Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion Round 11 v Crows away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven’t seen him mentioned yet, but McCarthy is pretty banged up, and is slow to get up after a few contests.

Might be worth giving him a rest, and bring Lohmann in.

Crows also have two very dangerous half forwards in Rankine and Rachelle who like to get up the ground and help the midfield. Both need a lock down job done on them.

Does he need 2 weeks off?

Starce and McKenna will take care of them. If Rankine plays

I haven’t seen him mentioned yet, but McCarthy is pretty banged up, and is slow to get up after a few contests.

Crows also have two very dangerous half forwards in Rankine and Rachelle who like to get up the ground and help the midfield. Both need a lock down job done on them.
Think Rankine may be cited from an incident during the bulldogs game.

Last week a lot of posters wanted Fullerton in after he kicked 6. Fullarton followed it up with 0 this week.
This week it is Lohmann as he kicked 7 v the bottom team.
Jarrod Lyons had 44 disposals 9 marks and 10 clearances and 1 goal.
Lyons most likely misses out along with Robertson who had 38 disposals 2 marks 8 clearances and 1 goal.

I did not see the game, but it was a 117 point thrashing.

Rich should have another week off and come back through the VFL. They may not do that but i think they should.
Gardiner another run in the VFL should have him close to AFL fitness. No need for him to be rushed back also.
If any/either of those two come back it should be v Hawks after the bye.

The reality is we have an undefeated VFL team with the AFL side most likely sitting 2nd or possibly top of the ladder after the weekend.
A great place to be in after 10 rounds. Long may it continue.

I've been querying Linc being banged up and needing a break for a few weeks. He seems to be the player that gets whacked and limps around the most every week. He keeps on going and doing his job but he looks sore

Change for changes sake is problematic. Still haven't heard a convincing argument as to why changing our lineup, and therefore how we play, is going to improve our win rate or percentage.

Change only for injury or an obvious rest is the way I'd go. Rich obviously being the tricky call.

Thought it was a bit longer than that but fair point.

Maybe it would've been an opportunity to practice finding a way through when the opposition clogs it up in our forward half rather than just passing it to each other in a vacant half.. Which seems to be becoming more prevalent against us this year.

I mean I feel like it’s not worth the risk in addition to the fact that Gold Coast at that point weren’t exactly giving it 100%. We piled on 6 goals straight in the last quarter and made a 5 point lead a 43 point lead. I’m not sure there was much else to learn in the final three minutes against a capitulated opponent.

I agree we need to practice finding a way through a clogged up forward half. However I think that practice comes from encountering it during a time where the game is not yet decided. I feel second/fourth quarter Freo and third/fourth quarter Essendon are good examples of us finding a way through it.

I think the problem is when we end up carving these teams up it doesn’t give the perception that they are flooding the backline. I feel although we haven’t scored at incredible rates our defence has benefitted greatly from having 1-2 spares down back to capitalise of the opposition making rushed kicks to no one since their entire team is behind the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We most likely stick to the same team next week.
If there is a change it will be a minor one.
The Crows had a bad loss away but should get Walker and possibly Thilthorpe & Doedee back.

Looking at the Ladder most teams occupying different positions compared to the same round last year.
Lions are the same sitting in 2nd position. North and Eagles also the same being 17th & 18th.
Things did not go as well in the 2nd half of the year for the Lions.
However, it feels like we are in a better position having a healthy list and adding some better players.

1684666938306.png

We most likely stick to the same team next week.
If there is a change it will be a minor one.
The Crows had a bad loss away but should get Walker and possibly Thilthorpe & Doedee back.

Looking at the Ladder most teams occupying different positions compared to the same round last year.
Lions are the same sitting in 2nd position. North and Eagles also the same being 17th & 18th.
Things did not go as well in the 2nd half of the year for the Lions.
However, it feels like we are in a better position having a healthy list and adding some better players.

View attachment 1693395

I would say Melbourne, Carlton, St Kilda, Geelong, Collingwood and to a lesser extent Brisbane all show a great reason as to why the first half of the season means very little.

We are in a much better position like you said. I think our recruits and defensive mindset have been the biggest change. However, it’s really been beneficial to not have Hipwood come back from an ACL halfway through the year and Daniher not playing half an arm down.

Gunston 'rested' and Lohmann in. Rayner to play more forward 50 minutes as the 3rd tall.

I'd try and find a way to play Ah Chee for a full game as well.

We definitely still need Zorko this year - can't move on from him yet.
Thats what I think too.

In - Lohmann / Ah Chee / Prior (if Kiddy is out injured)
Out - Gunston (rested) / Sharp / Kiddy (if hes injured)

I'm still not sold Sharp whatsoever.

I wonder if Answerth will come into consideration as he's more a lockdown back pocket that could play on these types?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Starce has taken Rankine on when he was at Suns, expecting the same now. Wilmot or McKenna, take your pick for Rachele.

I think our backline looks pretty balanced now in terms of defensive and attacking smalls.

Our midfield really needs to play four quarters. We’ve already seen how quickly teams can score against us and it’s much harder to win back momentum away from home.

I still have a few nightmares from round one. I’m just hoping it isn’t an Adelaide Oval-mental thing or the start of it.

⬅️ Sharp out. He’s getting better but would prefer a bit more experience. Ah Chee did absolutely fine when he came on.

▶️ Rich in. If he’s ready then forget about the VFL. This is probably the toughest match of the year for us so far. We need him in.

Change for changes sake is problematic. Still haven't heard a convincing argument as to why changing our lineup, and therefore how we play, is going to improve our win rate or percentage.

Change only for injury or an obvious rest is the way I'd go. Rich obviously being the tricky call.
You obviously love Gunston then , because he's contributed absolutely zero this year, nothing but a liability at the moment. Play a rayner in his spot and bring in a Lyons matho,achvee or dev.

Our midfield really needs to play four quarters. We’ve already seen how quickly teams can score against us and it’s much harder to win back momentum away from home.

I still have a few nightmares from round one. I’m just hoping it isn’t an Adelaide Oval-mental thing or the start of it.

⬅️ Sharp out. He’s getting better but would prefer a bit more experience. Ah Chee did absolutely fine when he came on.

▶️ Rich in. If he’s ready then forget about the VFL. This is probably the toughest match of the year for us so far. We need him in.

Don't think Rich will be back this week.

I would say Melbourne, Carlton, St Kilda, Geelong, Collingwood and to a lesser extent Brisbane all show a great reason as to why the first half of the season means very little.

We are in a much better position like you said. I think our recruits and defensive mindset have been the biggest change. However, it’s really been beneficial to not have Hipwood come back from an ACL halfway through the year and Daniher not playing half an arm down.

Regarding the bolded.
I assume you mean how the team is performing.
With a better team performance going into the 2nd half of the year and of course finals.
Like Geelong winning 16 in a row starting with their round 10 win.

Because you are unlikely to make the final 8 if you lose to many games in the 1st half of the year.

As you say Hippy and Jo were at 60%.
Then we had our defense issues with Adams. That at least gave Payne a run of games that's become very beneficial this year.

The thing about Sharp is he has had a good little run in the team. Can go back to the 2nds knowing what he needs to work on with an increased understanding of the speed of the AFL.

That’s precisely what we were asking from Fagan this year.

Would be good to see Dev, Tunstill, Lohmann in particular get a few games in a row if injuries / form allow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back