eddiesmith

TheBrownDog
Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
I had a very strange call from a hiring manager last year for a job I applied for. It was in the country as if moved up there but all my experience is in Melbourne so they called to ask if I knew where the job was actually located...

My address for the application was clearly nearby to the job but whatever. Didn’t get an interview and whoever they hired was possibly no good as the job was up for grabs again 6 months later!

SaintsSeptember

Hall of Famer
Mar 19, 2008
Narre Warren North
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Genuine question.

Any particular reason you're posting in this thread ?
TBH this thread was originally about how Centerlink as an entity performed, rather than the government's rules for how much welfare people were provided with or whether they should be trying to get a job or not.

I think the consensus was that they sucked.
Million dollar question being do they suck on purpose.

Bombermania

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2007
Counting premiership cups
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon
I had a very strange call from a hiring manager last year for a job I applied for. It was in the country as if moved up there but all my experience is in Melbourne so they called to ask if I knew where the job was actually located...

My address for the application was clearly nearby to the job but whatever. Didn’t get an interview and whoever they hired was possibly no good as the job was up for grabs again 6 months later!
That story isn't a surprise because i know someone who applied for a job in Melbourne that they had experience doing but they were rejected because the recruiter insisted that the experience had to be in Melbourne.

yodellinhank

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 22, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Essendon
No, I did not apply for that one. Ethical issues.

Similar role in a cheese factory in the northern suburbs, holding out a bit of hope for that.
What were the ethical concerns about, overfishing?

Hopefully you get the cheese gig. Mate of mine worked off and on in something similar in the North of the state. Big employer up there. Think he's back there again actually.

Rotayjay

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
TBH this thread was originally about how Centerlink as an entity performed, rather than the government's rules for how much welfare people were provided with or whether they should be trying to get a job or not.

I think the consensus was that they sucked.
Million dollar question being do they suck on purpose.
Yes they suck on purpose, because the Coalition hates welfare and fixing welfare isn't much of a vote-winner for Labor.

Hawk Dork

Hall of Famer
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
We know from Deloitte analysis that going back to the old rate would cost the economy $31.3 billion and 145,000 full-time jobs over the next two years,” Dr Goldie said.

Rotayjay

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Still think they could do the same crap job cheaper.
Like they could replace the staff with chimpanzee's but then they'd need to find jobs for the staff.
Much of the call centre and processing work has been outsourced to low-paid employees in private call centres these days so make of that what you will.

Centrelink literally has a Master Plan to take them from 2020 to 2025. The stated aims are to make it simple, helpful, respectful and transparent. At least they know what they are starting from.

Simple? It's needlessly complicated.

Helpful? Low rates of $40 per day and staff who often cannot do anything to help anything.

Respectful? Robodebt.

Transparent? Good joke, tell another one!

Last edited:

Over The Post

Quarantine Chimp
Nov 17, 2007
Bikini Atoll
AFL Club
Richmond

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sorted

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham, West Ham, Real Betis
Apparently, because of the lockdowns last year in Victoria there is a big shortage of driving instructors. You have to complete a Certificate IV in Transport and Logistics (Road Transport – Car Driving Instruction) (TLI41218). Plus Working With Children Check because many learners will be under 18.

Dry Rot

My hat is better than yours
Feb 21, 2002
Hawaii
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Interesting hypocrisy here by ScoMo's govt.

Jobseeker folk who make genuine mistakes get hounded mercilessly, Robodebts etc

Businesess who make genuine mistakes with Jobkeeper do not

IPA backs ATO decision not to claw back $50 million in JobKeeper payments made in error

Crusey

Senior List
May 1, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Started the NEIS small business course today

Was supposed to be 2 days a week for 5 weeks (Via Microsoft teams)

Apparently in the last few days the government have told NEIS providers to change the timetabling and its now one day a week for 13 weeks

Crusey

Senior List
May 1, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Apparently the payment doesnt change from Jobseeker to NEIS until you've completed the course and extending it to 13 weeks seems weird

Interested to see what happens with mutual obligations etc ... as I assume I'm free from them for the next 13 weeks

Over The Post

Quarantine Chimp
Nov 17, 2007
Bikini Atoll
AFL Club
Richmond
They've changed it then, the very first day of the NEIS course we filled in forms and trooped down to Centrelink as a class, they phoned ahead so we didn't have to wait and were seen by one person familiar with the job. 99.99% certain you'll be fine for the exemption, but we are dealing with Centrelink here.

