pulling my leg.
All of the above. They meet their KPIs and get paid by the Department of Employment by 'placing' as many people as possible in jobs, whether they are full time, casual or temporary. According to ABC News, before the pandemic struck those places got about half their revenue from the initial sign-up fees and half from placing people in jobs.

The perfect client for them is one who signs up, gets a job, keeps it for one year so they get the 'kept job' bonus, and then loses the job and signs up with that provider again.

Bombermania

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2007
Counting premiership cups
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon
Just spoke with a chef at a restaurant, he can't get someone to work for him as a waiter - they all just want jobseeker. People don't turn up for interview and one guy he just hired today and then an hour later called up saying he can't work fri-sun nights......

I call bull sh*t on these stories because the workforce participation rate has remained flat.

If these issues are real then the government would tie the higher welfare payments to turning up to work.

Ghost Patrol

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond

Chef needs to offer better money and/or conditions.

Rotayjay

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
If the work is stressful and crappy, and the pay is low or illegal, then people won't do it. That's the beloved free market doing its work.

Newsflash: there will always be bludgers. Expecting people to survive on $350 per week (including Rent Assistance) is not the answer to bludgers, it is divisive and inhumane.

So sick of these people whingeing about how hard they work and how the dole is too comfortable. Try it you idiots. I've been there and it is not pleasant.

FRUMPY

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
If the work is stressful and crappy, and the pay is low or illegal, then people won't do it. That's the beloved free market doing its work.

Newsflash: there will always be bludgers. Expecting people to survive on $350 per week (including Rent Assistance) is not the answer to bludgers, it is divisive and inhumane.

So sick of these people whingeing about how hard they work and how the dole is too comfortable. Try it you idiots. I've been there and it is not pleasant.
It's not meant to be pleasant.....

Chief

Chugging Adrenochrome
Dec 1, 1999
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton

Raise wages? Raise prices to compensate?

FRUMPY

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Raise wages? Raise prices to compensate?
He just reckons those who would normally be waiters were out of a job (casuals I presume), now get as much on jobseeker or there abouts as they probably would for a normal week so aren't interested in working. Could probably earn a bit more if they worked bit not worth the hours involved for a little bit more income.

Reckons normally puts an ad out for a job he gets 300 replies/enquiries, now gets 20 or 30

Chief

Chugging Adrenochrome
Dec 1, 1999
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
He just reckons those who would normally be waiters were out of a job (casuals I presume), now get as much on jobseeker or there abouts as they probably would for a normal week so aren't interested in working. Could probably earn a bit more if they worked bit not worth the hours involved for a little bit more income.

Reckons normally puts an ad out for a job he gets 300 replies/enquiries, now gets 20 or 30

20 or 30 replies? What is the problem then?

FRUMPY

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
20 or 30 replies? What is the problem then?
Because they apparently are the type who apply for a job that is wed-sun and then say they can't work fri-sun......

Probably tick it off as a job interview so they can get government handouts......

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad