Club Mgmt. CEO: Craig Vozzo - Letter to members, two radio interviews in three days - 17/3

Remove this Banner Ad

I expect things to happen pretty swiftly now, no leaks as yet but I have no doubt stuff has been bubbling along in the background.

His responsibility to ensure all the things we couldn’t equip Rutten with for success are given to Scott.

• Footy manager in complete alignment with Scott
  • List manager in complete alignment with Scott
  • S+C gun (Is Murphy continuing? Haven’t heard a peep out of him recently)
  • experienced, onfield implementation players on the AFL and VFL lists to bring the way we want to play to life and lead by example.

Gut feel, Vozzo is about to do to Dodoro what Scar did to Mufasa in the lion king except afterwards there will be tears of joy.
I THINK you’re right…..but I’m gun shy after Heppell re-signing.

Hopefully that was a considered decision to retain some veteran leadership before going scorched earth on the rest of the joint.

It is line in the sand time for the new CEO. Has had a year to look at what is going on. Time to see if someone can make the decisions that need to be made or if we continue to be the Essington football club for another 20 years.

I THINK you’re right…..but I’m gun shy after Heppell re-signing.

Hopefully that was a considered decision to retain some veteran leadership before going scorched earth on the rest of the joint.
Heppell decision is based 100% on the fact they have serious reservations about the leadership depth and senior players trying to lead the way. It just shows how crap we really are that a bloke who is two years past it still ranks as someone we need to hang onto. Not saying I agree with it but I can see why they are doing it. People should not be really complaining about Heppell . Supporters need to actually see the bigger picture and that is the leadership amongst the players is easily the worst in the comp.

Heppell decision is based 100% on the fact they have serious reservations about the leadership depth and senior players trying to lead the way. It just shows how crap we really are that a bloke who is two years past it still ranks as someone we need to hang onto. Not saying I agree with it but I can see why they are doing it. People should not be really complaining about Heppell . Supporters need to actually see the bigger picture and that is the leadership amongst the players is easily the worst in the comp.
So why aren’t we targeting players who have leadership like West Coast, Brisbane and Melbourne have? We have cap room, if leadership is such an issue, pay these players overs until we have the standards.

So why aren’t we targeting players who have leadership like West Coast, Brisbane and Melbourne have? We have cap room, if leadership is such an issue, pay these players overs until we have the standards.
Trade period has not started yet. We will see what we get. Who they think can provide leadership on and off the field. Vosso and Scott are now entering their first off season . We have to wait and see what they do. Can not ask why yet. That comes in about 10 weeks.

If purple is senior leaders (27+ age, 150+ games), blue is junior leaders (24+ age, 100+ games), and green is solid contributor, best 22 player (50+ games)

Well it's not inspiring is it? Asking kids to lead when they hardly know what they're doing themselves.

And you look at that list and three are already off the list for next year, we have question marks over a few more. Talk of trading Shiel, delisting Kelly, trading Laverde, if you look at our trade thread lately... who is going to be left? Can't sack everyone.

Player Name% games played when available in 2023Contract EndsAgeCareer Games
Andrew Phillips100%202332.282
Dyson Heppell100%202431.3235
Dylan Shiel100%202430.5211
Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti35%202330.4132
James Stewart0%202429.578
Jake Stringer94%202429.4189
Nick Hind76%202429.080
Jake Kelly94%202428.6148
Zach Merrett100%202727.9206
Jayden Laverde100%202527.4110
Peter Wright100%202727.0119
Kyle Langford100%202626.7130
Sam Weideman89%202526.275
Darcy Parish100%202326.1150
Will Snelling75%202326.165
Matt Guelfi93%202426.096
Mason Redman100%202826.0103
Will Setterfield91%202425.667
Andrew McGrath100%202425.2134
Brandon Zerk-Thatcher100%202325.051
Sam Draper100%202524.957
Jordan Ridley100%202624.985
Rhett Montgomerie0%202323.20
Jye Caldwell100%202423.055
Harrison Jones100%202422.531
Nic Martin100%202422.444
Cian McBride0%202322.40
Sam Durham100%202422.149
Nick Bryan42%202521.914
Nik Cox55%202421.632
Zach Reid0%202521.58
Archie Perkins100%202421.462
Jaiden Hunter0%202321.40
Kaine Baldwin21%202421.38
Jye Menzie95%202420.823
Massimo D'Ambrosio42%202320.216
Patrick Voss0%202320.20
Ben Hobbs82%202520.035
Tex Wanganeen0%202419.95
Alastair Lord0%202319.81
Alwyn Davey Jnr56%202419.510
Jayden Davey0%202419.50
Anthony Munkara0%202318.90
Elijah Tsatas36%202418.94
Lewis Hayes0%202418.70

Last edited:
Say you get Boak in

He’s ancient. He has no relationships in the team. It takes him months to build those. The season is nearly over. He is out of the starting 22.

