Prediction Changes Dogs V North 18/6/2013

Remove this Banner Ad

On Cleary: I would like to see Cleary sooner rather than later, but Croz is a better more well rounded defender at this stage.
Cleary is probably one of the better kicks at the club and it does catch the eye at vfl level. Still unsure if he has that harder edge to his game, while Crozier has always been courageous in the air.

Its no coincidence that we won 7 from 8 games when these three were all playing in the same time.

Nor is a coincidence that we've lost 3 in a row without 2 of them.

We have an absolute dearth of players who can play these attacking utilities across the ground. The situation is so bad that we lose all momentum as soon as we lose just two running players.

The reality is that with the rotating smorgasbord of bog average mids that we have on the fringes of the side. There isn't a single player who can be guaranteed to be on the list for reasons other than the need for warm bodies to make up the numbers over the next couple of years.

For all of the pie in the sky discussion about trading for this un-contracted player or that un-contracted player. If this club doesn't clean out and address the quality of its midfield depth, then it’s on a precipitous slide back into years of mediocrity.
I agree, yet our coach only played JJ in a last minute swap 3 or 4 weeks into the season - so he obviously doesn’t agree.

Another lucky move that I’m sure people will claim Bevo brilliance for, moving our norm smith medal winning defender, to defence! Bloody genius

I agree, yet our coach only played JJ in a last minute swap 3 or 4 weeks into the season - so he obviously doesn’t agree.

Another lucky move that I’m sure people will claim Bevo brilliance for, moving our norm smith medal winning defender, to defence! Bloody genius
The move of a red headed small forward to defence was just as brilliant.

Just out of curiosity. Does any stats genius here know what Bevo's win/Loss ratio is against Ratten?
I'm no stats genius, but I believe St Kilda won their first three games against us when Ratten took over and then we won the last two (2021 and 2022) before he was sacked.

Last edited:
To be a top team like Port (who I think will win the flag) or the Pies you need to take the game on through the corridor. To employ this game plan you need speed, good decision makers and players who are elite by foot. The dogs do not have many that fit into this criteria and are forced into a different style of play that probably only succeeds against the likes of Port and Pies if they have below game for their standards.

PS
If Port were not going well enough and we allow them to grab a player like Narkle when we could have had him is dumb decision. He would have been straight into our team.

A spud is not a spud if he is not our spud

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

My concern about this game is that North will be playing with a very young list with flair and zest. I'd have stuck with Arty to provide the same for us. If he doesn't get near it again, then drop him at the bye. Instead, we have brought in state-league quality players who will all try their hardest, but have limited pace, skill and/or scope to influence the contest. I hope I'm wrong but I reckon we are very beatable this week.

JJ played one game at HF this season.

I think we'd be looking back with rose tinted glasses if we didn't acknowledge the drop in form that JJ was exhibiting in the years post his winning the Norm Smith. In my view the likes of Dale and Daniel had gone past him as creative Half backs and Duryea and Crozier were playing the lock down roles not at all suited to JJ. The coach also needed to find a place to get the best out of Richards' immense potential. Because he wasn't showing an ability to transition onto a wing or at half forward. It was only with the unavailability of Duryea in round 3, the decline of Croziers form and the move of Daniel into the midfield that a position was opened up for JJ to return to his traditional role in defence. That another slot in defence was being taken up by an immobile tall with poor foot skills is a subject that Ive done to death...

I also think that until injured last year that JJ was averaging ≈ a goal a game and bringing some desperately needed speed and ability to deliver the ball forward with accuracy to the side. So it wasn't as bad as some including his partner made it out to be. Its something that we haven't replaced.

My concern about this game is that North will be playing with a very young list with flair and zest. I'd have stuck with Arty to provide the same for us. If he doesn't get near it again, then drop him at the bye. Instead, we have brought in state-league quality players who will all try their hardest, but have limited pace, skill and/or scope to influence the contest. I hope I'm wrong but I reckon we are very beatable this week.
There no way his form justified playing him another week.

Enthusiasm can only carry a player so far and that point was 3 weeks ago.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity. Does any stats genius here know what Bevo's win/Loss ratio is against Ratten?

This was pre-Geelong game, so now even worse records v Hinkley & Chris Scott

Luke Beveridge vs current AFL coaches​

Sam Mitchell 3-0 (100%)
Craig McRae 1-0 (100%)
Adam Kingsley 1-0 (100%)
Michael Voss 1-0 (100%)
Matthew Nicks 3-1 (75%)
Stuart Dew 5-2 (71.4%)
Chris Fagan 7-3 (70%)
John Longmire 7-4 (63.6%)
Brad Scott 5-3 (62.5%)
Justin Longmuir 3-2 (60%)
Adam Simpson 7-5 (58.3%)
Ken Hinkley 5-8 (38.5%)
Brett Ratten 2-3 (40%)
Simon Goodwin 4-7 (36.4%)
Ross Lyon 2-6 (25%)
CHRIS SCOTT 2-9 (18.2%)

*Beveridge was 5-4 (55.6%) against Damien Hardwick; yet to coach against Richmond caretaker Andrew McQualter

Not confident for this game.

You would think / hope that the bench comprises Scott, West, Baker, Hannan with Crozier as sub.

Disappointing not to have seen Bedendo this year due to injury, but also disappointed that Cleary hasn’t been given opportunities.

The coach is happy to play JOD and Arty when they aren’t quite ready, but does not provide Cleary with the same chance. For some reason I feel that Bedendo would be in the same category if fit.

To be a top team like Port (who I think will win the flag) or the Pies you need to take the game on through the corridor. To employ this game plan you need speed, good decision makers and players who are elite by foot. The dogs do not have many that fit into this criteria and are forced into a different style of play that probably only succeeds against the likes of Port and Pies if they have below game for their standards.

PS
If Port were not going well enough and we allow them to grab a player like Narkle when we could have had him is dumb decision. He would have been straight into our team.
Funny thing is, in both games v them we had our chances to win. So if you think they will win the flag, then we aren’t fat off

Not confident for this game.

You would think / hope that the bench comprises Scott, West, Baker, Hannan with Crozier as sub.

Disappointing not to have seen Bedendo this year due to injury, but also disappointed that Cleary hasn’t been given opportunities.

The coach is happy to play JOD and Arty when they aren’t quite ready, but does not provide Cleary with the same chance. For some reason I feel that Bedendo would be in the same category if fit.
I’ll be happy to see Scott West on the bench

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like it to be honest.
You’d assume McNeil will be the sub.

Whatever the changes are, if the ins include Hannan & O’Brien, I’d honestly think of packing it in

window fuck this GIF

If McComb is to ever make it, he needs his attack on the ball and man to be Clay Smith like. That has to be is one wood and point of differentiation within our squad
You can’t develop that kind of characteristic unfortunately. Clay was one of a kind and would have been a handful as a 11 year old.

Jones still had 6 tackles last week. Hope Hannan is ready to put in the hard yards. Whatever we get from O’Brien will be better than JOD and Bruce. Baker will be a bonus I guess.
Pretty much this. O’Brien is the best of the ordinary defenders we have and if Keath can play the second defender role I don’t mind O’Brien as the third banana.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back