Father Jack

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 23, 2006
between hope and reality
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
And they're ramping up the 'mutual obligation' bullshit, which will no doubt offset the rise by having more people fall foul of the system and get their benefits cut. But of course these millions of jobs that dole bludgers turn down a year will now get filled :rolleyes:

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
Drum roll please ... the Jobseeker Payment will permanently rise by $25 per week.

What an utterly disgraceful decision. This was deliberately designed to tick a box and say that 'look at us, we listened' while the actual increase is so small as to be meaningless. Twenty five bucks will pay for a few more meals or a bit of fuel, but it is almost nothing in the broader context.

******* disgusting campaigners. No care for the Australian people whatsoever.
It was a fine exercise in tokenism.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

nobbyiscool

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 11, 2006
Democratic People's Republic of Victoria
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Raiders/TasTigers/MV/Iggles
All $25 a week shows is "we've listened to people and we get there's a problem - we just don't care."

Either fix or don't. But don't expect a pat on the back for telling people that you don't value them.

$290 a week the Social Services Minister will get as an allowance for staying in Canberra tonight, even if she stays with a friend, in her own house, or in a backpackers.

hamohawk1

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
And they're ramping up the 'mutual obligation' bullshit, which will no doubt offset the rise by having more people fall foul of the system and get their benefits cut. But of course these millions of jobs that dole bludgers turn down a year will now get filled :rolleyes:
I'm sure organisations can't wait to be flooded with 1000's of useless applications.

This is going to make everyones jobs harder, except for the government.

hamohawk1

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Gives them a headline ...but we are raising it $50 a fortnight as they cut $150 a fortnight

Everyone was saying it needs to increase at least $50 a week so they halved it for spite and to harvest the dole bludger wedge vote
If you're unemployed, or a recently employed person after spending time unemployed you would be out of your brain to vote for the libs. But sure enough, a vast portion do.

Rotayjay

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
If you're unemployed, or a recently employed person after spending time unemployed you would be out of your brain to vote for the libs. But sure enough, a vast portion do.
Too many ******* idiots fooled by that spectacled goose saying 'yada yada yada, Bill's gunna have higha taxes and take away ya utes!'

If you have any kind of social conscience, any concept of the fair go, or know anyone who is struggling to find work ... don't vote for the Coalition please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rotayjay

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
The thing that perhaps angers me most is that it's all well and good for them to be on two hundred grand per year (being an MP is long and hard hours I know) but a person looking for work is supposed to survive on $375 per week with rent assistance. And the reason is that they 'ought' to be taking some low-paid job in awful conditions for their business-owning mate who probably does not pay the minimum wage anyway. 'I've had SO MUCH TROUBLE hiring good staff!' Yeah and now you will be flooded by more box-ticking applications you uneducated dill.

Over The Post

Quarantine Chimp
Nov 17, 2007
Bikini Atoll
AFL Club
Richmond

Animal farm. The feed bins were emptied long ago but the pigs are doing just fine, thanks.

Our wonderful leaders no doubt had to read Orwell for English in school, but missed the bit about AF and 1984 being warnings and not ******* instruction manuals.

Gough

Sep 29, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Animal farm. The feed bins were emptied long ago but the pigs are doing just fine, thanks.

Our wonderful leaders no doubt had to read Orwell for English in school, but missed the bit about AF and 1984 being warnings and not ******* instruction manuals.
My mate in Canberra quoted Orwell in the Senate the other week when I know for a fact the closest they've been his work was when they didn't read Animal Farm in year 9 English.

Bombermania

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2007
Counting premiership cups
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon
The thing that perhaps angers me most is that it's all well and good for them to be on two hundred grand per year (being an MP is long and hard hours I know) but a person looking for work is supposed to survive on $375 per week with rent assistance. And the reason is that they 'ought' to be taking some low-paid job in awful conditions for their business-owning mate who probably does not pay the minimum wage anyway. 'I've had SO MUCH TROUBLE hiring good staff!' Yeah and now you will be flooded by more box-ticking applications you uneducated dill.
The problem is the parliament is made up by many people that have never hired anyone or needed to find a job without help from their network. Some politicians don't even know basic centrelink rules as shown by calls for the city based unemployed to move to the country which would be in beech of the rules prohibiting the unemployed from moving to areas of higher unemployment.

Rotayjay

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
The problem is the parliament is made up by many people that have never hired anyone or needed to find a job without help from their network. Some politicians don't even know basic centrelink rules as shown by calls for the city based unemployed to move to the country which would be in beech of the rules prohibiting the unemployed from moving to areas of higher unemployment.
I'm so sick of journos saying that 'Jobseeker is ending'. It's not. Newstart Allowance was always going to change its name to Jobseeker Payment. By coincidence that was scheduled to happen a few days before the proverbial hit the fan, and then they decided to boost JSP with the supplement. It'll be called Jobseeker without a supplement until the next round of politicians decide to rename it again.

Rotayjay

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
While this is a Coalition government, this supposed 'hotline' for employers to dob in people who have refused jobs is a surprise and a terrible idea.

What legitimate business owner, without some axe to grind, is going to spend valuable time ringing some government hotline (no doubt staffed by idiots who know nothing about hiring, Centrelink or employment law) to dob in a 'job snob'?

Purely designed to create a culture of fear of employers and to please their friends who are whingeing about not being able to fill positions because the pay and conditions they are offering are crap.

Rotayjay

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
So an employer rings and says 'I offered this job at my factory to John Smith but he said no.'

Okay, so how does the hotline definitively link this accusation with John Edward Smith who is currently on Centrelink and lives 3 km away, or link it with John Robert Smith who is on Centrelink and lives 5 km away? Who is going to have their benefits cancelled with a waiting period? How does John make his case and rebut the accusation?

Ghost Patrol

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
So an employer rings and says 'I offered this job at my factory to John Smith but he said no.'

Okay, so how does the hotline definitively link this accusation with John Edward Smith who is currently on Centrelink and lives 3 km away, or link it with John Robert Smith who is on Centrelink and lives 5 km away? Who is going to have their benefits cancelled with a waiting period? How does John make his case and rebut the accusation?
Tell them that the employer wanted to pay in cash, under the table.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad