Preview Changes and Preview Thread vs Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got joshs' fingerprints all over it. We've already moved into post hinks mode, bookmark it boys n girls.

On aa Josh spoke of a collaboratry coaching panel which I took to mean, leave the kenneth on the bench and out of it.

In fact, turn his headset off.

Frank the Tank and le Frog are both safe options and well deserved.

Like'm both

Rather than running things by Ken in the box whilst he sips Pepsi maybe they tell Ken what they are doing now whilst he chats to players. The change of dynamic has obviously helped.

I’m probably the only Bassett fan in this board and he’s a way smarter coach than Ken, he’s just played the game/politics longer, maybe he’s off the leash a bit more now too, he’s always bagged for defence but what are we suddenly very good at….

Dont think Bonner deserves to be in the 22, he has been poor in his last few games, and is lucky that it was his turn as sub, with Duursma injured. Would have preferred Sinn in, but am also happy for him to keep building in the Maggies - His time will come.

Stop with the Teakle bashing! Rewatching the game, he had a much better game than I thought watching live. If he had taken those three dropped marks,we would all have given him a tick ... He is, and will keep, getting better. I remember English in his first years - he was ordinary at best. They just persisted & gave him time. Big men need time, and Teakle needs to play in the Power group to grow.

Cant be bothered getting angry over the Jonas return - He is the Captain, and should be playing. I used up all my anger when he was appointed as '23 Captain. Huge mistake, but it is done ... move on.

I want the sub to be a fast, exciting impact player to take advantage of tired bodies.

Dumont is not that.

It's like the Crows picking the Goonies kid.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
There's a bit of a balancing act between having a fully fit side out there, and then bringing a bloke on late to run rampant as you say, and having a genuine back up in case someone goes down injured early.

I think Dumont is lacking in the first category, but is pretty good for the second - I'd trust him to fill a hole anywhere on the ground.

Cant be bothered getting angry over the Jonas return - He is the Captain, and should be playing. I used up all my anger when he was appointed as '23 Captain. Huge mistake, but it is done ... move on.
Disagree here, if he was injured or returning from an injury you would expect him to have a run or two in the two's - he's pretty much cooked physically and terribly out of form. We all complain about the 'gold pass club' and having the no.1 on your back should not make you immune from having the same selection standards which should be in play.

Disagree here, if he was injured or returning from an injury you would expect him to have a run or two in the two's - he's pretty much cooked physically and terribly out of form. We all complain about the 'gold pass club' and having the no.1 on your back should not make you immune from having the same selection standards which should be in play.
He's not returning from an injury though. He's returning from a suspension.

May I ask why you pay attention to the positions players are named as on the team sheet?

Has there been a time where the team sheet has served as an accurate dataset for you or something?

We all know where DBJ will play.

And it's not in defense.
The AFL, Advertiser and our Websites have different positions; albeit slightly.
For example, some have McEntee and Bonner on the bench (at different sites).
From the extended bench, Rioli, Williams and Drew will play, leaving one spot + the sub available.
Burgoyne and the good Lord should drop out, leaving a choice between; Bonner, McEntee, Evans or Dumont.

I am hoping Dumont and Evans are given a chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rather than running things by Ken in the box whilst he sips Pepsi maybe they tell Ken what they are doing now whilst he chats to players. The change of dynamic has obviously helped.

I’m probably the only Bassett fan in this board and he’s a way smarter coach than Ken, he’s just played the game/politics longer, maybe he’s off the leash a bit more now too, he’s always bagged for defence but what are we suddenly very good at….
For all the Teakle bashers; Josh, our mid coach is selecting the ruck (on record as being impressed by his leap pre-season).
And Dante Visentini , not Hayes has been named on the ball for the Magpies (with Lycett starting on the bench).

The rest of his post is correct though. Being captain shouldn't save him from being dropped when his form warrants it
Winning has saved the Captain’s spot.
Oh, well; I do hope we do not have to test my hypothesis.

The issue with Teakle is that sooner or later one of these opposition ruckmen will not only be BOG but will hurt us on the scoreboard too and Draper could be the man.
Ken is not picking Teakle; Josh, our mid-filed Coach is.

The rest of his post is correct though. Being captain shouldn't save him from being dropped when his form warrants it
Arguably true ... But its just not going to happen this early in the season. Why, because of pride. The club endorsed him as captain ... and he clearly looked cooked by round 2 onwards. They wont admit to the mistake by dropping him, because he isnt just "out of form," he looks cooked! Dropping him now essentially equates to cutting him, and admitting they were wrong.

Depending on circumstances, I could see them dropping him later in the year, and blaming some injury for curtailing his career.

Arguably true ... But its just not going to happen this early in the season. Why, because of pride. The club endorsed him as captain ... and he clearly looked cooked by round 2 onwards. They wont admit to the mistake by dropping him, because he isnt just "out of form," he looks cooked! Dropping him now essentially equates to cutting him, and admitting they were wrong.

Depending on circumstances, I could see them dropping him later in the year, and blaming some injury for curtailing his career.
Pretty much everyone could see that reappointing him captain was a mistake because the reality is that he's very much borderline best 22 (being generous). Everyone except those responsible for appointing the captain.

Yes, a mid-season retirement precedent was set by Captain Dom Cassini (and Kane): knowing it was his farewell game, Dom was nearly BOG.
Win for the Club and a win for the player.

Compare that to how North retire their Champions.
Where North destroyed their culture and values when they culled Boomer Harvey and three other champs on the same day.
What other club would force their record holder into retirement with an email.

They are reduced to a strategy of continual begging of the AFL for handouts, hoping to delist their way to the No# 1 draft picks.
Where after receiving concession last year, they are already bleating for more draft concessions this year.

Oh, well; any decent player will leave with Clarko where he coaches Tassie.

He wouldn't come through the two's from a one week injury though. That usually only happens for longer term injuries.

To be fair, the first few weeks he was playing out of position. No McKenzie or Clurey means he was undersized, and then oversized with Burton out.

He's looked ok since then. Still don't think he's best 22, but hasn't been as bad.

Is there any excuse for fitness staff or captaincy decision makers that they weren’t able to detect he was going to be “clearly cooked” by round 2 and therefore why the heck you would appoint him captain for 2023? Surely fitness technology today would detect if someone was going to struggle with the rigours of AFL early on in the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back