Not super beneficial.

Guys at 27 who are great leaders are usually expensive FA or trade targets.

You would want your big signings to bring a lot. McKay doesn’t seem a leader unfortunately. He seems like a mopey unit with massive hands. Hope I’m wrong.

Hodge was great at Brisbane but Brisbane already had far better young leaders than EFC. The other reason that worked is that Hodge and Fagan were of the same school so it all worked from day one - plus Hodge is probably one of the best 2 or 3 playing leaders in the last 20 years.

Clubs primarily need to develop leadership from within. It takes ages and won’t just automatically happen with time. Starts with recruiting true competitors. Hobbs and Caldwell are the only ones I see who could break the mold. Langford, McGrath, Draper.. more of the same.

Say you get Boak in

He’s ancient. He has no relationships in the team. It takes him months to build those. The season is nearly over. He is out of the starting 22.

Not super beneficial.

Guys at 27 who are great leaders are usually expensive FA or trade targets.

You would want your big signings to bring a lot. McKay doesn’t seem a leader unfortunately. He seems like a mopey unit with massive hands. Hope I’m wrong.

Hodge was great at Brisbane but Brisbane already had far better young leaders than EFC. The other reason that worked is that Hodge and Fagan were of the same school so it all worked from day one - plus Hodge is probably one of the best 2 or 3 playing leaders in the last 20 years.

Clubs primarily need to develop leadership from within. It takes ages and won’t just automatically happen with time. Starts with recruiting true competitors. Hobbs and Caldwell are the only ones I see who could break the mold. Langford, McGrath, Draper.. more of the same.
I don’t think it takes Boak months to build relationships or respect. He’d have respect the moment he walks through the door.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think it takes Boak months to build relationships or respect. He’d have respect the moment he walks through the door.
They would respect him but you can’t just walk into the joint and immediately starts dishing out guidance and advice

That stuff is way more impactful when people personally know and trust you

They would respect him but you can’t just walk into the joint and immediately starts dishing out guidance and advice

Yeh you can if you’ve got the runs on the board like boak, who is universally respected throughout the competition. So you’re saying if selwood/ hodge came to the club for one year as a player the group wouldn’t take their words/ vision because they don’t personally know they, that’s not just the case.

Yeh you can if you’ve got the runs on the board like boak, who is universally respected throughout the competition. So you’re saying if selwood/ hodge came to the club for one year as a player the group wouldn’t take their words/ vision because they don’t personally know they, that’s not just the case.
Exactly

Given zach actively rings these guys for advice, i imagine they'd be setting examples day 1

The players wouldn't listen and respect Boak, Selwood, Hodge or the ghost of Ron Barassi if we could get them in. They a special breed of s**t heads who have no respect for or interest in anything outside of their own inflated sense of self worth.

Not sure where you work but picture a new colleague coming in, not your boss, just experienced, and ask if you want him telling you on day one that you need to work harder

latest

Best sack the coach then and get Truck back :cool:
Think you can walk in and lead the way if you are a proven leader that has respect in the competition. Not like it is coming in kicking ass and taking numbers now days.
Not sure where you work but picture a new colleague coming in, not your boss, just experienced, and ask if you want him telling you on day one that you need to work harder
To start with it is a football club and not a normal work place. They bring in new coaches all the time , senior and assistant . It is also a specialized workplace they already know what Boak is about and have an idea of how he operates. It would take under a week to gain the respect if he comes in and simply drives the standards the coach is setting. Of course he can come in and ask you to work harder. He can say if you want to be a side that is in the top 4 then this is how you do it. It is called proven experience and if our blokes resent it then they are not the players you want as they are on the list just to play AFL football and not win a premiership. The ones who really want to win will follow.

Aged well, Zach Package.

Nostradumbass rides again.

Vozzo has come in and got the lay of the land, and now he's shaking the tree. A considered shaking, if you will.

I wonder how Mahoney plays into it though. We all assume he lost the battle with Dodoro but if this has been cooking since April he's probably been involved in the selection process for a successor and knowing Dodoro would be out next year, it's entirely possible he just left for a more high profile gig.

I also wonder whether Rosa has had any input into what we do this year and whether that influences who we chase or draft and whether he's met with McKay in particular, if I was McKay I would be on the phone this morning wanting to know whether Rosa also wants me at the footy club.

It is a little bit stage managed, but it probably avoids the 'Essendon in turmoil' headlines that would inevitably come from our list manager stepping down days before the exchange period starts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back