Just had a look at the DESE website and like Bunnings it has everything except the information you actually need. I saw nothing about payments only starting once the course was finished, only about having to meet NEIS obligations (meet with your mentors, do your paperwork on time).

They may be going through a loophole, the payment is (up to) 39 weeks from the start of your business. The service provider may be taking the road that training doesn't count as business, therefore you get 13 weeks of jobseeker and the 39 weeks starts at the end of the course. Pure speculation on my part.

Rotayjay

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Apparently the payment doesnt change from Jobseeker to NEIS until you've completed the course and extending it to 13 weeks seems weird

Interested to see what happens with mutual obligations etc ... as I assume I'm free from them for the next 13 weeks
Likely exempt but you can call Centrelink (and give up 45 minutes) to check whether there is an exemption on your file.

Rotayjay

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Rumour has it that the Jobseeker Payment will get a permanent boost and they will scrap most of the miserly 'supplements'. They will keep Jobseeker recipients hanging for a few more weeks before announcing their decision of what to do. Significant chance the government will simply say 'What? Of course the Coronavirus Supplement is ending and it will revert to the old rate - we said all along that the boost was temporary!'

Over The Post

Quarantine Chimp
Nov 17, 2007
Bikini Atoll
AFL Club
Richmond

Report based on research carried out 18 months to two years ago, and excluded Bundaberg / Hervey Bay.

Just keep the waters muddied enough to allow Indue to keep sucking at that teat for an indefinite trial period.

******* sociopathic idealogues.

SaintsSeptember

Hall of Famer
Mar 19, 2008
Narre Warren North
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams

Report based on research carried out 18 months to two years ago, and excluded Bundaberg / Hervey Bay.

Just keep the waters muddied enough to allow Indue to keep sucking at that teat for an indefinite trial period.

******* sociopathic idealogues.
At 80% you could have as little as $100 cash per fortnight ( plenty for second hand shoes, not so much for second hand tyres or furniture ) . They would probably need to increase the cash component for it to work past a trial.
In fact it would probably need to be tailor made for each recipient so that the card really only had enough for the weekly essentials - Groceries, Rent , Utilities.
I don't mind it as a concept, however it could already be obsolete.
We want low income people to be able to make the most of their money, and that means online shopping. We want people in remote area's to be able to purchase things they need without having a Bunnings or BigW on every corner. That also means online shopping.
If the card was able to work with PayPal, it wouldn't be hard for the local "Booze R Us " store to install paypal facilities and make the whole thing useless.

Gethelred

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
At 80% you could have as little as $100 cash per fortnight ( plenty for second hand shoes, not so much for second hand tyres or furniture ) . They would probably need to increase the cash component for it to work past a trial.
In fact it would probably need to be tailor made for each recipient so that the card really only had enough for the weekly essentials - Groceries, Rent , Utilities.
I don't mind it as a concept, however it could already be obsolete.
We want low income people to be able to make the most of their money, and that means online shopping. We want people in remote area's to be able to purchase things they need without having a Bunnings or BigW on every corner. That also means online shopping.
If the card was able to work with PayPal, it wouldn't be hard for the local "Booze R Us " store to install paypal facilities and make the whole thing useless.
The problem becomes, how can they know that the recipient is purchasing alcohol/smokes with the cash stipend rather than using it where it should go?

It's stupid, because without receipts they can't know.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad